Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!!

5 posters

Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!!

Post  02viral Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 am

Hi

I have 2000 aero with spoke rims.rear tire needs to be replaced beforeI can even go for a ride. Basically its a slick tire with a little rubber on the edges.
Anyway after sifting through the forums still can't find any answers.

What product do I need to use to seal the rim so I can install a tubeless car tire on the rear of the bike. MT is 170/80/15. I have seen that 165-80-15..
if you are suggesting a product to use for sealing,can you let me know if you have used the same and how many miles have you had?

I read one guy used 3M 5200 or Sikaflex 201.

other posts are here
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t5394-going-tubeless-with-a-spoke-wheel?highlight=spoke+rim
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t1834-got-er-done-spoke-seal-and-mount?highlight=spoke+rim

Can some one help me> I just want to know if this will work hate to spend a long time working on a bike to find out it will not work:)

Thanks

02viral

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Back to top Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty Re: darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!!

Post  Doc Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 am

Sealed rims do work and you can run a tubeless tire on them.

I think the gold standard for sealing rims is 3M 5200.
Wayne did a great write up about 4 years ago... https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t68-sealing-rims
Read the whole thread, quite a few good tips from people who have done this, also a few mistakes are described that
I'm sure you don't want to repeat.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty Re: darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!!

Post  Beermand Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 pm

I sealed my rims following Wayne's advice and photos here. I also posted up on a local riding forum I belonged to with photos and a write up here while I was doing mine. I have been on my sealed rim with a GYTT for over a year now with no leaking and many happy miles. I used the 3M 5200.

Here is the link to my local write up - http://www.lakestockton.com/read.php?75,85210
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty tire and rim confusion

Post  02viral Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 pm

I currently have a tubless tire on the rear of my 2000 aero vt1100c3 and they are a spoked rim. so to install a car tire, do i still need to use the m3 5200 sealer stuff on the rim for the car tire or can I just put a car tire on and Im done? Will a 195/65/15r fit on?

Thanks for all the replies and help. Any brand name I should not use?

02viral

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 am

02viral wrote:I currently have a tubless tire on the rear of my 2000 aero vt1100c3 and they are a spoked rim. so to install a car tire, do i still need to use the m3 5200 sealer stuff on the rim for the car tire or can I just put a car tire on and Im done? Will a 195/65/15r fit on?

Thanks for all the replies and help. Any brand name I should not use?

Are you sure your Shadow doesn't have a tube in the tires?
I've never heard of a spoked rim from Honda that didn't use a tube. How about some pics?
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lj birdman Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

a 195 65 15 will fit perfect i have that on my shadow thumbup im sure u have a tube
lj birdman
lj birdman

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty tire size

Post  02viral Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm

The tire I want to use they dont have 195-65-15, instead the y have 195-60-15.. Would I be able to use that tire? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

02viral

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 pm

02viral wrote:The tire I want to use they dont have 195-65-15, instead the y have 195-60-15.. Would I be able to use that tire? what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Just a hair shorter, should work fine...
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

darkside car tire installation, and spoke rim sealer NEED HELP!!! Empty sabre Rim

Post  btaillon Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 pm

I put a sabre rim on my Aero and put a 215 65/15 on the bike works great and looks bad ass having that fat tire on the bike! Very Happy

btaillon

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down