Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member here

3 posters

Go down

New Member here Empty New Member here

Post  donatalie Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:40 am

I think I know what the answers are going to be, but here goes:
I have a 2004 HD Electra Glide Classic with a Hannigan sidecar on it (for the kids). I would love to put a car tire on the back for the increased contact patch, and tire tread life. The only car tires that look like they might fit the back of the older HD's are spare tires ("Temporary"). I've looked into the different speed ratings and load capacities, and although I would never put those tires on my cars or trucks, it looks like they might actually work for our hack setup. Has anyone ever tried them? Thanks, Don from PA

donatalie

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

New Member here Empty Re: New Member here

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:47 pm

No, but donuts HAVE been discussed. For some reason they are marked as 45 mph max tires. Doesn't take rocket science to figure that they don't have the belts/nuts/build to handle loads we put on the bikes. I'd say it's a bad idea and you're just stuck finding longlife Bridgestones or whatnot. (NOT Metzlers anymore- search this forum and find out why)
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

New Member here Empty Thanks

Post  donatalie Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the response. I did not know they were stamped with that. The reason why I looked at them was the speed and load ratings listed online by the manufacturers. Most of them are speed rated M (81 MPH max) and usually load rated around 100 (1700-ish pounds max). I think you're probably right, but I wanted to ask, just in case someone has done it successfully. Thanks again, Don.

donatalie

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm not totally saying they won't work. I'm just saying that there is a risk that I personally don't want to be the guinea pig for. Not much between you and the CHEESE GRATER, ya know?
Were I to try to run one, I'd stop every five miles and check the temp of it with a laser thermometer, I'd start it out with slow leans to the pegs and really try to make it fail at a lower speed than getting surprised later. I'm darksiding, and that I believe is inherently safer than MT's on many levels. A donut may not even have any advantage.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

New Member here Empty No leaning

Post  donatalie Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am

If I did this, it would be on my sidecar setup. There's no leaning involved, and speeds NEVER exceed 50-55 miles per hour. I only use the hack when riding with my kids, locally on back roads. I have a second bike (2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture) for myself, which I am also considering taking over to the "Darkside." Thanks again, Don

donatalie

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Don, what size is the stocker you are running and does the hack kit interfere with normal clearances? I agree with quad, no way would I put a donut on a scoot, no matter how slow or little I rode it. Would not even want to run across a parking lot with one on. JMHO but it is what I have to go on on the topic Laughing
Your Yammie will be eaasy to find a tire for.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  donatalie Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Smokey
I'm using the stock HD Dunlops 130/85R16. The sidecar does not intrude into the rear wheel, fender, etc. It attaches to the bike frame in front of, and below the passenger's floorboard. I was hoping to find a car tire for it, but the only ones that look like they MIGHT fit are the donut tires. Like I said earlier, the only reason I was looking at them is because the manufacturer specs (weight and speed capacities) APPEAR that they might be adequate. I was hoping someone might have already tried it. I am very seriously considering the car tire for the RSV. Most of the riders on ventureriders that have done it seem to really like it. Gonna put some more thought into it. The biggest problem is that all the local dealers here (south central PA) say that it wouldn't pass the PA annual inspection with a car tire on it. Thanks for the responses. Don

donatalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum