Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of tested brands and sizes?

5 posters

Go down

List of tested brands and sizes? Empty List of tested brands and sizes?

Post  Steve-O Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:40 pm

So, on a VT1100, I can go wide too. Up to 200? And go with a low profile tire? Reducing the overall height?

I'd like to see a list of all tire brands and sizes that have been "tested" (here) on a thread. I would think Michelin would be a good choice.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

List of tested brands and sizes? Empty Re: List of tested brands and sizes?

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Steve-O,

I'm actually working on something like this. Actually I don't believe we'll be able to go as big as a 200 but a 195 yes. I'm seriously considering changing over to and trying out a 195 after I get a few more miles on this 165/80/15 i have on now.

But I'm working on a list as well. Yes, a 195/65 or 195/60 will lower the bike but not by a whole lot. the 80 height is 3.14" and a 65 is about 2.55", so you're only looking at .59" a little over a 1/2 inch in height.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

For right now we're stuck using 165's. These one's are used by many people. There was another guy on the honda website that was running a 175/70/15. He said it lowered his bike about 1/2 an inch. Good luck finding one though. The 165/80/15 doesn't lower the bike, and is pretty easy to find locally (even if your local shop has to order it).

We're waiting on Twin to tell us how wide his swing arm is so that we can see how different it is from the VTX's. We're hoping for a 200, but will settle for a 195.

Like others have said, this stuff is kind of newish, and so it's kind of a "Do It At Your Own Risk" type thing. So far I'm pleased as punch with how it's working. I haven't found anything yet to make me want to go back to a MT. Keep asking questions and we'll tell you what we know.

Tim
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:46 pm

So we know that the Kumho 165/80/15 Power Star 758 will work and is available. This tire is identical in size to the same MCT, so fit is not an issue, right?

Any 165/80/15 would probably work, right?

175/70/15 is a likely candidate.

195/65/15 or 195/60/15 are the fat tires for us, but waiting to see what other folks due.

I may go down to our local tire store and see if they have any of these in stock and how much they are.

David: If you have the opportunity, do some checking locally. What I'd like to do is come down there, buy the tire, put it on, balance it, and do some road testing. We'll take pictures and document the whole experiment.

I'm relatively new to MC riding so I don't want to push the envelope. But I might consider trying the 195 if the tire is $50 or so (just in case it does not work). Then again, I may want to go with a tried and true 165 and do some riding on it.

I do like the idea of getting 20k on a rear tire.

Hopefully installing this would not void my factory warrenty that is good through 6/09.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Ok Steve-O, No problem. I'm considering a Douglas 205 and 195 from Walmart. they are both under $65.

However, I need to buy a new air compressor as I had a VERY old one that died on me finally.

I'll let you know when i'm back in business with an air compressor.

David
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:13 pm

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Ok Steve-O, No problem. I'm considering a Douglas 205 and 195 from Walmart. they are both under $65.

However, I need to buy a new air compressor as I had a VERY old one that died on me finally.

David

Texastim,

Don't forget to post all your data that you find here so we can collect it. Steve-O, just so you know. We are working without a net here.....hehehehehe NOT that we don't know what we are doing, just that we are growing in knowledge because some of this has been just discovered only a couple months ago. The 205's are in their infancy to what they fit. We only know when someone does it...unfortunately. I don't have the money to just try brands and buy a bunch of bikes to try all of this....I wish though.......... Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:26 pm

twin1300 wrote:
DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Ok Steve-O, No problem. I'm considering a Douglas 205 and 195 from Walmart. they are both under $65.

David

Texastim,

Don't forget to post all your data that you find here so we can collect it. Steve-O, just so you know. We are working without a net here.....hehehehehe NOT that we don't know what we are doing, just that we are growing in knowledge because some of this has been just discovered only a couple months ago. The 205's are in their infancy to what they fit. We only know when someone does it...unfortunately. I don't have the money to just try brands and buy a bunch of bikes to try all of this....I wish though.......... Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

................bobby

In an effort to save Bobby some money I am suggesting the following:
That he only Buy ...... the back rims of all the bikes and only the tires that have cool tread patterns. Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Roger on the pushing the envelope. And later on, let's include cool tread patterns as a criteria.

Going to look at tires this weekend. I'll need new tires this year and might as well know how much they cost.

As I understand it, anyone that can replace a mc tire can install a CT. they just need to lather on the vegetable oil to get it seated, pump it up to high pressure (90psi) to seat it, reduce the pressure to normal (40ish).

I need to be comfortable that whoever is changing my tire knows what he is doing (not talking about you guys, but tire stores in general). Sounds like there is a MC shop at Preston and 380 that might install it. But if Tim or David is available, this might be fun.

Stay tuned.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Steve-O wrote:Roger on the pushing the envelope. And later on, let's include cool tread patterns as a criteria.

Going to look at tires this weekend. I'll need new tires this year and might as well know how much they cost.

As I understand it, anyone that can replace a mc tire can install a CT. they just need to lather on the vegetable oil to get it seated, pump it up to high pressure (90psi) to seat it, reduce the pressure to normal (40ish).

I need to be comfortable that whoever is changing my tire knows what he is doing (not talking about you guys, but tire stores in general). Sounds like there is a MC shop at Preston and 380 that might install it. But if Tim or David is available, this might be fun.

Stay tuned.

If not Steve-O,

Here's a trick....tell them it goes on a drag bike and just bring them the wheel and tell them you only want it mounted and balanced or put balancing beads and how to do it with the cooking oil trick and that you will pay cash and you don't want a reciept. That way they don't feel responsible and no ties to the bike shop!.......... Wink :cyclops:

Trust me.....just because it's a motorcycle shop, they don't understand a lot of times and are going to try to save your life by NOT mounting it....had that happen before too!

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Went to walmart.com to see what tires were available.

165/80/15 None in my zip code
175/70/15 None in my zip code
195/65/15 Lot's to pick from Some 70k tires and some ones with "cool tread patterns" Very Happy
195/60/15 None in my zip code

Any other sizes that I might search for?

going to firestone this weekend and see what they have and what they say.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

The discount tire website had 165 and 195, but not the 175....

H speed and T speed?

90k warrenty - guess this is out the door if it's on a bike. But makes you wonder how many miles it would get......
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:55 pm

Steve-O wrote:Went to walmart.com to see what tires were available.

165/80/15 None in my zip code
175/70/15 None in my zip code
195/65/15 Lot's to pick from Some 70k tires and some ones with "cool tread patterns" Very Happy
195/60/15 None in my zip code

Any other sizes that I might search for?

going to firestone this weekend and see what they have and what they say.

+1 on going out and looking. That's how I got my 205....brought a tape measure and went looking for the one that had the measurements I wanted. Do forget to do the tire width by the percent sidewall to see what is close to your stock original tire, so you will know which one's are larger and smaller in diameter, so you will kinda know what the final ride height will be.

.......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down