Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dynabead like tech

+11
Painter D
mcleod9
Ikantride55
Rambler
twin1300
Fly
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Lou
Larry Simpson
quadancer
Stickyfrog
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dynabead like tech - Page 3 Empty Re: Dynabead like tech

Post  quadancer Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:42 am

Awright guys, take it easy; we're actually on the same team - were it not for debate, this country would be run by blind idiots...oh, waitaminnit, there was no debate and it IS...
I have to agree with Fly the second time...EXCEPT...if you go on the dynabead website and look at the operating principles at work, you'll understand that it's NOT centrifugal force that makes them accumulate on the light side of the tire/wheel, and it does make perfect sense when you think about it. Lateral forces, or centripetal forces, take over after centrifugal force has moved them to the perimeter of the wheel.
http://innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
I'm wondering how you worded your requests to the trucking companies. They can be VERY ticklish over lawsuits, and may think you're one of their ex-drivers looking for some free bucks, which happens all the time.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:45 am

Whatever melts your wax I guess. I could give a crap less if someone uses the beads or not (their loss) I just know about my own experience and speak with facts. I love it when people try to prove me wrong.

Painter D

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 am

quadancer wrote:Awright guys, take it easy; we're actually on the same team - were it not for debate, this country would be run by blind idiots...oh, waitaminnit, there was no debate and it IS...
I have to agree with Fly the second time...EXCEPT...if you go on the dynabead website and look at the operating principles at work, you'll understand that it's NOT centrifugal force that makes them accumulate on the light side of the tire/wheel, and it does make perfect sense when you think about it. Lateral forces, or centripetal forces, take over after centrifugal force has moved them to the perimeter of the wheel.
http://innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
I'm wondering how you worded your requests to the trucking companies. They can be VERY ticklish over lawsuits, and may think you're one of their ex-drivers looking for some free bucks, which happens all the time.

Thanks for posting that site, I normally don't bother looking at manufacture sites to try and determine if what they are selling is worthwhile, or snake-oil. However, I did look and follow the post to look up centripetal force. The centripetal forces you, and they, speak of, did require some study on my part, it's been a long time since I've been in any classroom. Other than the name and how they explain the forces, there really is very little, if any, difference between it than centrifugal forces. Regardless, an object in motion will move in a straight line, except with outside forces acting on it. I can understand the concept that a heavy part of a tire/wheel would cause the tire to move up when it was on top, and cause the balls to move towards the lighter side. Something that I'll have to consider, and do a bit more research about. This is something that I'd not considered. Looking at other site covering the centripetal forces did not explain why it would work to either move balls to the light side, but as I said, it's been a long, long time since I've sit in a classroom or had to wrap my mind around concepts like this.

My email to the trucking companies was that I was writing a paper covering truck safety, and had been informed that they used small all bearings devices such as Dyna-Beads in their tires, instead of, or in conjugation with balancing them. I received a reply from 2 of the firms in a couple of days, but as this was very close to Xmas, and it's now just over New Year's, I didn't even expect those two replies. So, I know for a fact, as replied by them, that 2 of the 5 largest trucking companies do not use anything in their tires, the other 3 have not yet and may never answer. Lawsuits are far too common and companies have to be very careful of any remarks.

Something that those of you using these beads must consider is using a pre-determined weight of beads to fit all tire/rims of the same size/weight. If there is too much weight added, it might balance out. If too little weight of balls were added, the only possible results would still be an unbalanced tire, if it worked exactly how the company stated.

I'll even answer painter;s rather hateful post. You give no 'facts', you can only call others names. You deserve no respect, nor no serious consideration in this whole thread.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  VTXCarl Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:50 am

