Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..?

3 posters

Go down

air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..? Empty air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..?

Post  davidv-soga Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Okay - been with the DS about 3000+ miles or so now... VTX 1800 C - General Altimax HP 205-55-16...V rated (I think)

Initially started out riding with the rear tire pressure at 40-42 psi... shocks at 4...was fine with me...

When riding 2 up, my wife complained about as she said very back jarring bumps she felt when we'd run across small ridges/imperfections in the road...

So most all I spoke with here and locally said adjust the shocks and air pressure, it'd make a huge difference...

So I knocked my shocks from 4 down to 3 and dropped my air pressure down to 33psi on rear.

I CAN feel a difference...much more cushy ride... however... I noticed the other day while entering I-75 from a ramp that had a curve...I was accelerating pretty good, and the bike seemed to want to bounce... as I was leaning into the curve and accelerating to 65-70 mph or so ...

Do ya'll feel this is related to the lower tire pressure ? This bounce was not something I could not control, but did make me feel a bit uneazy about it...

Y'all have any experience with anything like this ? guess I could pump up rear to 40-42...take the curve again and see how it takes it...

Really like the way the 33psi feels (comfort wise) but if the 40-42 will eliminate/reduce the bounce... may go back to that when riding solo... ?

What say y'all ? Advice wanted...

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..? Empty Re: air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..?

Post  RonK Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 pm

--
You would be lowering your pressure by 20% to go to 33 from 41 lbs. That's a big drop. I would try maybe 37 lbs. at first. That's only 10%. See if that puts you closer to your preferred feel. When I went from 37 to 42 it felt more harsh, but I could corner faster.

The most ideal way would be to run at 2 lb. increments and record the results in handling feel, comfort, and speed. Try it both single and double. It would be a several hour hassle for sure, but then you'd know for the next ten years.

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..? Empty Re: air pressure; curves and "bounce" from rear end..?

Post  twin1300 Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 am

RonK wrote:--
You would be lowering your pressure by 20% to go to 33 from 41 lbs. That's a big drop. I would try maybe 37 lbs. at first. That's only 10%. See if that puts you closer to your preferred feel. When I went from 37 to 42 it felt more harsh, but I could corner faster.

The most ideal way would be to run at 2 lb. increments and record the results in handling feel, comfort, and speed. Try it both single and double. It would be a several hour hassle for sure, but then you'd know for the next ten years.

RonK

+1 and use your shock settings for the two up riding.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down