Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Australian member

+2
jedishon
xtradark
6 posters

Go down

New Australian member Empty New Australian member

Post  xtradark Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am

Just wanted to say Hi from Aussie, Luv the site and what you guys are doing, firstly don`t be confused by my user name, its more about my choice of chocolate and women than tires. Its one I`ve used on other forums. I currently ride a 95 VT1100 and have been lurking on this site for a few days now and also have seen Daniel Meyers website, plus watched a few videos on U tube, and I am now convinced that the Darkside is the way to go.
I just need a little advice as to the right size tire for my ride, I notice that some guys are using 205/65/15 on their 1100 shadows and I wonder if that is too wide for the 3-1/2" rim that is on my shadow, I have measured between the swing arm and there is enough space, however the width across the inside of my rear fender is only 210mm. I think it may be too close for comfort. The tire I want to use is the Goodyear Assurance because of its rounded shoulders, Has anyone used this tire on a VT1100? Also I have progessive shocks fitted which lowers me about an 1" under stock , any feedback will be much appreciated, Jonno
xtradark
xtradark

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

New Australian member Empty Re: New Australian member

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Welcome to the site. I am sure the 1100 guys will be here to help you soon. I know some are running the 205, but I dont if they are running stock shocks.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Welcome Xtradark.
Hang in there, You will get your answer. I just wanted to tell you hay from Down under. (down under I-10 that is.) We talk funny too.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:34 pm

That tire should work just fine on your bike. I had lots of clearance between the fender and tire. Now, if you wnt ot be sure, put a strip of clay down the tire as is. You and someone get on and bounce around a bit to see if you disturb the clay.

I had plenty of side room with my 205. I could fit an index finger on either side. Plenty of room.

Good choice of tires too. That was on my short list. I went with a 185 this time and have been happy with it.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks guys for your replies, a question for Steve-O, whats your reason for choosing a 185 this time?
I have done a little research of my own and the 205/65/15 is the closest size to the stock 170/80/15 the diameter is 648mm versus stock 653mm giving 492 revolutions per mile versus stock of 488 revolutions per mile, a change of minus 0.8%.
My other option is to go 195/65/15 which will give me more space, but with a dia. of 634mm. giving 502 revs per mile a change of minus 2.8% also to consider is the smaller diameter tire will lower the bike a little, only 19mm or 3/4" smaller than stock, but I guess you can half that distance because of the axle so it only in affect lowers by approx. 9.5mm or 3/8". I know I`m rambling on a bit here, bare with me I`m thinking aloud. The 195 is going to lower my overall gearing, but can I assume that the change of 2.8% in revs per mile will translate to an increase in fuel consumption of 2.8%? now I need a little help my maths is not that crash hot.
My only other question is regarding my 3 1/2" rim is it really safe to put a wider tire like the 205 on a narrow rim, has anyone had problems?
I welcome all feedback, Jonno.
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey there Jonno. I've got the 205 on my 1990 VT1100C. I LOVE IT! I had a 165/80/15 before this tire. That one felt great too. I really dig the 205. It looks awesome, and I haven't noticed any reprocussions besides better braking and handing in the rain. Smile

I didn't notice a change in gas mileage when I went to the 205. I get just under 40 in the city, and over 40 on the freeway. Welcome to the site! Good to have someone from down under on board!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:11 am

ttexastim wrote:Hey there Jonno. I've got the 205 on my 1990 VT1100C. I LOVE IT! I had a 165/80/15 before this tire. That one felt great too. I really dig the 205. It looks awesome, and I haven't noticed any reprocussions besides better braking and handing in the rain. Smile

I didn't notice a change in gas mileage when I went to the 205. I get just under 40 in the city, and over 40 on the freeway. Welcome to the site! Good to have someone from down under on board!
Hi, thanks for the welcome, I`m thinking my Shadow must be slightly different than you guys have, because I have measured and remeasured the distance between the swing arm and the rear fender, the swing arm would take the 205 with about 1/4" clearance each side but, the fender width is 210mm inside, so only gives a clearance of 2.5mm each side, so I`m not going to risk it, I`ve decided to go with the 195/65/15. I still have a few hundred kilometers left to wear on the stock tire, so in the meantime I`ll keep researching tire brands.
Thanks again for your help, its refreshing for a new guy to join a board and ask for help without getting slagged off as a f#@*ing noob. Very Happy
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:28 am

Welcome.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 am

xtradark wrote:Thanks guys for your replies, a question for Steve-O, whats your reason for choosing a 185 this time? Jonno.

I had a 165 which rode just like a mc tire. Loved it. Went wide for the looks. Found the superslab handling to be superb, but the slow cornering in town was not quite right.

Went with a 185 to improve this and it did. Really like it.

I don't think the aussie version of the vt1100c is any different than here. The bike hasn't been changed much since 1985, for sure the frame has not been modified. So, I think you are good with a 205.

When it comes to measurements, use them as a guage. actual dimensions based on psi and load and rim size will make it vary. On my 205 I could fit my pinky on each side. With the 185, I can get my middle finger in there. I don't recall with my original dunlap.

About the tire size and mpg. The only correlation I could find is how you run your bike. I never saw much variance from tire to tire. Spirits are geared higher to begin with. Lot's of lugging at lower speeds. So a slightly smaller tire is not going to change matters much. I did notice that it lowered my rear end a bit, but kind of like that. Going to lower it again when I change shocks this winter.

G'Day!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Steve-O wrote:
xtradark wrote:Thanks guys for your replies, a question for Steve-O, whats your reason for choosing a 185 this time? Jonno.

I had a 165 which rode just like a mc tire. Loved it. Went wide for the looks. Found the superslab handling to be superb, but the slow cornering in town was not quite right.

Went with a 185 to improve this and it did. Really like it.

G'Day!
Thanks Steve-0, that tells me all I need to know, I`m going for the 195, a compromise between the wide look and good handling. G`day Smile
Jonno.
xtradark
xtradark

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:09 pm

F%#king noob....lol
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh