Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older Bikes

5 posters

Go down

Older Bikes Empty Older Bikes

Post  THeRattlerHFFH Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Ok, so I have some questions. Im seriously researching this whole Darkside riding. Out here where Im at it almost seems like the only way I can increase my riding season would be studded snow tires or something like that. I live outside Hardin, Mt. The weather is insane out here. Rain, snow, sun, snow, rain.... all in one day sometimes. This winter has really been hard on the old MC tires.... Anyways. I ride a custom built 74' Sportster. 1000cc, with Brit style shift(thats the right hand side), forward controls, and a rigidized swingarm rear end. So the questions I have are these..... 1. Why is it that I dont see anyone doing this to older bikes, on here or off? And 2. No matter WHAT, I want to try this! Anybody out there that is willing to help me gather the info I need to be able to do this right on this older bike??
THeRattlerHFFH
THeRattlerHFFH

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Older Bikes Empty Re: Older Bikes

Post  jedishon Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:54 am

For older bikes doing this, I don't know. For your bike WE will need to know what tire you have on now and how much clearance you have between your tire and your chain/belt.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Older Bikes Empty Tire size.

Post  THeRattlerHFFH Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Ok so the tire size on this little lady is a HD Dunlop MT90B16 HD74. Just over 1/4 of an inch of space between the chain and tire. Hope that helps us both out. Smile
THeRattlerHFFH
THeRattlerHFFH

Back to top Go down

Post  MAS Tequila Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 am

That is basicly a 130/90/16. I've not seen a CT any where near that size. You could try looking for something close. Here's a link to a tire size calculator.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

Good Luck

MT
MAS Tequila
MAS Tequila

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Older Bikes Empty Tire Size

Post  THeRattlerHFFH Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Well, Mas Tequila, thanks for throwing a size range on there.... guess Im gonna have to modify the whole bike to do this. Could be a while if I do.... Ill keep you all posted. Thankyou again!
THeRattlerHFFH
THeRattlerHFFH

Back to top Go down

Older Bikes Empty How to.....

Post  THeRattlerHFFH Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:35 am

Ok, so Ive been looking around everywhere... Asked all the gurus out here that I know.(the people who taught me how to put together bikes in the first place!) And noone knows a damned thing about how to switch this thing over..... The way its looking I wont even have a harley by the time Im done. Pretty much the only manufacturers who produce a rim that will fit a car tire are Japanese, so Im going to have to figure out how to space everything for a Japanese rear end on an american bike. Apparently God sent me to piss all the bikers off..... Cuz Im GOING to do this. Just to see how. So another couple paychecks and I will be purchasing a rim, and car tire. Ill start adding photos once the parts start coming in. Hope all this will help some future Modder since it seems like I am the only one in the world doing this to an old Harley. Somebody please at least wish me luck!

TheRattler.
THeRattlerHFFH
THeRattlerHFFH

Back to top Go down

Post  vs800rider Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 pm

I posted some info on that ct tire size in this thread it is the last post. I also posted this in the pic section. As you can see plenty of older bikes with CT's on them. Btw that pic is from the mid 70's. Good luck with getting on the DS.

Older Bikes 76runjc
vs800rider
vs800rider

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Can you run a "jack shaft" and put the chain on the other side of the bike and then you could make the space between the swingarm or rigid frame as wide as you would like.

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Older Bikes Empty Jack Shaft

Post  THeRattlerHFFH Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 am

A jack shaft isnt looking like its necessary. Going to pull the sprocket cover, put on an offset sprocket from an evo(oddly enough will fit the shaft that exists on my 74) And fatten the rear end. Doing THAT is gonna cost a bit, gotta buy a wider swing arm, or go all the way rigid. Seeing as how the rest of the frame is stock and just on struts I can adjust the height of the fender all I want this way so Im going for the wider tire swingarm, and fatter fender. Should work out pretty good. Just expensive. One piece at a time and I should have this baby up by next spring. Gotta start with the rim and rubber first so I know how to mod the swingarm. Thankyou guys for your input. Ill post some pics of the bike as it sits once I drag it out of the shed now that the snow has FINALLY melted off out here for a minute.
THeRattlerHFFH
THeRattlerHFFH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down