Larry Simpson wrote:When I first installed dynabeads I left the weights in place for a while and rode it ,then removed weights and rode ,couldn't tell any difference at all so in my opinion doesn't make a noticable difference.
study
I have a 06 "F" that I just put on a Kumho 215/45/18 CT. I left the weights on to see difference tween stock Dun and the new tire.Some vibes,but not a lot after about 2/300 miles, then took off weights and again some vibes after another 2/300 miles.
Put in the Dyna-Beads and was very impressed with the smoothness. I already had them in the front months before. What a Face cheers
VTXCarl
VTXCarl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Fly hit on the one thing I've wondered a bit about. They seem to have come to a middle of the road weight measurement for CT's and MT's, which I suppose is the best they can do and still sell the product.
This tells me two things as I see it:
1.) They're usually right.
2.) They can't always be right.
So there will be some who have tires more than the 3-4 ounces out of balance that the beads won't weigh enough to counter, but that's not normal. I have had, however, some CT's that were even 6 oz or so out of balance.
From my experiment with the Harley, and 4oz. of lead weights I took off the back, it is apparent that the beads do a little more than an even comparison: 3 oz. of beads balanced the same as the 4 oz. of lead I took off, before and after the removal.
FROM all this, I extrapolate that IF you have a tire that has MORE than 4 oz. of lead on it, you probably should add a few more beads. I see no apparent problem with having too many, since they will tend to counterbalance themselves as well.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Fly.
I guess you took my post(s) the wrong way. Hateful? Hmmm, someone gets easily offended by the facts. I DO have the facts. I've seen several videos explaining and showing the balancing process, which is proof enough for me. I also use the beads in several of my own vehicles, so there is more proof that they work.
I could care less of you don't believe the facts. I just told you and several others have also, and you still have your doubts. So I guess we'll eventually see who is right and who is ....

Painter D

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:56 am

Painter D wrote:Fly.
I guess you took my post(s) the wrong way. Hateful? Hmmm, someone gets easily offended by the facts. I DO have the facts. I've seen several videos explaining and showing the balancing process, which is proof enough for me. I also use the beads in several of my own vehicles, so there is more proof that they work.
I could care less of you don't believe the facts. I just told you and several others have also, and you still have your doubts. So I guess we'll eventually see who is right and who is ....

Your previous post"
It's really no use even discussing the issue with one who doesn't believe it with even a video that proves it works. Like it's been said, "You can't fix stupid"! It's a fricken scientific fact that proves it works. Some can be told the sky is blue and they can look right at it and claim it isn't."
No, I took your previous post exactly as you meant it, you can't remove something in print. That video is an excellent marketing gimmick, good to show the gullible how great some product might be. Easily faked, and shows no "proof" of anything, and there are no "facts" in either of your post, you merely refer to an easily faked video. I do not believe advertisements, and taught my children and am teaching my grandchildren that all advertising is nothing but smoke, mirrors and lies.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 am

Except in the cases where the product actually works. I mean, get real man, not EVERYTHING is a scam. However, if an ad comes to you on the net that you didn't click on to get it, 95% of those are scams, according to Scambusters.
http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=Fkqc_&m=1ZNtVGgwJWtWfo&b=APIVsjBDatAU6JW_JHj0tw

I intend to try the bottle trick: somewhere I saw they took a bottle and spun it with a drill, with dynabeads inside. It began wobbling like heck, but then straightened out once it got going. Pretty cool.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 am

Yes,the facts are out there if you open your eyes. It obviously has not caught on just yet.
I've seen years ago when they came out with the ball-bearing disc that goes between the wheel and the hub to balance the tire (on cars) and it worked back then. So when I read about the Dyna Beads, I jumped on the idea because I had already known it worked. I guess even when people see things work, they still are skeptical to try them. Why? Who the hell knows?
If a tire is out of balance and bounces while driving, and you put the Dyna beads in (thru the valve stem) and it rides smooth as glass...that's pretty much proof that they do work. It did for me.

Painter D

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 am

Painter D wrote: I've seen years ago when they came out with the ball-bearing disc that goes between the wheel and the hub to balance the tire (on cars) and it worked back then.
Did you see the first post? Wasn't that it?
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 am

No Quadancer,
I've seen other ones that were similar to the one on the video. That is actually the first time I've seen that video demonstration with the small wheel, but it just proves the point pretty much the same way.

Painter D

Back to top Go down

Post  imabass Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I bought a couple baggies of these things at the locat tire shop. they are not "dyna" brand but are a generic that they use in big truck tires. $10 / bag (i think that was 6.5 oz). Havent installed them but look forwad to it. Plan to get them in the VTX first. If that goes well they will probably end up in my other bikes, then cars.
imabass
imabass

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-01-14

http://www.SOHC750.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:24 am

They may be advertised as "big truck tires", however. Only two of the 5 largest trucking companies in the US answered my quest to see if they were used in the big rigs on the highway. These 2 companies stated they do not use beads in any of their tires or trucks. The only one to completely answer my question stated that they used nothing in any tire, and only balanced the two steering tires.

