Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie with a few questions that require help~

5 posters

Go down

newbie with a few questions that require help~ Empty newbie with a few questions that require help~

Post  xamual Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:38 pm

hello, my name is xamual, from singapore. i recently acquired a honda steed vlx 400. yes a 400. was browsing through the web looking for replacement rims when i accidentally (fate has it) stimbled on the wonderful world of darkside! read through, i'd reckon, at least 30++ pages of info and testimonials and decided that i would like to darkside... here comes my questions..

1) my stock tire size is 170/80 15" or so genuinemotorcycleparts.com says. realised that my puny little 400 is having the same size of tires as the honda shadows listed in this forum! so now, what do i do? get a car tire that matches this spec and use it? that's all? (tubed tire. not tubeless. i blame the 17year old bike technology. : D )

2) my rim is the original spoke rim with drum brake. will that be an issue? (do advise if i have to change rim or something..)

3) i was browsing for information for newbies but i seem to have missed them, am i allowed to even ask these questions? (please, if i broke any rules do kindly and gently let me know.)

lastly, if anyone could point me towards more information, a great big thanks in advance!!

ride safe,
xamual

xamual

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

newbie with a few questions that require help~ Empty Re: newbie with a few questions that require help~

Post  twin1300 Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Congrats and welcome to our site!

We suggest that you either use the stock tube or seal the rim if all possible. Check out links to sealing rims by "wayne". He is kind of our expert here on sealing rims.

I would run a 165/80/15. Great tire size and I think you will love it. If my 1300 can give the tire everything and it can take the abuse, your 400 can surely handle it.

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

newbie with a few questions that require help~ Empty Re: newbie with a few questions that require help~

Post  smokey2255 Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:30 pm

xamual, welcome to the forum, you posted your questions in exactly the right spot. Very Happy Like twin said the 165-80-15 is a great tire and will last a long tome on your 400. I would just put a new MC tube in and mount the car tire with itin. Personally dont know that I would trust sealing a rim that old.

Again welcome to the site and enjoy.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  xamual Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:12 am

cool! actually got the right place to post! and you guys are so friendly! here comes a couple more questions if you dont mind..

1) what are the brands i should check out? (i keep seeing metzler and avon popping up..)

2) anyone knows anything about car rim conversion? (now that is a true darkside conversion.. joking~ : D i am just that much more curious as to whether if anyone got a car rim working for them, or how they got a car rim converted for bike use.)

as always, eagerly awaiting for replies~
regards,
xamual

xamual

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:37 am

xamual wrote:cool! actually got the right place to post! and you guys are so friendly! here comes a couple more questions if you dont mind..

1) what are the brands i should check out? (i keep seeing metzler and avon popping up..)

2) anyone knows anything about car rim conversion? (now that is a true darkside conversion.. joking~ : D i am just that much more curious as to whether if anyone got a car rim working for them, or how they got a car rim converted for bike use.)

as always, eagerly awaiting for replies~
regards,
xamual

Any brand you can find with the 165 has been great so far. Don't forget to search some air cooled Volkwagen sites, because the 165 was used mainly for these beetles, vanagons, and such.

Secondly, you asking for trouble and a lot of head ache getting the car rim to to fit you bike. Just do the 165/80/15 darkside and you will NOT have any more worries.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:57 am

Not only is this guy really polite, but has a great command of English and questions to ask.
Yeah buddy, the tire itself is the answer, but with a light bike like yours, I'll assume that your sweet spot for
tire pressure will be a bit lower than others use; you will just have to experiment.
Ride it hard to get used to it. The easier you ride, the more you feel the crossover effect of the DS tire. That
all disappears soon enough.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 am

Do not forget your tire most likely will have a slippery film (mold release) on it and will need to be worn off before pushing it to hard. 100-200 miles normally works. Less if you have a dirt road you can run it on.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Yeah. thanx for gettin' my back, Jed. My trick was to run the neighborhood at about 15mph doing weaves and hard corners for about a half hour. She was golden after that.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down