Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14

4 posters

Go down

Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 Empty Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14

Post  Steve-O Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:32 am

I have tried a couple of windshield and lower configurations, and this is the best so far. It blocks the wind well with limited helmet buffetting. I have not tried this at high speed yet, but it does well against the wind.

Before, I had raised the windshield about 2", but I found the line of the top of the plexiglass bothered me. Lowering it allowed me to always look over the shield. Als had the lowers mounted on the forks with the bracket arm going up. This worked, but didn't look right and I still got a lot of buffetting.

The current configuration feels better from a helmet buffetting point of view. I'll keep messing with it and let me know if you have found other configurations that might work better (or just to try).

Windshield Front. Shield top is nosetip level. Shield is 1" over the headlamp. Lowers are mounted at the top of the fork with brackets tilting down. There is a 4" gap between the shield and lowers, but the turn signal is in the gap.
Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 01_Windshield

Windshield Side. Shows the relative distance of shield to lowers.
Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 02_Windshield_side

Windshield and Lower Clamp Placement. Lower clamps are just below the top of the front fork. Bottom windshield clamp will not allow room for the lower clamp if I wanted to aim it down.
Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 03_Windshield_Brackets
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 Empty Re: Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14

Post  Badmoon Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:38 am

Those lowers are huge. Which ones are they. I was thinking about building a set for long rides that are quickly removed. I have a F model and dont want them on all the time. Please keep us informed.

Thanks
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14 Empty Re: Memphis Shade Lowers on a VT1100C14

Post  jedishon Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:54 am

Looking good Steve....
I am too cheap to buy them, so I made my own..This summer I will take them off and round the corners, and maybe paint them blue to match the bike.
http://crapmods.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4503

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:34 am

After talking about the lowers the other day.... I went home and changed mine as well. It is funny!......... I changed mine exactly like you have pictured here.....

I'm still going to make some new "Lucite" pieces that are longer to remove the last bit of wind I've got coming thru....

But it made a huge difference !!!

good pics Steve-O
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:23 pm

These are memphis shade lowers. They match the windshield. All are quick detach, which I will make use of this summer.

I was suprise how different it felt with just a "seemingly" slight change to them. My turn signals are "uncovered" now too. Before,they were behind the lowers. You could still see them blink, but I think it looks better with them uncovered.

I lost my front pouch when I put these on. Didn't loose it, but lost the space for it. Going to put it back on whenever the lowers come off. I liked to carry my glasses and such in it. Not a big fan of the tank bags.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Steve-O wrote: Not a big fan of the tank bags.

Have you ever used one????

I love mine! now you sound like one of them OB folks.... Ha ha ha....
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:21 pm

I made some NEW lowers today!! I'll post the story and pics in a NEW post.

WOW!! what a difference!! I am so glad I did this.

It's a crap mod. , Some will like and some will not.

You'll see.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:26 pm

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:
Steve-O wrote: Not a big fan of the tank bags.

Have you ever used one????

I love mine! now you sound like one of them OB folks.... Ha ha ha....

Our first controversial topic is tank bags....go figure.. I "hear" they are Dangerous!! ! Very Happy No, I've never used one, but that never prevented me from sharing my opinion aboiut the....oh wait...wrong forum. sorry. Smile Smile Smile
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down