Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dynabead like tech

+11
Painter D
mcleod9
Ikantride55
Rambler
twin1300
Fly
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Lou
Larry Simpson
quadancer
Stickyfrog
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty Dynabead like tech

Post  Stickyfrog Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 am

Found this the other day and thought some here might be interested. I have heard a lot of argument about whether or not Dynabeads really work. I have never tried them myself because I did not understand how they could do anything. Now I think I understand it (sort of) and this youtube video demonstrates it. Thought some here may be interested in this. Here is the video:

And here is how a guy on another forum explained it. It really taxed the few braincells I have left but I think I understand it.

Ok, here's the scientific breakdown of how dynabeads work. First, it's important to understand that the reason a wheel is unbalanced is because the center of mass is at a different point than the center of rotation. A spinning object will tend to want to spin about its center of mass, because the moment of inertia is smallest, requiring the least amount of energy to maintain the spin. An unbalanced tire is trying to spin about its true center of mass. The center of mass is always closer to the heavier side of the wheel. When this happens, the radius to the heavier side of the wheel gets shorter, and the radius to the lighter side of the wheel gets longer. The beads want to travel to the furthest point from the center of rotation as possible. This ends up being towards the lighter side of the wheel, and as the beads move to the lighter side, the shift in mass moves the center of mass to the rotational center. The wheel is now balanced.

Things to consider, however, is that they only act to counter rotational imbalance, and cannot fix a lateral, or left to right imbalance. Also, if they are agitated, such as hitting a bump in the road, they can be upset, and the wheel will be unbalanced for a moment until they settle down again. This can cause greater than expected instability at higher speeds.
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty Re: Dynabead like tech

Post  quadancer Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 pm

In my experience, hitting bumps has not unbalanced either tire to any noticable degree whatsoever, with dynabeads, at any speed.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty re dynabead like tech

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I haven't noticed any unbalance at any speeds or on any bumps ,just lucky I guess Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Have been running E3s on my 1500GL with Dynabeads 11,973 miles, on this set, no cupping whatsoever 42psi front and rear. Smooooth as glass.

Lou

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Stickyfrog Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah I wondered about that last bit too. I am going to order some and try them out. Do you leave the lead in place or remove it using the beads?
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:47 pm

When I first installed dynabeads I left the weights in place for a while and rode it ,then removed weights and rode ,couldn't tell any difference at all so in my opinion doesn't make a noticable difference.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:05 pm

I took the ugly lead off, can leav if you wish beads work either way

Lou

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 pm

I still claim BS on the magic beads....Snake-oil..... Folks have been buying it since the first person came up with the idea if you put shit in a pretty box someone will buy it.

Dynabead like tech 100DollarBillBurning
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up,I will keep my eyes out for those pretty boxes,guess I lucked out this time though my beads came in a bottle Laughing Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I did same as Larry: rode with the weights on and then off. No difference at all. Adding the beads to my front tire resulted in a smoother ride too - then I took the weights off and had the same result; no difference.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 am

He he, I agree with you. I've also ran a tire that have been balanced with weights and found the weight missing. The only time I realized something was wrong, was a high speed Interstate run up in Utah. Did well over 100 miles at above 100 MPH, following a couple of 'rabbits' on the Interstate. There was some slight jittering of the back tire. Upon inspection at the next gas stop, I did notice the missing weights, but riding at 75 and below, there was no noticeable imbalance at all, and this was a tire/rim needing several ounces of weights.

So, the fact that tires these days are more evenly produced than years ago, and that most people would not notice a slight unbalance anyway, I'll stay away from 'snake oil' and take the extra 10 minutes to balance my tire/rim after changing tires.

[quote="Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005"]I still claim BS on the magic beads....Snake-oil..... Folks have been buying it since the first person came up with the idea if you put shit in a pretty box someone will buy it.

Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Stickyfrog Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 am

Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 wrote:I still claim BS on the magic beads....Snake-oil..... Folks have been buying it since the first person came up with the idea if you put shit in a pretty box someone will buy it.

Dynabead like tech 100DollarBillBurning

People have been making claims without any proof for much longer. Wink
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:47 am

Me and my friends around here are running the "air soft" pellets with great results! Sorry Smokinjoe! Laughing

........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am

One thing about beads they dont fly off at 100mph or at any other time . Always in balance at whatever speed you wish to ride at.

Lou

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 pm

When you say "magic beads" are you referring also to dyna beads? I can definitively tell you that they do work, and work well. The only thing I have doubts about is the universal recommendation of the amount. 2 oz. has taken care of what 4 oz. of lead did for my rear, but if something needed more, I can't see as how they would compensate enough. Less required, and it's obvious that they just spread out.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambler Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:00 pm

using the beads with weights still on doesn't really prove anything then taking the weights off and saying there was no difference well there wont be because the beads adjust themselves. You'll notice the big difference when you have to do a panic stop and wear off some rubber that's when you'll not notice anything. JMO
Rambler
Rambler

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Uh,Rambler you might want to read Stickyfrogs question that we were answering with the weights on or off thing lol! lol!
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambler Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:31 am

its that crs thing(cant remember shit ) sorry folks
Rambler
Rambler

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Stickyfrog Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I have that too. Let me know if you find a cure...I haven't yet. Smile
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Back to top Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty 48,000+ miles on my v star... I'll stick w/ Dyna Beads

Post  Ikantride55 Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 pm

I've wore out 2 rear MC tires & 1 CT on the back on my vstar 1300. I'm on my 3rd front tire. All of these tires have had Dyna Beads in them. NO problems, vibration, cupping, wobbles, wiggles or what have you. They have worked for me. As long as they do, I'll run them. nuff said. Ken cheers
Ikantride55
Ikantride55

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:42 am

My Concourse has 82,000 miles, all on tires that I've changed and balanced myself. My old Nomad had over 77,000, all on tires that I'd changed and balanced myself, along with 6 or so other bikes that have had the tires changed and balanced by me. None of these had little pellets in them and there were NO problems, vibrations, wobbles, wiggles or what have you.

I'm not sure what this proves, except most bike rear tires can be run with no problems, even if they aren't in perfect balance. Front tires have a lot more influence in how the bike handles.

Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty Balance Beads

Post  mcleod9 Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm an independant who has being doing tires and servicing for the last 8 years. About 5 years ago a customer asked me to put some Dynabeads he had ordered in two tires I was mounting for him. Up til then, I hadn't really give them much thought. But I looked into them in depth and started with some in my own Heritage. Since then, I only use my static balancer to check for the "heavy" mark on the bare wheel before mounting the tire. The best selling points (which I hardly ever need) is the simple facts of where lead weights are mounted in contrast to where the tire is out of balance. 4" to 6" in most cases.
Now, the main thing.....after 800 -1000 miles the lead weights are no longer satisfying your out of balance situation because the characteristics of the tire have changed and the weights are in the wrong location now. With beads, you have a balancer that adapts to the changes in the tire which now are very few. A couple other things.......no more cupping and up to 20% more mileage. I keep up with tire life on all the tires I install and I can truthfully say that the mileage gain is a fact.

mcleod9

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Dynabead like tech Empty Balance beads

Post  mcleod9 Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I forgot to mention that I also put the beads (4 ozs.) in the Vredestein that I mounted on my 05 Heritage.

mcleod9

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Painter D Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:28 am

If Dyna Beads or balancing beads are snake oil, why are tire dealers putting them in my big truck tires instead of balancing them the old way? Large truck tires are hard to keep balanced as it is, but now with the balancing beads in them, I will never have to re-balance my tires for the life of them. I have never had smooth running tires on my steering axle until now. Those who claim they are snake oil simply don't know what they are talking about. I hate that.
I put them in on my last tires change on my bike and they work, plain and simple.

Painter D

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 am

If Dyna Beads or balancing beads are snake oil, why are tire dealers putting them in my big truck tires instead of balancing them the old way?

How about some names of these companies that are not balancing their tires? Easy to say this, to try and prove (?) something, much more difficult to put up company names that are doing it.
Also, I'd ask, "If Dyna Beads aren't anything but snake oil, why do all tire resellers still balance the tires they sell?" Could it be that instead of taking the easy route of simply adding little balls into the tires, they see the advantages of long life when they give a mileage warranty.
Actually, I don't care what anyone does with their own tires, but will always have to bring up common sense when people advocate everyone do something that has never been proven as factual.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next