Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fast Sweeper Wallow

+3
quadancer
twin1300
Stickyfrog
7 posters

Go down

Fast Sweeper Wallow Empty Fast Sweeper Wallow

Post  Stickyfrog Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Recently I have noticed a slight wallow in fast sweepers. It is definitely manageable but I didn't notice it at first...maybe because of the newness to me. It kinda feels like when you have a severely flattened M/C tire that needs replacing. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Fast Sweeper Wallow Empty Re: Fast Sweeper Wallow

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm

What pressures are you running??? That might determine the solution.

And NO...never had that issue!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm

I would imagine you're about 2 lbs. too low. I've been using the twisties to set my air.
What type bike and tire?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Stickyfrog Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:41 am

I ride a Piaggio MP3 scooter. See my pic. It has a 145/70 12 inch car tire on the rear. I was running at about 30 psi but it was wallowing so I increased to 34 psi and it helped a lot but it is still there slightly. Makes me think it may be a different issue like notchy steering bearings or shocks.
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 am

Rear shock bushing most likely. My original bushings lasted 6,000 miles. The McMaster replacements lasted 19,000. The progressive 412's lasted 10,000. What a PITA to replace them. Good luck with yours.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Stickyfrog Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 am

I hope it is not the shock bushings damn. Gonna check tonight. If the are ok i may take both shocks up a notch. I hope it is not the steering bearings. MP3's are notorious for early bearing failure as the factory sometimes puts preload on the lower locking rings. And because there are two sets of bearings (mp3s have two front wheels that lean to 40 deg) and because you have to take most of the tupperware off it is an all day (or expensive) job. Talk about a PITA.
Stickyfrog
Stickyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

I imagine with the two wheels up front that it does put a lot of force on the rear tire. Try going up and see! Of course you are most like riding harder than you did before the car tire, so that could make something like that show up. I know I ride the twisties harder with my car tire than I did a motorcycle tire.

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sammy76 Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 am

Hi guy's, new to the forum and have just had a Michelin XM1 195/65-15 fitted to my 08 vn900 custom. rode it properly for the first time today and am happy with it, but, found a little bit of wallow aswell in fast sweepers. I have pushed the pressure up to 40 psi and is still the on very fast sweepers. Maybe something i have to get used to. When you change gear does it tothe clutch it mid corner and drop it does it too

sammy76

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:44 am

sammy76 wrote:Hi guy's, new to the forum and have just had a Michelin XM1 195/65-15 fitted to my 08 vn900 custom. rode it properly for the first time today and am happy with it, but, found a little bit of wallow aswell in fast sweepers. I have pushed the pressure up to 40 psi and is still the on very fast sweepers. Maybe something i have to get used to. When you change gear does it tothe clutch it mid corner and drop it does it too

Try adjusting your shocks. The grip is soooo high on these car tires that it could be the shock settings making the wallow feeling. Don't go higher psi on the car tire...the majority run the lower pressures in the mid to low 30's! JMO
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fast Sweeper Wallow Empty re fast sweeping wallow

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

What are you calling a wallow feeling Question Question Question
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MAS Tequila Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:00 pm

On the Kaw it will give you a little side to side feeling when shifting or laying on the throttle in a curve.

It will almost completely go away as the tire breaks in and you become more comfortable with it.

Try to forget it is even back there and it will improve dramatically.

MT

twin1300 wrote:
sammy76 wrote:Hi guy's, new to the forum and have just had a Michelin XM1 195/65-15 fitted to my 08 vn900 custom. rode it properly for the first time today and am happy with it, but, found a little bit of wallow aswell in fast sweepers. I have pushed the pressure up to 40 psi and is still the on very fast sweepers. Maybe something i have to get used to. When you change gear does it tothe clutch it mid corner and drop it does it too

Try adjusting your shocks. The grip is soooo high on these car tires that it could be the shock settings making the wallow feeling. Don't go higher psi on the car tire...the majority run the lower pressures in the mid to low 30's! JMO
MAS Tequila
MAS Tequila

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm even getting a little sideshift on the Harley when I drop a gear and punch it in a curve, but I sort of expect that. Most Oddly enough, it does it LESS with the 'ol lady aboard; matter of fact, it acts most like a normal bike tire then.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Fast Sweeper Wallow Empty re fast sweeping wallow

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok now I know what you are saying but in three years running I haven't experienced that feeling on mine, just lucky I guess. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down