So, advertisements and if they work or not aside, trucking firms do not seem to use them.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Now you're extrapolating information from a lack of information. You don't know squat until the others respond. Remember, they're all afraid of more lawsuits - everybody, including cops, think the truck companies are rich targets. It's actually a nasty rat race.
Imabass, do you have a link to those beads? That sounds like a REALLY good price, compared to the originals, which I thought were ridiculously expensive.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  imabass Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:47 pm

quadancer wrote:Imabass, do you have a link to those beads? That sounds like a REALLY good price, compared to the originals, which I thought were ridiculously expensive.

I wasn't sucessful in locating an online store for these. The ones that I bought were Tech Plus TL200 (6.5 oz) Tire Balancing Compound. I paid $10 per bag at my local tire shop. Here is the company website. http://www.techtire.com/ProdPages/Featured-TechPlus.htm

I bought mine at Hercules Tire in Tulsa OK. (http://www.herculestiresales.com/)
imabass
imabass

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 am

That was interesting. According to their application chart, it starts with very small tires and goes up to tractor trailer tires. My Vredestein size is the smallest car tire there is in a 16", as I knew from my DS hunting. I still want to get some more testimonies from RideOn users. The idea of balance and hole leak repair is the best if it works.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 am

quadancer wrote:Now you're extrapolating information from a lack of information. You don't know squat until the others respond. Remember, they're all afraid of more lawsuits - everybody, including cops, think the truck companies are rich targets. It's actually a nasty rat race.
Imabass, do you have a link to those beads? That sounds like a REALLY good price, compared to the originals, which I thought were ridiculously expensive.

Actually, I'm going by the only information I have, and not trying to extrapolate anything. If I had wanted to do that, I'd say that all trucking firms that I've dealt with say they don't use any beads or marbles in their tires. I stated that only 2 had returned my emails. I'll also add that one was the largest trucking firm in the US, and they I must presume have as good lawyers as other trucking firms. I've not tried to pad anything to 'prove' anything.

I've also stated that my initial reason for contacting trucking firms, was a statement on this forum, in this thread, that trucking firms used Dyna-bead technology in their tires. That does not seem to be a true statement, only advertising lies.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am

Well, the statement "Trucking firms do not seem to use them" was what I referred to. That's a strong statement from getting only one reply; that's all I meant.
If we polled, say, 100 companies and got 50 answers, then we could make an assumption of some merit. Again, I do know that some OO's (Owner Operators) use them. And even if trucking companies don't, it doesn't negate the function of the beads.
A nice trick would be to put a wheel weight on at random and ride it. Notice the vibration. Then add the beads without removing the weight and ride again.
I bet I know what's gonna happen.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  imabass Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 am

I agree. Your sample size is too small to make such projections. What about going to one of the large truck stops and asking truckers or the tire shop... My guess the truckers for the larger trucking companies may not know to give you an accurate response. The independent guys that own their trucks likely know. The best would be the tire technicions in the shop.
imabass
imabass

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am

I asked 5 trucking companies, the largest 5 in the USA. Two (2) responded and both said that they did not use anything in their tires. Only one of them had more response, and that was that they only balanced the two steering tires.

Demanding that I go ask the top 50, and I'll simply say, "Do it yourself", I do not work for you, nor answer to you, get off your butt and ask. Going around asking individual truckers if they use them or not, why? Kind of like asking taxi drivers about taxi maintenance, they simply don't know as much as the companies that operated large fleets of vehicles. Large companies have to fine tune down to the dollar to make a profit these days. If Dyna-beads worked, it would be less time consuming (cheaper) than balancing the tires, yet they still balance the tires, and only those deemed necessary.

Frankly, I don't care much if you run water in your tires, it's your call. However, when you start advocating using water in them, because some firm selling 'tire water' claims it works, I will speak up and do such research as I, and only I, deem necessary to see if it's right for me.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Interesting. Suppose that they work on bikes and cars but not on the very large tires of tractors? Then the research would be a moot point anyway. For me and I guess "us", they work on our bikes and that's good enough.
You rip 4 z. of weights off of a tire WITHOUT beads inside, and you're gonna know it. Mine made no difference whatsoever.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3