Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Go down

New Member Empty New Member

Post  kennyg Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi, I'm Kenny
I am really interested in the CT idea, considering going that way on my next purchase. Although I read the sticky about no stupid questions, I really only ride about 6k a year, is this worth doing? Question
I live in Alabama and ride a 2007 Honda VTX 1300R

Last edited by kennyg on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

kennyg

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Re: New Member

Post  Big Green Valley Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Welcome Kenny!

I just took the plunge about 1100 miles ago and am enjoying it, so far. I was probably on this board for about a year before I installed the CT. There's great information on here from many good people who have paved the way. I believe once you educate yourself with the info provided here, you'll make the right decision for you.

Take care and ride safe.
Big Green Valley
Big Green Valley

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-03

https://www.youtube.com/user/biggreenvalley?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 pm

I think so. You will spend $100 on a tire and won't have to change it for 4 years. Check the date stamp on the tire to make sure it's new. It is recommended that tires be changed when they are 6 years old.

Get a cool looking tread pattern while you are at it.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kennyg Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Steve-O wrote:I think so. You will spend $100 on a tire and won't have to change it for 4 years. Check the date stamp on the tire to make sure it's new. It is recommended that tires be changed when they are 6 years old.

Would you reccomend one please?

kennyg

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 pm

kennyg wrote:
Steve-O wrote:I think so. You will spend $100 on a tire and won't have to change it for 4 years. Check the date stamp on the tire to make sure it's new. It is recommended that tires be changed when they are 6 years old.

Kenny, that is a loaded question, what are you looking for in a tire? Wide, narrow, lower, taller, directional, unidirectional, A lot of stuff we all considered when buying, or choosing our tires. Help us out to help you out Laughing

Welcome to the site

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:14 pm

And I bet you start putting more miles on it too, seems to be a trend areound here. scratch cheers

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kennyg Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:20 pm

smokey2255 wrote:
kennyg wrote:

Kenny, that is a loaded question, what are you looking for in a tire? Wide, narrow, lower, taller, directional, unidirectional, A lot of stuff we all considered when buying, or choosing our tires. Help us out to help you out Laughing

Welcome to the site

OK, fair enough, I have no desire to change the height of the tire, I would like to use the stock rim, stock rear shock, I have progressive front springs, (standard size) and I ride to work on the highway about 60 miles one way, but love the back roads where I live and ride a lot of the time on that type of road. I'm thinking narrow would be fine, but I am really ignorant on this subject.

See you out there
Smokey

kennyg

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Kenny, The best tire I found to meet what you want would be the Kumho 165-80-15 it is a great tire and I had 10 K on mine when I destroyed it and went wideside. There are a lot of options to meet your needs. I personally am running a Michellan hydroedge 205-70-15. It sits me taller and gives me a lot more clearance. Way increase in lean angle now.
The tire I ran between these 2 was a toyo and I liked it fine.

See you out there
Snmokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 pm

+1 on what Smokey said. I've got 10K on my 165 right now. It will handle very close to what your MT handles like. And the fact that it is 50 bucks is great too. Kuhmo 165/80/15 is a winnner!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Kumho Tire 165-80-15

Post  kennyg Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks for the replies, I see thats a Korean tire, and the price is great! So this tire will fit the standard rear aluminum rim with no modifications necessary?? So now all I need to do is figure out how to mount it. I am going to read through this forum more now, I am very excited about this! Thanks!!

kennyg

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:46 pm

That is other beauty of that tire. No mods necessary for any bike that I know of. You should be all set once you get it seated.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down