Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkside Question (Newbie)

4 posters

Go down

Darkside Question (Newbie) Empty Darkside Question (Newbie)

Post  footballdad Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi All,
I am new to the site, so I am looking forward to learning alot since I am still a novice. I decided instead of storing my bike for the winter, I am going to keep it in my garage to play around during the long upstate ny winter. I have been reading about going darkside and I think this will be a good project for the winter. I have an 07 vtx 1300c. Is there a detail description of the how to do this? As I said, I am a novice, but I am excited about doing this. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

footballdad

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-17

Back to top Go down

Darkside Question (Newbie) Empty Re: Darkside Question (Newbie)

Post  quadancer Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Ya stick the tire on.
Point it at the street.
Ride the Hell outta it!
Actually, you'll want to work the tire in first, cleaning off the mold release, taking low speed corners for a while. I burned mine in in a half hour in the residential, but they recommend 100 miles. I just corner hard anyway, but best to do at low speeds first.
No one else wants to try it, but we put a Dunlop Signature on a bike like yours 205/75/15 and my guy won't run anything else - we ride aggressive too.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 am

All but the guy mentioned above ride 65 or 70 series tires on their 1300's.
Do you have a jack? you will need to get the rear tire in the air to get it off. A word of caution, put something under the front tire before removing the rear. The sudden loss of weight can make the bike want to tip forward. Remove the old tire, clean the rim twice just to be sure, and install the new tire. Put the new tire on making sure to put new moly paste on the splines. Might as well check the rear brakes as long as you there. Go for a ride.

Personally I would recomend a 205/70/15 tire of any flavor you like. I also know the Douglas X-Trac from wally world, in a 205/65/15 will mount without much difficulty.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:23 pm

My bad; I got 75 on the brain - here's his one post - he's not much of a net nut, but he rides with me a lot:
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/search.forum?search_author=Vader&show_results=posts
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:01 pm

+1 on a 205/70/15. I have a General Grabber UHP on my 1300C,
but I don't think you can get them anymore.

Here is a link for the VTX service manual
http://www.mdxiles.com/VTX1300_Service_03_04.pdf
It's a big pdf file and will take a while to download...

The rear wheel removal and spline maintenance is in Section 14.
Like Jerry said be sure to clean the bead surface of your rim well and use plenty of lube to mount your CT.
Take it easy for the 1st 100 miles or so and play with your tire pressures.
Start at 40 psi and drop it 2 psi at a time till you find where it feels right. I run 38 psi in mine.
Also check your shock bushings as the stock ones tend to wear and can give an unstable feel to your ride.

Good luck and you are gonna love the ride. cheers
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I don't see many stay at 40 psi. I'd just set it at 36 for a while then play with it, since that's a more popular sweet spot.
If there's anything wrong with your front end, you may find out after putting the CT on - but like Doc said, the rear bushings can suddenly feel bad if they're worn on your bike. I think someone mentioned putting nylon bushing in instead?
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down