Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why the BT-45 almost exclusively??

+5
smokey2255
jedishon
Lou
Doc
Bulldogparts
9 posters

Go down

Why the BT-45 almost exclusively?? Empty Why the BT-45 almost exclusively??

Post  Bulldogparts Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm needing a new front tire. I'm already dark on the back, and am going to do the front with this change. I've read post after post on this site, and one of the Goldwing sites, and the BT-45 is, with very few exceptions, the only tire mentioned to do the "double dark" deed. Why? What's so special about this tire, that the others in the same size don't have?

Just wondering. Randy
Bulldogparts
Bulldogparts

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Why the BT-45 almost exclusively?? Empty Re: Why the BT-45 almost exclusively??

Post  Doc Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 am

What "other ones" in the same size have you found? Shrug
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Bulldogparts Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm

00 Doc wrote:What "other ones" in the same size have you found? Shrug

Avon Roadrider, and Dunlop G709 for starters.
Bulldogparts
Bulldogparts

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Bulldogparts wrote:

Just to be clear, Double Dark is putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front and a car tire on the rear,
The G709 is a Bridgestone and is the OEM front tire for later model Goldwings, it gets pretty good reviews from Wingers using it.
The Roadrider is a rear tire and I believe Jerry is still using one on the front of his VTX and he was liking it last I heard,
I wasn't aware that it came in a size that would fit the Goldwing, and have not heard a lot about them.
I think a lot of people like the BT45 because of the mileage they get from them,
It is a dual compound tire that wears well in the middle, but if you lean aggressively with it in the twisties it will wear out quickly on the edges.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Bulldogparts Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 pm

00 Doc wrote:
Bulldogparts wrote:

Just to be clear, Double Dark is putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front and a car tire on the rear,
The G709 is a Bridgestone and is the OEM front tire for later model Goldwings, it gets pretty good reviews from Wingers using it.
The Roadrider is a rear tire and I believe Jerry is still using one on the front of his VTX and he was liking it last I heard,
I wasn't aware that it came in a size that would fit the Goldwing, and have not heard a lot about them.
I think a lot of people like the BT45 because of the mileage they get from them,
It is a dual compound tire that wears well in the middle, but if you lean aggressively with it in the twisties it will wear out quickly on the edges.

Yep. I'm aware of what "Double Dark" is. There has to be more than one rear tire that can be ran on the front, though. I'm just trying to find one that will handle the mountain twisties 2 or 3 times a year, semi-aggressively, (I'm not as good as some, but I do push MY limits) and still get the high mileage on tamer roads.
Bulldogparts
Bulldogparts

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Have BTX on my 1500 GL have over 13k on it. Has now started to cup,I mounted it in "REVERSE" that could be the cause ,I dont know run 40psi Most of my mileage is on trips all roads ,all weather. With the cupping I'm backing off in the courners. As this is my first experience on the "Dark Side" I went with the posts by others who have been there before me.
Take care,,
Be safe .

Lou

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Still running the Roadrider on my 1300. My ride has not been on the road for a year due to my working in Chicago, but that will be changing shortly.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 pm

I tried the BT45 on my scoot, absolutely hated it. Bridgestone G709 rocks on the front. Best all around tore for the front of the wing. The 45 was trashed at 9k. The 709 has 17k and still rolling strong. I will change it out in about a month (3k) mainly due to winter coming and I want max tread under me in the snow and fun stuff.
See you out there

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  96se Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:07 am

I just replaced by BT45R with 30,000 km (18,000 miles) with another BT45R after a year, the 1st was mounted reverse direction & I have no complaints, it was cupped but then my FL Boards are pretty scraped on the bottom too. The center still has lots of wear, I mostly got a new tire with poorer weather & colder temp's comming (January was the only month I didn't ride this season)
I"ve mounted this new one forward direction to see if it is any different.
I always run ALL my tires at MAX pressure on the sidewall so 41 pounds it is.
I run a Goodyear Assurance @ 51 pounds & will again it this one ever years out ...............
Ride Safe
96se
96se

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-13

http://www.drivingskills.on.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxcandyred Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Lou wrote:Have BTX on my 1500 GL have over 13k on it. Has now started to cup,I mounted it in "REVERSE" that could be the cause ,I dont know run 40psi Most of my mileage is on trips all roads ,all weather. With the cupping I'm backing off in the courners. As this is my first experience on the "Dark Side" I went with the posts by others who have been there before me.
Take care,,
Be safe .
I run the same and so far at one season its perfect. Its mounted in the direction of the arrow. I keep the pressure up to forty to forty five and keep an eye on it. The rear is the run flat wintersport.
vtxcandyred
vtxcandyred

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Why the BT-45 almost exclusively?? Empty for reference - other rear tires for the front of the wing

Post  genedjr Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 pm

From Amazon...
Michelin Pilot Activ Motorcycle Tire Cruiser Rear 130/70-18
Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Rear Tire - 130/70H-18
Vee Rubber White wall Radial Tire - 130/70R18 (does not indicate rear or front)
Shinko 705 Series Dual Sport Rear Tire - 150/70R-18 (hummm, maybe not fit)
AM23 Race Tire - Rear - 130/70R18 (@ $275!)
Duro HF918 Tire - Rear - 140/70-18 (fit again may be an issue)
SPORT DEMON 140/70V18 PIRELLI (front/rear not indicated, but picture shows a rear tread pattern and it may be a little too wide)
KENDA CRUISER S/T K671 MOTORCYCLE TIRE 130/70-18 (Rear)
fun stuff...
...gene

From ebay
AVON ROADRIDER AM26 130/70-18 REAR TIRE (I like this tread pattern)
IRC ROAD WINNER RX-01 TIRE REAR, 130/70-18 (I don't like this tread pattern)

Last edited by genedjr on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added ebay finds)
genedjr
genedjr

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-11-13

Back to top Go down

Why the BT-45 almost exclusively?? Empty Sorta darkside CORRECTED! Double darkside 1535

Post  PPCDave Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Today I became a Half Darksider, I guess, since I installed a BT45 on the front of my 06 GL1800.  It replaced my 90% shot D250F, and I must say after the first 100 miles I am very pleased. Decel wobble gone, ride smoother and quieter. But it's a new tire, and SHOULD ride better.  I also had my new Yokohama Ascend P195/60R16 mounted on my original rear wheel, replacing the NOT worn out E3 180/70R16 with 3 unauthorized holes in it. Haven't mounted on bike yet - running a new takeoff stock G704 tire and rim I bought off eBay. I wanted to see how the bias ply BT handles on the front before going full Double Darkside.
But it's coming. Soon. Very soon. Twisted Evil

Update: took a 700 mile trip from Baton Rouge to Navarre Beach and back this past weekend. 150 or more miles in the rain Sunday and the new BT45 performed flawlessly. Quiet, smooth and it eliminated the dreaded 40 to 50 mph bar wobble my bike had. Don't know how well it's gonna wear, but as of now I am DELIGHTED with it!
May install the Yokohama CT this weekend, making me a genuine double Darksider.  thumbup

Update 3/1/14:  I'm now Double Darksider 1535!
Installed the Yokohama and have put over 200 on it and really like it. Still working on pressure, at 36 right now.

Last edited by PPCDave on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated previous post)

PPCDave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum