Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long)

4 posters

Go down

So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long) Empty So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long)

Post  Freeatlast Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

So after researching and, honestly, hesitating for about six months, I finally installed a Michelin Hidroedge on my VTX1300S. My last rear tire lasted only about 5K miles and have never been very comfortable with the traction I got from either the Dunlop (2nd to last) and the Metzler (last), So on Friday, I took my wheel off, at which point I realized that my shock bushings were also worn, and took it to a shop that agreed to install the tire that I purchased from them. Mounting the tire was actually pretty smooth as it only took about 60-70 psi to make the bead seat. The installer did pinch the inner tube during mounting so they had to re-do it with another new tube, but that was the only hiccup. I installed it as soon as I got home, following the very helpful instructions and tips I found on this forum and also on the VTX forums. I must admit that at first I got a little nervous when it seemed it wasn't going to fit, but I remembered someone saying I would have to deflate the tire to get it to fit into place. I also replaced the shock bushing with the suggested replacements from McMaster-Carr. As I was very anxious to try the ride, I got on it for a test drive as soon as I got done, and that's where the fun began. The ride was definitely very different. Most noticeably was the feeling of resistance when taking long turns as well as the sensation of reduced traction. I was very surprised with how the front suspension's behavior also changed. As it was late at night, I only rode for a few miles and wrapped it up for the night. I did read all kinds of comments about needing a few hundred miles to get used to it, for the tire to wear the mold, and to try different tire pressures until I found the "Sweet Spot". So this morning my wife and I decided to go for a longer ride to start the getting used to process. We rode for about 100 miles, both city and highway, and I'm happy to say that, although still very cautious and somewhat uncomfortable, I feel that I will get used to it once I can make the appropriate tire pressure and shock absorber adjustments. My specific complains include:
A- Severe tracking, especially on the rougher city surfaces, but also on the highway. At one point, as I was getting onto the highway, there was an uneven pavement section that I couldn't avoid, and let me say, I got scary. I never felt tracking in the rear, and only felt it badly in the front when the tire was below 34 psi. Now it seems accentuated in the front, in spite of the pressure being at 34 psi.
B- The front end seems somewhat floaty and a little more bouncy. I hope to correct this with press. adjustment and stiffening of the rear shocks.
C- The feeling of reduced traction when taking long turns, however, the more I rode, the better it felt.
On the good side, the ride, particularly on the highway, was very smooth, and at one point during the ride today, I had to brake hard and the rear wheel did not lock up on me, which was a very good feeling seeing that I have locked up the rear wheel several times before and it's not a good feeling.
I realize that there is a psychological factor involved in all this, which I hope to overcome soon, but there is definitely a very adjustment to make before it can feel normal.
I will continue to comment as I put more miles on my new CT.
Jim V.
Freeatlast.

Freeatlast

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-07-25

Back to top Go down

So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long) Empty Re: So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long)

Post  Beermand Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:37 pm

It only gets better and better! The tracking is caused by too much tire pressure in the CT. Try about 34 psi in the rear and see if that doesn't help it did for me.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long) Empty Re: So I finally joined the "Darkside"... (long)

Post  twin1300 Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Jim,

Trust me...it's not slipping on you! LOL Secondly, I think you are correct and that's it's a mental thing. And....Beermend is correct....adjust your psi makes all the difference in the world. Go lower.

Congrats and welcome to the site.

.................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Not to worry man, a lot of us went thru a queasy period in the first couple hundred, but there's a reason we say "ride it like ya stole it" after that! It's all in your head and WILL go away as you get used to all that traction!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down