Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW to the Darkside.

2 posters

Go down

NEW to the Darkside. Empty NEW to the Darkside.

Post  joearizona Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 am

Well here I am, New to the Darkside, the New bike is a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited, I have 20,000 miles on her & she is ready for a new rear Tire, I'm going to the dark side, So what is the best brand to go to, I'll be useing a 195/60-16 on the rear, I tow a small trailer & camp & tour with the wife, also we run the bike 5 days a week back & forth to work 40 miles each way. The old Dunlap MT has 20,000 miles plus on her & the bike is a yr & a half old. So can I get a little help while I'm in my transformation to the dark side???????

joearizona

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

NEW to the Darkside. Empty Re: NEW to the Darkside.

Post  justbike Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:06 am

I run a 205/55R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP run flat on my 2012 Ultra. I love the tire but don't think they make t any more. I use a run flat due to the sidewall stiffness. I have used a Bridgestone Blizzak run flat in the past as well, it was fine but I like the michelin better. Had a 2010 Ultra with the Michelin, bought a new 2012 rode it home and ripped that crappy bike tire off of it first thing. I find 36psi to be a good operating pressure for me

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  joearizona Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks, THis darkside really got me going, I'll be ordering my new tire this week, there are so many tires to choose from you hope you pick the right one for your bike. I have my own tire changing equipment so I don't have to take it anywhere to have it mounted or balanced & i'll be using Ride-on in the tire after I balance it so I don't think I'll need a run flat. does the Michelin have the same tire that is not run flat or did you go for the run flat for the stiffer side walls? how does your ultra handle with your new tire? I also do a lot of towing & I'm hoping the new tire will do better with the weight I've got behind me & also ride 2 up all the time.

joearizona

Back to top Go down

Post  justbike Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 am

I do believe michelin still makes this tire in a non-run flat. As I said I only chose the run flat for the stiffness of the sidewall. My bike handles excellent at all speeds and all riding conditions.It actually handles much better on most and is very noticeably smoother. I rode this tire on a trip through northern washington, down the oregon coast etc, hundreds of miles of mountains. Loved it. A car tire is rated to handle more weight than a bike tire so it will have no problem with the trailer or two up weight. As for balancing I use the 3 oz dyna beads in the tire, it is balanced perfectly at all times.

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  joearizona Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:09 am

I usually balance my tire & run Ride-on to help flats & totaly balance my tires, I also have dina beads here in my small shop. I have used the beads in everything from motorcycle tires to 18 wheel tractors at work & the guys that run the trucks can't believe how the front ends hold up & work with the beads. I havn't used the Ride-on yet & I was going to use it in my new tire for the bike to help balance the tire & stop with the screws that seem to be on the roads here in Az. after 49 yrs of riding on the east coast & when I moved out here to AZ. was the first flat I ever had. and I'm hoping the ride-on will help to solve my nail & screw problem. I looked at the Dunlap SP5000 tire in 195/60-16 but I may look into the Michelin 205/55-16 instead. thanks for the info & I'll keep in touch.

joearizona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down