Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

darksiders on curves, why and why not?

+2
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
wiggans50cal
6 posters

Go down

darksiders on curves, why and why not? Empty darksiders on curves, why and why not?

Post  wiggans50cal Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:46 am

i live in a very hilly area and i ride a lot of curvy blacktops.. im new to this forum and im really considering the darkside. how do these tires handle curves? i have my eye on a general grabber, but i dont know what size. what size would keep my bike at stock height in the back and not raise or lower it? are there any suprises while riding darkside? How does a car tire handle as far as going down straight hyway? please let me know and thanks so much guys!!!

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

darksiders on curves, why and why not? Empty Re: darksiders on curves, why and why not?

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:15 am

I live in the beautiful east Tennessee mountains and we have some of the best roads in America for the art of motorcycling. I run a directional summer tire ( Cooper Zeon 2XS ) 205/55/16.IMO its the only way to roll it slicks like baby chit on a white blanket. I'm near 40,000 miles on my 4th rear CT .

darksiders on curves, why and why not? NicekillboySmall
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

darksiders on curves, why and why not? Empty Re: darksiders on curves, why and why not?

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:44 am

It dosen't get any better than that.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 am

Curious what you've done to go thru 4 CTs in 40k miles, which is 10k each...a bit more than I was getting on my Metzlers.

If you ride a lot of curves, you may want to really look at the tire profile and find a tire that's got more curve than some... some are a bit blockier than others. I know my Bridgestone Potenza has a very sporty curve to it.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:02 am

Our darkside rally in April of this year, we rode all over the mountain around Mena, AK and grinding from our pegs, pipes, and frames thru a lot of the turns. Not one slip slide or hickup with the curves. As a matter of fact we were faster than all those on MT's.

Plus I have ridden my darkside for over 3 1/2 years now...you could say I have taken a curve or two in that time. My last set of pipes looked wrecked from dragging them so much.

darksiders on curves, why and why not? P1010023

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 am

50cal,

Here's a link to a write up that will answer a lot of your questions.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-questionwhy-a-car-tire-t396.htm

............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Twisties are not a problem. You won't notice a change over your motorcycle tire, except you won't change them out as often.

One thing I noticed the other day. I got it up to 35 and stood on the back break just to see what the rear end would do. My MC took the rear end sideways. the car tire tracked straight. This reduces the chances of high siding. One more perk.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:00 am

Morgan Buchanan wrote:Curious what you've done to go thru 4 CTs in 40k miles, which is 10k each...a bit more than I was getting on my Metzlers.

If you ride a lot of curves, you may want to really look at the tire profile and find a tire that's got more curve than some... some are a bit blockier than others. I know my Bridgestone Potenza has a very sporty curve to it.
I run the Cooper Zeon it's a soft compound directional summer tire does'nt last like the tire's grand-ma runs on her Buick but it sticks great. I was getting anywhere from 6,000 to 6,500 out of a motorcycle tire so the Cooper Zeon 2XS added some miles plus its damn near $100.00 cheaper than the Avon's I ran before going DarkSide .I need to pull the rear every 10,000 to 12,000 miles to service the final drive and splines the Valkyrie is a great bike but the splines are it's weak link and some of the folks that run the high mileage tire have found out the hard way it will leave you standing on the side of the road if it's not maintained.
darksiders on curves, why and why not? Rear1
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 am

That's cool man, I was just curious because your tire rate was similar to MT rate for a lot of guys. I think my Potenza will go away a bit faster than some guys get out of their tires, but it's a sports car tire. I sure do like it tho! I have a VTX and plan on plenty of spline maintenance because replacing hard parts isn't my idea of the way to spend that saved money! LOL
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down