Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of tires, sizes, comments???

3 posters

Go down

List of tires, sizes, comments??? Empty List of tires, sizes, comments???

Post  MtBike Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 am

Is there a list of tire sizes and brands that people like? and comments like hard to set bead.....

If this list is in the sticky "The darkside list" for some reason, I cannot get to it.....

Anyway, from just looking a little, I see that the most popular selection is GoodYear triple tred 205-70-15.
1. Does anyone believe there is a better choice?
2. Where can I get this tire mounted, and what info do I need to tell them?
3. How much larger is this tire than stock? I saw a reference of 1/2 in taller, but not sure if the was for the stock tire or the 65 series TT tire.

What else to I need to know....

Thanks,
MikeB.

'05 VTX 1300C

Last edited by MtBike on Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding bike)

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

List of tires, sizes, comments??? Empty Re: List of tires, sizes, comments???

Post  jedishon Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am

The triple tread, hydroedge and general grabber are all popular choices. I started with the Douglas xtrac from wallyworld because it was cheap and didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I didn't know if I'd like. I now have a Yokahama. As you can see the choices are endless. The 70 series is a 1/2" taller than stock and is turning into the more popular because it is easier to seat due to its narrower bead width.
I had my tire mounted at discount tire here in Katy. They said they have been mounting more and more lately. You can even try your local honda dealer. Its not as hard to find a place as it used to be. Just tell them they need to clean the rim before they put the new tire on or ask them if you can. Have fun shopping because you wont get to do it again for a while.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MtBike Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Can you tell me more about cleaning the rim. I believe you are saying to sand down the edges smooth so the bead will slip on easier.... If that is the case, what grit sandpaper.... if not.....then set me straight.

Thanks,
MikeB.

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Mt. not sanding. Just cleaning it. I use a scotch brite pad to clean mine. And then used vege oil on the tire to lube it.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down