Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing rims and tire size.

3 posters

Go down

Sealing rims and tire size. Empty Sealing rims and tire size.

Post  mlr1968 Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:52 am

Ok after much debate I think I may go darkside. My biggest fear is sealing the rims. I have 2005 1300 S. I read the post by Wayne and it is pretty through. One question I have is what size bit did you use to size up the valve stem hole?
Did not notice that in your post. 2nd, What size tire should I go with? Douglas tires are more accesible for me local and the least expensive. Should I just go for the gusto :bom: and get the 205?? After reading the post I think I would like that mucho better!! This would have to be a one step at a time process. I would do the back tire first and see how it goes. Then if I survive go ahead and do the front. Oh, I have already decide to go with Me 880 Marthon on the front.
mlr1968
mlr1968

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Sealing rims and tire size. Empty Re: Sealing rims and tire size.

Post  horseman8m Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Here is a little tip , for the air hole use a rod (wood or metal) and put floor past wax on it before you start and insert it into the inside hole of the valve stem rubber . RTV , epoxy, silicone even jbweld will NOT stick to wax so insted of drilling wax it and save some time .

i hope this helps, Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 pm

They do make smaller valve stems so you dont have to drill, but I dont know where to find them.
You may look around at some bike shops, mesure the hole size befor you go. so you know what to get.
Clean off any rust and put something on it to neutralize the rust, then paint with a can of primer-sealler.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  mlr1968 Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm

decided against sealing rims came across a deal on a rear r model mag with a stock dunnie with low miles. so i will run the dunnie till i need to change it with a real tire!! the bike acutaly looks pretty good considering i have the leather lykes on the X. orderd a met 880 and tube for the front just in case i do not find a front mag. oh well i keep e-baying. i think 205 is what i will go with for the back. cheers
mlr1968
mlr1968

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:56 am

I have a mag and spokes, when you are running the mag, seal lyou rim. then it will be done.

As far as drilling the hole, you may not nee to if you find the right valve stem to screw in, mine had a 22 degree angle on it and I wanted to use it.
Also, I put the valve stem in, it has rubber gasket on it and I just put a peice of tape ove it and then sealed, it really is easy, once you get started, youll see. Also, the worst that can happen is, it dont work.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down