Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noobie to the darkside

+2
ttexastim
The Woodman
6 posters

Go down

Noobie to the darkside Empty Noobie to the darkside

Post  The Woodman Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:41 pm

After several attempts by the cowards at the bike shops and tire shops. I finally got my tire on the rim, and after reading several of the "problems" with the install. My bud and I got it to seat!!!! yeah baby!!!
Thanks to all the input from you guys I can now ride more than 5000 miles without spending 200 + bucks on tires. I have an 01 sabre and go through tires like a hot knife through butter. Hopefully this is the last tire I have to by for this next year. I put on a 165/80/15 Kuomo power star, and so far this thing rocks!!! I cant feel anything to drastic of a change in handling, little mushy on the first turn, but could be not enough air pressure yet (35psi) but gripp was excellent, none of the same issues I had on my friends Valkyrie (that thing was a nightmare to ride). All in all, for anyone who is looking to put one on, I used all the information that was posted, I'll post a step by step process for someone who is looking for the valuable info I was. Thanks again guys! Make sure ya'll remember the first rule of riding-KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!
The Woodman
The Woodman

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Noobie to the darkside Empty Re: Noobie to the darkside

Post  ttexastim Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:27 am

Great job! I still love my Kuhmo. I'm glad you were able to get it to happen. How much PSI did it take you?
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 am

Woodman,

Thanks for the write up. My first tire on my 1300 was the 165 and it's an awesome tire! Congrats on your darkside and Welcome to our site!

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Noobie to the darkside Empty bead seat problem solved

Post  The Woodman Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm

After all was said and done with getting someone to put a ct on my bike, it came down to me having to do it myself. I read several of the problem post here on this site, my bud and I came to the conclusion of what to do and not.
1. cleaned the tire and rim of as much of the goops and soaps that the shops tried using.
2. used dows food grade silicon lube on the tire and rim, once that was applied I poured olive oil on and smeared that further out on the rim and tire.
3. with the tire in the bed of the truck took out the needle valve and put on a clip on air chuck, and got it to hold air.
4. with an air compressor for my nail guns I added air until it was going to seat or explode. I got to 110 psi and stopped, letting it sit for a few second and... POP, It seated one side at 110 psi, checking the tire, only one side had seated-so more air. Added 5psi and let it sit... sit some more... POP! the second bead seated and with no needle valve in just disconnected from the air compressor till the air escaping slowed down, replaced the needle valve, and cleaned all the silicone and oil off with dish soap and hot water.
The Woodman
The Woodman

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:09 pm

The Woodman wrote:After all was said and done with getting someone to put a ct on my bike, it came down to me having to do it myself. I read several of the problem post here on this site, my bud and I came to the conclusion of what to do and not.
1. cleaned the tire and rim of as much of the goops and soaps that the shops tried using.
2. used dows food grade silicon lube on the tire and rim, once that was applied I poured olive oil on and smeared that further out on the rim and tire.
3. with the tire in the bed of the truck took out the needle valve and put on a clip on air chuck, and got it to hold air.
4. with an air compressor for my nail guns I added air until it was going to seat or explode. I got to 110 psi and stopped, letting it sit for a few second and... POP, It seated one side at 110 psi, checking the tire, only one side had seated-so more air. Added 5psi and let it sit... sit some more... POP! the second bead seated and with no needle valve in just disconnected from the air compressor till the air escaping slowed down, replaced the needle valve, and cleaned all the silicone and oil off with dish soap and hot water.

Sounds just like some of the tires we mounted with the same ideas!..... Wink Great minds think alike!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 am

kumho 165 is a great tire. you'll love it. Feels and acts just like a MC tire in my book. You ought to get 20k out of that tire.....Tim till has his on...he must be around that number now.

Welcome!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:49 am

LOL Steve! I guess I need to get out on some real rides! I only have 8K on my tire, cuz I seem to only ride it 30 miles every business day. But ... now that Santa brought me a vista cruz and new insulated gloves, I may have to hit the road!

Great job woodsman!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Noobie to the darkside Empty Sabre rim

Post  btaillon Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:29 pm

I put a Nexen 165/80-15 On a 2996 Sabre rim to run on my 2002 Shadow Aero It's been a great tire I have over 7000 miles on it and still going strong.I used car wash soap and about 80 psi to get it to seat. Only $53.00 dollars at a local tire warehouse.
Brett

btaillon

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

You put the cast sabre rims, front and back, on your Aero? Post some pictures if you get the chance.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 pm

ttexastim wrote:LOL Steve! I guess I need to get out on some real rides! I only have 8K on my tire, cuz I seem to only ride it 30 miles every business day. But ... now that Santa brought me a vista cruz and new insulated gloves, I may have to hit the road!

Great job woodsman!

HI Tim and Steve and the rest of the guys......
I put my new Kumho on my Goldwing in July and I now have 15,000 +/- miles on it..... Still looks great and Of course I love it... Just finished another SS1000 so now I have two SS1000's under my belt and on the Darkside.

Enjoy!!!
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down