Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my first wideside ride...

5 posters

Go down

my first wideside ride... Empty my first wideside ride...

Post  Hudi Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:15 am

....was almost my last ride. This is a true story. last thursday the weather finally reached the point of me riding, about 50 degrees. it was the first time i got to ride in nearly 4 months. i just got done doing my winter mods, painting engine, valves, mustang seats, 205 douglas etc, so i was really excited to get out to ride. after riding for about 15 minutes or so, i was loving the new look and feel of the x. i was going about 40mph down a hill and saw a big school bus ready to pull out. the bus just sat there so i continued, but then the bus pulled out almost right in front of me. my reactions were pretty quick while i pretty much locked up my brakes. the tires squeeled as i slide to a stop. i could not believe how well that wideside tire stopped me. no fishtailing at all, the x almost stopped on a dime. if i were to have had my old m/t on, i dont know if i would be here telling this story. thanks twin, i think you saved my life! so i can say this wideside tire will really stop you in your tracks if you need to lockem up.

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

my first wideside ride... Empty Re: my first wideside ride...

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:53 am

Wow!! glad your Ok and your 'wideside' did the trick for ya. In my tests i noticed the same thing! when the brakes were locked up it tracked straight! Good to know !! I haven't had a real time incident and I hope I don't but it's good to do braking test occassionally.

Again, glad you OK and it all worked out for you....
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 am

Hudi,

Wow!!!!!!!! Man, glad you OK! At least you get to ride another day now. I experienced the same thing, the 205 stops great (no, it stops fantastic) and doesn't step out or do anything funny when it's a panic stop.

...........bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:10 am

Good to hear you came out safe. Always wondered why I bothered to wear clean underwear. When busses pull out in front of you, they are the fist things to get dirty!

No rear tire sliding eh? Going to have to try this in "MY" parking lot. I have done a lot of weaving on the new CT, but need to do a high speed (30 mph) lock up to see what happens. If she doesn't come around - if she tracks behind, this is a dramatic safety improvement over MTs. The old rear lock up is the #1 cause of high siding. Would be nice to be able to brake heavy with the rear and keep the front wheel rolling for steering.... Wonder if the OB knows about this??? Very Happy
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 am

Hudi wrote:....was almost my last ride. This is a true story. last thursday the weather finally reached the point of me riding, about 50 degrees. it was the first time i got to ride in nearly 4 months. i just got done doing my winter mods, painting engine, valves, mustang seats, 205 douglas etc, so i was really excited to get out to ride. after riding for about 15 minutes or so, i was loving the new look and feel of the x. i was going about 40mph down a hill and saw a big school bus ready to pull out. the bus just sat there so i continued, but then the bus pulled out almost right in front of me. my reactions were pretty quick while i pretty much locked up my brakes. the tires squeeled as i slide to a stop. i could not believe how well that wideside tire stopped me. no fishtailing at all, the x almost stopped on a dime. if i were to have had my old m/t on, i dont know if i would be here telling this story. thanks twin, i think you saved my life! so i can say this wideside tire will really stop you in your tracks if you need to lockem up.

Man I'm glad your okay... but what do you mean you haven't riden in 4 months....50 degrees?
It was 22 with a wind chill of 14 this morning, no snow no ice we ride.......set the throttle lock at 85 and let it run.....Whe I lived in Fl I knew some people that were 50-50 riders ...over 50 with less than 50% chance of rain....other than that they didn't ride......I go 2 weeks without riding and I start getting the shakes and very crabby.....
But I am very glad your okay and the tire did you right.
I'll ride with you anytime.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down