Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red light sensors

+5
Fly
twin1300
smokey2255
NeonLeon
Bluedog 50 PanShovel
9 posters

Go down

Red light sensors Empty Red light sensors

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:46 am

having some trouble with triping red light sensors . Typed this into search didn't see anything. anybody out there know anything to do ? Sorry if I missed it on some other post. thanks

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-03-27

Back to top Go down

Red light sensors Empty Re: Red light sensors

Post  NeonLeon Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:02 am

If you are talking about stop lights ... I have that problem with some of them. They sell these on the OA:

Red Light Changer

I don't know if they work ... Suspect
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:44 am

A lot of folks just hang a magnet under their scoot, swear by it.I always make a habit of making sure I ride the whole distance of the strip. Even doing that I have one light in my commute that if it looks like I am going to be the only one there I will cut through a parking lot to avoid it. I should prbablytry the magnet trick for myself to see if it will help there.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:43 pm

When they don't change...I just check real good and go!

We had a guy here in LA get stopped after a light wouldn't change for him and he eased out and a cop gave him a ticket for running a red light. He didn't pay and chose to take it to court. When the judge asked him how he pleaded, he said not guilty and the judge asked why. He pulled out one of the red light changers and said that traffic won't change for bikes and unless someone came up behind him he could be stuck all nite. The judge asked to see the sensor and then through the ticket out of court and dismissed the case. Of course, it does depend on the judge.

......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:07 am

All these magnets and sensors have been proven to be a complete waste of time. Traffic signals use electrical sensors that are tripped by the large metal mass moving over the coils of wire laid in those square patterns you see close to the signal. Unless you hang a hundred lbs or so of metal under the bike, anything you add is wasted time and money.

All traffic sensors are supposed to be tripped by any road legal vehicle. If one doesn't, report it to the police or the city traffic dept. They are supposed to adjust it so that a motorcycle will trip it. In many states, if a bike waits for more than one normal cycle, the light doesn't trip, and they proceed with caution, no ticket will be issued. If there is, certainly take it to court and explain the facts. Just because someone took one of these magnets to court had little to do with the ticket being dismissed.

And the more of us that report these non-triggered lights, the better it will be for all of us.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 pm

I read that Ga. is going to allow bikes to go IF the light doesn't change, but you're still responsible for safety.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Missouri has the law already, we can go after so many light cycles or minutes don't remember exactly but with the X I have never had an issue, enough metal or weight I guess almost every light I have ever encountered changes for me.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Same for my Harley. Lotta slow moving metal there.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  coltergeist Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 pm

"All these magnets and sensors have been proven to be a complete waste of time. Traffic signals use electrical sensors that are tripped by the large metal mass moving over the coils of wire laid in those square patterns you see close to the signal. Unless you hang a hundred lbs or so of metal under the bike, anything you add is wasted time and money."

I'm not sure if this is correct. I was taught that it is not the "mass" of the vehicle, but rather the embedded wire produces an electro-magnetic field that is broken by any other electro-magnetic field - such as the electro-magnetic field that an engine produces - is what triggers these sensors. Of course, our bikes don't have a high-output stator or an alternator and don't seem to generate much of an electro-magnetic field. Therefore, when I'm in one of them and I'm the first vehicle, I will bump my rpms up to about 1500-2000 (by ear - no have tach), occassionally revving it up a little higher. This usually does the trick. I've always done this and I can't recall ever having to wait two light cycles unless I'm behind some idiot cager who missed the sensor pad altogether (which has happened).
coltergeist
coltergeist

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Mon May 23, 2011 4:46 pm

coltergeist wrote:"
I'm not sure if this is correct. I was taught that it is not the "mass" of the vehicle, but rather the embedded wire produces an electro-magnetic field that is broken by any other electro-magnetic field

did you read that on the internet.... gotta be true eh1

the induction loop in the pavement senses ferrous(iron) materials

if your vehicle doesn't trip it, best thing to do is report it to the hwy dept responsible for that intersection so they can go out and adjust the sensitivity, in the meantime, run the light at the first safe opportunity, or turn right then make a u turn at the first safe opportunity
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down