Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VTX, Sabre, Spirit

4 posters

Go down

VTX, Sabre, Spirit Empty VTX, Sabre, Spirit

Post  Just_Me69 Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Good evening gents. I wanted to pose this question real quick-like. . .

Would a VTX wheel bolt straight into the place of a Sabre wheel??

Reason being, I have a 98 Spirit and strongly dislike the drum rear. So, before I went Darkside, I would rather toss in and partially fab up the rear disk. The original plan was to swap in a Sabre wheel. Knowing I would have to give the hydraulics new mounting points. So, yeah. Maybe a little of that was rambling. Or, if anyone near San Antonio maybe has an extra wheel, or just a bent up VTX wheel. Preferably with the splines sticking out the side. Thanks.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Back to top Go down

VTX, Sabre, Spirit Empty Re: VTX, Sabre, Spirit

Post  ttexastim Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Wish I could help ya ... but I don't know anything about that kind of thing. I'm just running the drum. Let us know what happens and what you find out.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am

the ony thing i can think of is call a motorcycle scrap yard and ask them, if not thay might be able to tell you what would fit or what mod you need to do to make it fit.
good luck
Horse

Last edited by horseman8m on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 am

Well, I quickly glanced at some fiches. At first I thought that this wouldn't work out. Now I'm slightly determined to do this. Turns out the government sent me about a quarter of what I expected. So we'll see how this works out.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:13 pm

This will have to be put on the back burner for a while. It seems that nobody wants to get rid of a wheel for less that 200 bucks with the drive flange and brake rotor. Now on the other hand, has anyone had a problem with a bad vibration with engine speed? I should probably check all the bolts and what not. My bike sat yesterday after a good ride Wednesday. Also, it sometimes feels odd when I put it into the corners. I know it's the Avon that's starting to go flat in the center. But I will fix that when I get rid of this vibration. Crap, this blows. Ehh, just blowingoff a little steam. And this IRS poop,I heard some crying kids today, and almost t-boned Some dumbassgirl on the phone turning in front of me. I'm going to go drink.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Just_Me69 wrote:Good evening gents. I wanted to pose this question real quick-like. . .

Would a VTX wheel bolt straight into the place of a Sabre wheel??

Reason being, I have a 98 Spirit and strongly dislike the drum rear. So, before I went Darkside, I would rather toss in and partially fab up the rear disk. The original plan was to swap in a Sabre wheel. Knowing I would have to give the hydraulics new mounting points. So, yeah. Maybe a little of that was rambling. Or, if anyone near San Antonio maybe has an extra wheel, or just a bent up VTX wheel. Preferably with the splines sticking out the side. Thanks.

I think you meant bolt at sabre wheel on a spirit. Assuming you have an 1100? Most things on this bike are the same, so I wouldn't see why not. But go to www.hondashadow.net and ask there.

No vibration on my 1100 spirit. Had it up to 100 for extended periods on hwy. May just be a tire balance issue. You say later that your avon is getting flat. Sometimes tires get out of balance as they age. DynaBeads would fix this problem.

Having an "odd" sensation when turning, especially slow turns from a stop, are something that we all experience. Get used to it. It's the side of your tire biting into the pavement. It won't slide or step out. Go ahead and goose it out of a curve to test out this theory. The tire will stick.

About the rear brake. Nothing wrong with the drum. It will lock up as easily as the disk brakes. But you really should be using the front brake most of the time. Using the rear brake as a primary brake will lead to high siding one of these days. That said, I used my reat brake a lot in town at lights. But the front brake is my primary "riding" brake, especially at speed.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:43 pm

What I meant was that I know a Sabre/ACE wheel will interchange. I just wanted to know if a VTX wheel could be tossed into the mix. I did have a line on an excellently priced VTX wheel with the hub and disc. But thanks to the reserve option on Ebay, I got effed, twice. Anyways, I found out that my rear tire was low hence the handling concern. The vibration was noted in a thread on the sabrehood forum. But not by me. So, there's something not in balance in the motor. It also turns out that my jacket catches alot of air. Thank God for this lovely Texas weather right now.

By doing this project, I am not putting down the drum brake. Mine is adjusted all the way in and it concerns me, especially when it starts squeeling. My buddy at the shop is also kicking this idea around for his wife's 750SS. I think that's it for now. I wouldn't mind attempting a VTX fitting, I would just love to be assured it would fit before I go spend billions of dollars just so my spirit front and rear disc brakes.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 am

alright suckers, I just won my vtx1300 wheel with hub and rotor. Now I just have to see if it fits my swingarm. Couple that with my complete sabre rear brake system and I'm set. It seems that they use the same pads, so why not the same caliper. Just need to make it fit. I hope I can post pics. Usually when I get started, I don't want to stop. Maybe I'll let the GF do it.

Last edited by Just_Me69 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : starting and not starting?? That's a lie.)
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:56 am

If you've got a gf you can trust with a wrench ... hang on to her! LOL.

Awesome news for you! I hope it all comes together nice for you.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 pm

not with a wrench. That's how we met. Trust her to take pictures and document most of this.
I tried it with a girl I went to school with. We both got our AOS in Automotive Technology. I had to change the alternator on her dad's caddy in the rain. She was more of the sales type. with the fingernails and all. Then I dated her sister. Funny story about that.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Let us know how it goes. Interesting project!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down