Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing rim

2 posters

Go down

Sealing rim Empty Sealing rim

Post  Dan Koich Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Can anybody tell me how many ounces of 3M 5200 Marine Sealant I need to seal the spoked wheel on my '09 Heritage's 16 inch wheel? This stuff's expensive and I don't want to buy much more than I need.

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Sealing rim Empty Sealing rim

Post  Dan Koich Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 pm

I dug thru the archives and found that one 10 oz tube should be enough. Does anybody know of any other product that is as good as 3m 5200 Marine Sealant but has a short curing time?

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Sealing rim Empty Re: Sealing rim

Post  quadancer Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 am

I used one tube on my old wheel, but didn't wait the full curing time and had a leak at one spoke. Otherwise, that stuff is like you'd had the wheel dipped in a tire mold; it's really rubber and sticks excellently. But don't get impatient. It's probably the best thing out there. As a contractor, I would DEFINITELY not try silicone sealant or any of the roofing caulks. It's just too much risk for products that don't always seal.
I had to use a chisel on the 3m that spilled on my workbench top to get it off.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Sealing rim Empty sealing rims

Post  Dan Koich Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:50 am

The reason I'm looking for something that cures faster is because I'm trying to get on the road by Feb 22 on my way from Wisconsin to Tampa, Fl. I'm driving I-75 thru Ackworth, maybe staying in Atlanta with brother and/or sister in law, depending on who's home then. Probably be there on Feb 24. The weather is a big concern, but I think I've got a new Gerbing suit being loaned to me.
If I get the 3M 5200 on tomorrow or Thursday, I don't have much time to reasemble the bike and test it etc before heading out.
We've got daytime highs in the 30's and lows in the teens projected for next week, so even test riding is problematic. It's snowing here right now. Roads should be clear, but my 300 ft driveway is solid ice. This is going to be a hell of an adventure.
I'm going to need to put a hot tub in my tour pack.

I'm putting the Austone CSR81 car tire (not the taxi tire-the CSR71) on my "09 Heritage It's a 175R16, load range C, 6 ply tubeless. Tire isn't on the rim yet, so I don't have its height or width on the 3" rim. Without being on the rim, under the rear fender the tire looks like it will be a tight fit and I might have to trim some of the plastic. We'll know more when the tire is on the rim.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Now and then I try to hook up with someone passing thru, but it usually doesn't work out so well - I'm in construction/repair and have no work schedule I can depend on. I would love to see that tire on the bike though, and if you need anything coming thru, I have quite a garage here. Tools R Us!
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 am

I'd love to stop and visit. Send me a pm with address and phone and I'll try to connect. Weather getting out of Wis still doesn't look good, and I just came down with a virus, but we're gonna try to leave next Tuesday. First night near Milwaukee, The next night near St Louis, next night near Atlanta. Then on to Tampa. The Austone is going to get a good test right off the lift. The borrowed Gerbing suit will be worth it's weight in Gold.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 pm

This forum really is a treasure chest full of information. Digging thru the archives I found another product to seal the spokes with. It's called Seal All. It's inexpensive and available at Ace Hardware, but not at Wallyworld. A single 2-fl. oz. tube will coat all 40 spoke nipples with two coats. The process calls for two layers of Seal All over each spoke nipple then a single coat of Goop Household Adhesive and Sealant over the Seal All. Each layer takes about 6 hours to dry. Lots faster than 3m 5200. It's messy on the rim because I didn't have a syringe with which to dispense it, but it looks like I got the first coat on nice. I just had to watch for bubbles. I use a stainless steel dental pick to pop them. A toothpick would work fine. It should all be cured before Friday night when the tire goes back on (if the Dyna beads arrive).

Now I need someone to babysit my dog for a month.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I'd like to know what it does when passing someone at say, over 90. I'd trust the 3m because I had used it but I understand you're in a hurry. I'll send a pm with info and try to make sure you have tools and a mech available when you pass thru - and shake a paw!
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am

My buddy Bill and I put the Austone on the rim last night. The rim was well cleaned and polished before starting to install, the tire was well lubed with dishsoap, and Bill just laid down on it with his 240 lbs and pressed the tire into place with a bit of help from me standing on the tire. We don't need no stinking tire changers. The bead popped ar 38 lbs. It took less than 15 minutes to put it on. We're testing for leaks overnight and till he gets back from a 4 hour errand today around 2. If it leaks, we (1)either try to re-seal it, but I won't have much time for curing or (2) put a tube back in and dyna beads in the tube. Or (3) put "Ride On" in instead of Dyna beads. I'm going to buy the Ride On just in case. Maybe I'll use the dyna beads when I darkside my front tire.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down