Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the site

3 posters

Go down

New to the site Empty New to the site

Post  Gumbo Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:30 am

Hello everyone, I've been poking around here for about a year as a visitor, getting very near to having to buy a new tire. After several motorcycle tires, I am seriously considering going to the dark side. Have some really good trips planed for the March - April time frame Cool I ride a 2007 1300R, I would appreciate any suggestions on tire combinations meaning front / rear combinations that have worked well for you.
Live in Texas and have a lot of different riding opportunities from hills / twister's and some HWY, I try to avoid the interstate unless there is no other option What a Face
Ready to give it a go, thanks for your suggestions and experience with the dark side. Cool
Gumbo
Gumbo

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

New to the site Empty Re: New to the site

Post  CaribCruiser Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:35 am

Hey Gumbo, congrats joining us, but beware of the devil. Wink
I can't help you out advising front/rear combination. I'm sure others will help you out soon.
Just start with the rear, find yourself a nice tire, check the tire calculator to see what size is the best once
you have decided which width you want to go.
After that when your stock front tire run out, go with a Metzler or Avon.
Check this post, a lot of tires will be mentioned.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/vtx-1300-tech-f11/listing-of-most-common-or-preferred-car-tires-for-stock-vtx-1300-t2857.htm?highlight=tires

Also use the search engine to find topics you're interested in.
Good Luck and let us know once you're done.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Hey Gumbo, same bike I have. You can do a 205/65/15 or a 205/70/15 rear tire. Try to keep the bead width at 5" or less. I currently have a Yokohama Avid touring tire 205/70/15. Got it at discount tire, and they mounted it too. I've been on a ct for a couple years and if my memory isn't totally gone this tire feel almost identical to a mt as far as response and turning goes. We live about 50 miles apart, if you would like to get together and try my setup send me a PM.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumbo Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks for the replies, CaribCruiser not sure what watch for the devil means, must be a Caribbean thing Shocked

Jedishon, thanks for the offer, 50 miles in nothing for me, I am still about 2 months out from making the move, going to do my research before it jump. I ride with more than a few folks on CT and they seem to be happy with the move. Good info thanks again.
Gumbo
Gumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:46 am

Hey Gumbo, it's not a Caribbean thing. Although things go quite different here and
after 15 yrs still not always make sense to me, they're not spooky over here.
It was just to say beware, since there are persons who say that we're doomed Wink
Enjoy the rides and have good turnover !
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumbo Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm

CaribCruiser wrote:Hey Gumbo, it's not a Caribbean thing. Although things go quite different here and
after 15 yrs still not always make sense to me, they're not spooky over here.
It was just to say beware, since there are persons who say that we're doomed Wink
Enjoy the rides and have good turnover !
Robert.

Believe me I've heard it all, from the good to the bad, but I have always been a test pilot of sorts, I aint scared of the Evil or Very Mad
My bet is you have some crazy riding there cheers Bro ride long , ride safe
Gumbo
Gumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down