Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves

+4
greazman
horseman8m
jedishon
davidv-soga
8 posters

Go down

air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves Empty air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves

Post  davidv-soga Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 am

Still trying to dial in the correct psi/shock settings...

Just checking in with y'all... what would cause a "bouncing" feel from the rear end when you are taking a curve fairly aggressively...

I've got the 2003 1800 C... shocks have 32,000 miles on them... seems when I have 34-35 psi and shocks set on 3...there is bounce...as I raise the psi up, less bounce but ride is harder.

Is the bounce related to poor shocks ? psi ? both ? just asking...

Thanks...any help is appreciated.

Running a Altimax 205/60rR

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves Empty Re: air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves

Post  jedishon Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:28 am

I would check the shock bushings. When they start to wear out you wobbles, bouncing, and or drifting.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves Empty Re: air pressure - shock settings - rear end bounce on sweeping curves

Post  horseman8m Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:03 pm

I installed nylon bushings and the ride and turns felt great.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  greazman Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:55 pm

I have just replaced my rear shock bushings with the stock ones. Where did you get the nylon bushings?? I don't think the stockers will last very long. Thanks greazman(Rich) Cool
greazman
greazman

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:19 pm

They are from McMaster-carr. The part number is here somwhere.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 pm

greazman wrote:I have just replaced my rear shock bushings with the stock ones. Where did you get the nylon bushings?? I don't think the stockers will last very long. Thanks greazman(Rich) Cool

Good thing you replaced them at least, but you will have to do that again since you didn't go with Nylon ones. Since our hacker has erased a lot of our data or corrupted it so we can't even see it...I don't right of hand remember the part #. Sorry.

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Here you go...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6389k344/=6mwk5c
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  greazman Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Ordered the bushings today. greazman(Rich) Cool
greazman
greazman

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 pm

jedishon wrote:Here you go...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6389k344/=6mwk5c

Duhn-da-dahhhhhhhh. Unka Jer saves the day.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  greazman Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Bushings came in today. 1 question is there any side to side shimming that needs to be done or are the bushings a perfect fit ??? greazman(Rich) Cool
greazman
greazman

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:37 pm

greazman wrote:Bushings came in today. 1 question is there any side to side shimming that needs to be done or are the bushings a perfect fit ??? greazman(Rich) Cool

I used a little WD40, a C clamp and lots of patience to seat them. Take your time start them straight and keep them straight.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 pm

I laid my shock on a block of wood ran aa bolt through the bushing and beat the shit out of it. Been there almost 3 years no probs.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:01 am

smokey2255 wrote:I laid my shock on a block of wood ran aa bolt through the bushing and beat the shit out of it. Been there almost 3 years no probs.

See you out there
Smokey

You crack me up Smokey. That must be why they put 5 in a package.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 am

Apparently Smokey and myself have the same kind of specialty tools in our tool box. This is how mine were installed. I have no problems but I also dont have the miles like Smoke.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  greazman Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 am

I used the C clamp and a little penetrating oil method. Bushings slipped right in and had both shocks done in about 20 minutes. Laughing I do like the fit of the nylon bushings compared to the factory rubber ones. Thanks for the great advice. greazman(Rich) Cool
greazman
greazman

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes....Smokey's way is too technical for most to get! LOL I used my bench vise and they shoved right in and because of the vise, I think they went in really square so they went easier. Now....getting them on the bike after the bushing were installed was a different beast all together. I had to use a "persuader" like Smokey!

..............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Bigger job, bigger hammer.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 pm

I might have had stress issues I was relieving. ....... nah I just wanted to beat the shit out of something. Very Happy

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  RIKI Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm

A Tap-o-meter always work if it is big enough.
RIKI
RIKI

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down