Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally went Wide!

+4
jwsmith
jedishon
smokey2255
Patch
8 posters

Go down

Finally went Wide! Empty Finally went Wide!

Post  Patch Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:25 pm

The Dunlop dunflopped and I took the plunge! I spent a lot of time researching the tire and size that I wanted and the ride is great! The installation was not bad at all. I borrowed a bike jack from a friend and two tire spoons from work. I was nervous about the drive shaft since I had no experience with it, but it was very simple (thanks to all of the great tips that I have read here no doubt). I went with the Michelin Hydro edge 195/65/15. I wanted the bike a little lower and wasn't concerned with the speedo. Love the ride and thanx for all of the advice.Finally went Wide! WideSide003Finally went Wide! WideSide005
Patch
Patch

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-12

http://scottsprojects.synthasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Finally went Wide! Empty Re: Finally went Wide!

Post  smokey2255 Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Patch
Welcome to the wildside, you rebel you.
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Now you did it.....I can see another rider crashing the first time you try to take a corner, and die in a burst of flames...... Laughing Laughing

Welcome aboard....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Finally went Wide! Empty Hydroedge

Post  jwsmith Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Is your scoot an S or an R model? How does the Hydroedge compare to the Dunflop in height and width? How much air pressure did it take to seal the beads?
That's a really good looking tire.....

jwsmith

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:55 am

Congrats Patch on the darkside....looks nice! Now get out and put some miles on it, tear up some twistes, pull the front wheel, and give us a review?

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Finally went Wide! Empty 200 miles and it's great!

Post  Patch Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 pm

My bike is an R model. The tire seated around 70 psi. and I am running 40 psi in it. I took it out alone for a 70 mile run. It handles great! I feel a lot more traction and a much softer ride. I was expecting to have to throw the bike into turns, but to my surprise it actually seems more responsive. The only thing that I have noticed to the negetive is uneven pavement gets a bit dicey. On sunday I took my girlfriend out and we did 113 miles. I did not notice any difference with her on the back. She noticed a huge difference in the ride. Smooooth is how she described it. "My boobs didn't bounce out of my bra once and my butt didn't get numb at all", was her most telling comment. As for the height difference between the hydro-edge and the dunflopped, it looked like about 1/4 inch when I took the side by side picture, with the dunlop being the taller of the two. I hope this answers all of your questions. I would definately recomend the hydro-edge. I would probably go with the 205/70/15 if I had it to do over, but I wanted to make sure that I had a little wiggle room the first time that I attempted this. I am very satisfied with the 195/65/15 though. Like I stated in my initial post, I was amazed just how easy it was.
Patch
Patch

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 am

Patch wrote:My bike is an R model. The tire seated around 70 psi. and I am running 40 psi in it. I took it out alone for a 70 mile run. It handles great! I feel a lot more traction and a much softer ride. I was expecting to have to throw the bike into turns, but to my surprise it actually seems more responsive. The only thing that I have noticed to the negetive is uneven pavement gets a bit dicey. On sunday I took my girlfriend out and we did 113 miles. I did not notice any difference with her on the back. She noticed a huge difference in the ride. Smooooth is how she described it. "My boobs didn't bounce out of my bra once and my butt didn't get numb at all", was her most telling comment. As for the height difference between the hydro-edge and the dunflopped, it looked like about 1/4 inch when I took the side by side picture, with the dunlop being the taller of the two. I hope this answers all of your questions. I would definately recomend the hydro-edge. I would probably go with the 205/70/15 if I had it to do over, but I wanted to make sure that I had a little wiggle room the first time that I attempted this. I am very satisfied with the 195/65/15 though. Like I stated in my initial post, I was amazed just how easy it was.

I took my wife on a ride after I got the car tire and she asked what I did to the bike and was it the car tire? I asked her why?.......and she said basically what your wife said! ...... Very Happy The darkside definitely has it's pluses! Just wait until you get caught in the rain....no more slipping rear tire or wondering when it's going to step out!

Congrats on your darkside and thanks for the write up!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 am

Wish MY boobs didn't jiggle so much when I rode.... Very Happy

But seriously, you'll be happy with that tire. 195 is plenty wide.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:49 am

Steve-O wrote:Wish MY boobs didn't jiggle so much when I rode.... Very Happy

But seriously, you'll be happy with that tire. 195 is plenty wide.

Now that's just wrong on so many levels............................ Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Patch Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 pm

4128 miles on the hydro-edge. I love it! There are no signs of wear, no problems to report, and I am burning up the road. I can't immagine ever going back to a mt. This is an incredible tire, performs well, rides great, and dry roads???? Who needs them? I get better traction on wet roads that my buddy who runs mt on his C gets on dry roads. We have ridden a lot of miles together and I think he is ready to make the jump after seing the difference for himself. I give the Michelin Hydro-Edge Five stars! Very Happy
Patch
Patch

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 am

Patch wrote:4128 miles on the hydro-edge. I love it! There are no signs of wear, no problems to report, and I am burning up the road. I can't immagine ever going back to a mt. This is an incredible tire, performs well, rides great, and dry roads???? Who needs them? I get better traction on wet roads that my buddy who runs mt on his C gets on dry roads. We have ridden a lot of miles together and I think he is ready to make the jump after seing the difference for himself. I give the Michelin Hydro-Edge Five stars! Very Happy

Awesome Patch! We feel the same way about our tires also!....Congrats! Very Happy

...........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 am

Congrats and welcome to the Darkside. Smile
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:36 am

Patch wrote:4128 miles on the hydro-edge. I love it! There are no signs of wear, no problems to report, and I am burning up the road. I can't immagine ever going back to a mt. This is an incredible tire, performs well, rides great, and dry roads???? Who needs them? I get better traction on wet roads that my buddy who runs mt on his C gets on dry roads. We have ridden a lot of miles together and I think he is ready to make the jump after seing the difference for himself. I give the Michelin Hydro-Edge Five stars! Very Happy

Awesome! I'm glad that tire is treating you well! Seems the better they do, the more converts join the club.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down