Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ???

5 posters

Go down

tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ??? Empty tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ???

Post  davidv-soga Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 am

I've been playing with different air pressures in my rear tire (General Altimax 205-16-55)...

Currently at 32-33psi and just normal, easy on the throttle riding...it seems I can actually feel a softer, more comfortable ride.

However, yesterday, I was getting onto I-75 and the entry ramp, while not a circular ramp, did have a fair amount of curve, which as I was accelerating to probably 65-70 plus mph....created what I'll cause a bounce with the rear end/tire ??? While this was not an issue to handle and stay on path, etc, it did seem like something I would not want (unstable)...

Is this the result of going too low for the way I was riding and taking this curve ? I primarily went low on the PSI for my wife's comfort...

Maybe I should bump the PSI back up to 38-40 when riding more aggressive/faster and only 1 up ?

Thoughts, anyone that can educate me about this, I'll appreciate it...

Thanks - hope everyone had a great 4th !

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ??? Empty Re: tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ???

Post  Charlie D Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:09 am

Sounds more like the classic worn out shock bushings, mine are gone again

I get a little of that in mine if I try and run my shocks (stock) on setting 3, setting 4 firms it up for better handling oh and it didn't matter if it was mt or ct it acted the same.

Charlie D

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ??? Empty Re: tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ???

Post  horseman8m Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:16 am

davidv-soga wrote:I've been playing with different air pressures in my rear tire (General Altimax 205-16-55)...

Currently at 32-33psi and just normal, easy on the throttle riding...it seems I can actually feel a softer, more comfortable ride.

However, yesterday, I was getting onto I-75 and the entry ramp, while not a circular ramp, did have a fair amount of curve, which as I was accelerating to probably 65-70 plus mph....created what I'll cause a bounce with the rear end/tire ??? While this was not an issue to handle and stay on path, etc, it did seem like something I would not want (unstable)...

Is this the result of going too low for the way I was riding and taking this curve ? I primarily went low on the PSI for my wife's comfort...

Maybe I should bump the PSI back up to 38-40 when riding more aggressive/faster and only 1 up ?

Thoughts, anyone that can educate me about this, I'll appreciate it...

Thanks - hope everyone had a great 4th !

David , I would go with 38-40 even with you wife riding , the wider contact patch on the road makes it smother any way , and set your shocks to four .
as far as accelerating around a curve your tire will grow with centrifugal force so the once flat tread tire is become just slightly rounder and that I think is what you feel, it will still have a better contact with the road but just takes getting used to .
If you give it about 200 to 300 miles then you will not even notice it any more.
good luck
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

tire pressure & taking curves has "bounce" ??? Empty re tire pressure taking curves has bounce!!!

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:32 pm

I run my gytt at 32 all the time sometimes hit curves real agressive never feel anything like that.RIDE SAFE Larry S. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:24 am

Was getting the same thing on mine a couple of weeks back. I checked the pressure and found it to be okay, however, the front was a little low. I no longer have the bounce. It is not my shocks as I had the seals replaced about six months ago. I would say just mess with the pressure in both front and rear tire until you get what you are looking for. Very Happy
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down