Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what size tire/type should I use.

+2
wayne
Tezzmr
6 posters

Go down

what size tire/type should I use. Empty what size tire/type should I use.

Post  Tezzmr Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I just ordered a CT for my 1300 retro today and wanted to know what tire should I use on the front? Radial or bias and what other size can I use also?[b]

Tezzmr

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

what size tire/type should I use. Empty Re: what size tire/type should I use.

Post  wayne Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:31 pm

I have a 1300s and at this time I have a 150-17 Metz. radial on the front, It is one of those things I just had to try. I have about 11,000 miles on it and it will probley go another 8 k or so. I probley will go with the 140 metz when it wears out, I havent tried it yet. Probley just do it to see how it does, the radial is kinda spendie. but it does fill up the front fender, I kinda like that, I like a big front tire. the 140 is a bias. With the 150, being taller, the bikes sits up higher and I dont drag the floorboars as much.
If you try the 150 and you dont like it, you are kinda stuck with it, unless you can aford to have both, trying diff. things can get kinda spendy. But when I have the extra time, I just cant leave things alone. Very Happy
I DONT RECOMEND THE DUNCRAP

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:07 am

I have a C model and run the metz 880 up front. Have not heard anything bad about running a bias up front if that is the base for the question. A lot of us run a bias tire up front.
Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 am

I run a biased ply tire up front and no issues in 2 1/2 years. It's a Bridgestone S11 Spitfire 110/90/19

Glad to have you sir! Any questions you have about this mod...please let us know. Please read all the stickies for conduct and pro's and con's of this mod! Thanks

What tire did you order for you car tire?????????

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Tezzmr Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:35 am

Federal 165/80R15 is this O.K to use?

Tezzmr

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Should work just fine. Don't think anyone else has posted a pic of that one yet. Get some pics once you've got it posted. Good luck. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:39 am

Tezzmr wrote:Federal 165/80R15 is this O.K to use?

Sure...........I road a 165R15 of a different brand that has been discontinued from manufactoring from Thanksgiving '06 to Jan. '08 and road it daily (everyday including winter) for that whole time with NO issues or complaints. I only changed it to see if I could mount a 205 Wideside/Darkside mod and I still had 1/4 of the tread left....hehehehe I figured I got my moneys worth out of the 165! Very Happy It's a great tire!

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tezzmr Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:03 am

Will a bike shop install a CT ? or is this a DIY deal?

Tezzmr

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:13 am

Some will some wont. Usually if you tell them your making a drag bike, adding a sidecar or making a trike they will do it without hasseling you. Small one person shops are your best bet.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:15 am

Tezzmr wrote:Will a bike shop install a CT ? or is this a DIY deal?

A motorcycle shop did mine........ Very Happy + 1 What Jedison said on the motorcycle shops!

You must be careful seating your own tires. I takes a clip on air chuck and a fairly large compressor (no pancake types) and about anywhere from 90psi to 110psi to seat one. It is a little scary seating the bead....hehehehehe

********DO NOT HOLD THE AIR CHUCK ON THE STEM YOURSELF********* and once the beads pops, immediately remove the air line from the compressor with a quick connect as to NOT blow up the tire with over pressuring it and DO NOT remove the air chuck from the tire first! Stay away from the tire and wheel until the pressure has come down. Then remove the clip on air chuck. SAFETY IS UTMOST IMPORTANT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! The reason why is is so hard to seat the bead is the rubber is so soft it grips the bead and sticks to the rim. It also helps to wash the rim completely with a hose and a rag to remove all old soap from previous mountings. Then I use cooking oil all over the rim and bead of the tire up to the letter on the black walls of the tire. You will understand why if you do it yourself.

If any of this is unclear....PM with you number and I will call you to be more clear about the instructions. You do this at your own risk!!! This not meant to scare you, but to keep you safe! This darkside is a mod and to be considered as such! I will never go back to a motorcycle tire again on the rear of my cruiser!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tezzmr Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:33 am

can I re-use my tube (spoker) or do I need a new tube of a different size?
also, I cannot find a 165/80/15 anywhere the one I found is backordered 2-3 mos.
Is a 185/65tr15 o.k for a first timer? and if I do it myself how about balancing it.

Tezzmr

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 am

The 185-65 should be fine. No you do not need to replace your tube. You can balance it yourself using 4 paint cans, 2 on either side slide your axel through the wheel and place it atop the cans. Gently spin the wheel. When it stops on its own mark the top dead center and spin it again. If it falls in the same place add some weights to the top and sip it again. Repeat this process until it stops randomly.
A lot of us are running dynabeads but I don't know if they are recommended for tubes or not. I will go investigate.

Good luck
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tezzmr Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:28 am

They do work in tubes. ordered some today 3oz. for rear 2oz. for front.

Tezzmr

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 am

I went and found the info earlier but screwed up ( i dont often do that) and posted it in the vendor section instead of here.

Okay this is from their website.

Can I use Dyna Beads in tires with inner tubes?
Absolutely! The inside of an inner tube is perfectly smooth, the ideal surface for Dyna Beads.
Note: Some vehicles, like the Unimog, occasionally run inner tubes in these large aggressive tires. Some of these tubes can add 15 - 20 lbs per tire to the weight, so it's advisable to let us know this when you inquire.

Hell yeah. Life just got easier for a lot of folks.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down