Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750....

+5
simpleman77
Steve-O
twin1300
jedishon
Tevil79
9 posters

Go down

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750.... Empty New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750....

Post  Tevil79 Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:02 am

first off hello,

this forum was reccomende to me from another for the procedure of putting a crt on my 2002 shadow 750.

my main concern of course is saftey. i ride my girlfriend alot and just would like to know if anyone here has had any horror stories about the procedure?

i am mainly looking to do this for looks, as i hate the thin rear tire on my shadow and am not really looking to overly kit my rear end out.

so does anyone have any tips/deterrents/specs/etc that could be helpful as in the last thing i want to do is put my woman in any danger as it took me a while to get her comfortable on it to begin with.

thanks all.
Tevil79
Tevil79

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750.... Empty Re: New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750....

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:51 am

Once you go darkside your lady will feel a little safer. The ride will be more stable and as a bonus it will even be smoother.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750.... Empty Re: New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750....

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:37 am

jedishon wrote:Once you go darkside your lady will feel a little safer. The ride will be more stable and as a bonus it will even be smoother.

Jerry

+1....I ride two up and my wife loves it and I have a lot more control with the darkside. I think it will be a wise choice for you. The 165/80/15 is a perfect tire to start with, I did on my 1300 and loved the tire! It does all things great!

Vader up!

...........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am

CTs are safer than MT's in my book, espeicially for two up. Get used to the CT yourself. Then, have her hop on. If you are uncomfortable or concerned about her safety, put someone you DON'T like back there first Very Happy Ex girl friend maybe?

Here we are packed up ready for a two day campout at a Texas State park. She's probably got 2k miles on the back of my bike. Loves it back there.

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750.... Ann-with-Bike
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm

I just switched on my VLX and absolutely love it. Slightly different handling characteristics, but you will love it when you get used to it. I put on a Federal 165/80/15 the day after Memorial Day this year. I also use Dynabeads for balancing.

I didn't get a mileage rating with it, but I figure that it will go at least three times as long as the Dunflop that I just took off(9,000 miles), for half the money(spent $67 on the tire and $65 having it put on).

The cornering and handling is comparable to a motorcycle tire. It doesn't follow pavement snakes like you might think. Handling is head and shoulders above a m/t in cross winds and on the slab behind big trucks. It holds the road very well. I have already had it in one blinding rain storm (not on purpose) as well as on very wet roads. Again, the handling is better than I felt my old m/t was.

Interestingly, and this was brought to my attention by a fellow darksider, when I lock the rear brake now (only done at relatively slow speeds), the bike skids straight up where as when I locked the brake with a m/t on the back(this was an emergency situation at 45 m.p.h.), the back of the bike immediately started to come around to the right.

Another advantage is, when riding two up, I feel alot better on the road. Just seems to ride better.

Research the issue and enjoy the change. Let us know if and when you have any questions.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Steve-O wrote:CTs are safer than MT's in my book, espeicially for two up. Get used to the CT yourself. Then, have her hop on. If you are uncomfortable or concerned about her safety, put someone you DON'T like back there first Very Happy Ex girl friend maybe?

Here we are packed up ready for a two day campout at a Texas State park. She's probably got 2k miles on the back of my bike. Loves it back there.

New to here and wanna vader up my spirit 750.... Ann-with-Bike

Steve-O is bragging , that's his wife and she is half his age. Very Happy Smile Laughing cheers
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Steve-O is da man!!! Smile Thanks for the help earlier today!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:03 pm

She will prolly like it better than you. Way different on the back finder Im told.
Let us know how it goes.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:40 pm

ttexastim wrote:Steve-O is da man!!! Smile Thanks for the help earlier today!!

any time.....

BTW, fixin to plan out a "round texas" ride. You in?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Tevil79 Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:03 pm

THAT LOOKS AWSOME!!!!!

so now all i have to do is find a place that will do it.

anyone from CT know anywhere?

also i have an under fender cats eye tail light i installed. do you guys think this will restrict the tire from fitting. i mean i dont know if there even is a height difference or not.

thanks again
Tevil79
Tevil79

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Clearance shouldn't be a problem on the spirit.

If you can pull the tire, a dealer will put it on.

If not, look for a mom and pop shop and call around.

If not, call the dealers. Mine will here in Dallas. They shake their heads, but they'll do it. Still have mine done in Ennis by the man in the blue monkey suit though..... Bought time to go see him again.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Tevil79

Number of posts: 2

bpt, Behind Postal Truck
ct, that's Central Texas
Very Happy Smile Laughing
just joking
is there anyone on here that is near your area,
well if you want to do it yourself , go to You tube and search for videos about "motorcycle tire change" and about 2000 will pop up
there are some that can give you a step by step to show you how to do it.
good luck
horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Steve-O wrote:
ttexastim wrote:Steve-O is da man!!! Smile Thanks for the help earlier today!!

any time.....

BTW, fixin to plan out a "round texas" ride. You in?

Sounds good! I'm driving up past talahina, OK next friday and back. Should be awesome!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  Tevil79 Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am

"I think it will be a wise choice for you. The 165/80/15 is a perfect tire to start with"

does anyone know how i would go about deciding what tire would fit my bike? finding measurements and such?

i have to admit, tire knowledge is not my for-te'. I am not sure if this tire mentioned before would work since he said his was going on a 1300 and mine is only a 750......

i am going to call a few shops and see if there is anyone that will do it for me but i guess i will have to buy the tire first.

thanks again
Tevil79
Tevil79

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:57 am

try this:
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/how-to-check-for-clearance-t2819.htm

that will also show just how much tire that can go under the rear of your bike.
good luck,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am

I am pretty sure that the Kuhmo 165 will fit every bike with a 15 inch rim. It has become our favorite "oem" replacement tire.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:13 pm

ttexastim wrote:I am pretty sure that the Kuhmo 165 will fit every bike with a 15 inch rim. It has become our favorite "oem" replacement tire.

+1
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Tevil79 Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:34 pm

h christ this is becoming a hassle

most places i have called have never even heard of doing this.

bridgeport, connecticut
Tevil79
Tevil79

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 pm

just joking Very Happy Laughing Smile
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Tevil79 wrote:h christ this is becoming a hassle

most places i have called have never even heard of doing this.

bridgeport, connecticut

Well, tell them it's the same procedure as putting on a motorcycle tire. If you use the kumho, it'll seat and bead just like mc tires. I can't think of anyone that's had any difficulty or problems with the kumho. Nice safe tire for first timers. Find a shop close to you, talk to the proprieter, and see if he'll work with you.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  dalelvn Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:15 am

dunno where in Texas you are but both "bikers garage", and Central Yamaha on plano will install a ct on your bike for you , you have to sign a waiver but they will install it for you.

dale

dalelvn

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 am

Where is bikers garage and how much do they charge?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Tevil79 Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 am

guys i also forgot to mention i have a 1.5" lowering kit on the rear. i think i should try those measurement instructions to.
Tevil79
Tevil79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down