Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazed Mechanic

3 posters

Go down

Amazed Mechanic Empty Amazed Mechanic

Post  simpleman77 Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 pm

So, I took the VLX to the bike shop today to have a few items taken care of. Have a new tire put on the front (w/ Dynabeads), check the rear brake linkage (only when the bike is cold, brake does not fully release after being used. when warm, no problem), check and adjust the valves (if needed) and check and replace the spark plugs (if needed and only if he gets into adjusting the valves. I figure, if he has it apart, might as well. Otherwise, I'll do them).

Now, I say all that to say this, this is the same mechanic that mounted my c/t 5,600 miles ago. He's a great guy and a very competent mechanic. When he asked about the c/t tire I told him to go take a look. He stood there amazed and told me that I hadn't been riding because the tire looks brand new. He then called to a couple of crusty old biker-dudes who were inside tinkering with their big Harley. Here come these guys, tatoos, long hair and long beards & I figure that I'm in for a good talking to by the "old school" bikers.

Well, they were impressed. They had just put a new rear tire on the Harley and were talking about which m/t got the best mileage and had the best grip for cornering. They asked a few questions, made a few comments about the old school choppers from the 50's and 60's using tires from VW Bugs and we had a great conversation. I told them that this tire was the replacement size for the VW Bugs and they laughed. It's nice to be amongst open minded people.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Amazed Mechanic Empty Re: Amazed Mechanic

Post  Otis56 Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 pm

nice post simpleman,,same with my tire, no noticeable wear, so close to 10k on it , it will prob. go 20k miles.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:18 pm

You shoulda seen the look from the mechanic when I told him that I was going to NC to ride the Dragon next year. Shocked Shocked Shocked I'll have to bring it back in one piece, with pictures, to make him a full believer. Laughing Laughing
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:33 pm

that's right, no tree of shame,,lots of pics Cool

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Good report Eric. You can always send your mechanic here if you want.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:44 pm

simpleman77 wrote:So, I took the VLX to the bike shop today to have a few items taken care of. Have a new tire put on the front (w/ Dynabeads), check the rear brake linkage (only when the bike is cold, brake does not fully release after being used. when warm, no problem), check and adjust the valves (if needed) and check and replace the spark plugs (if needed and only if he gets into adjusting the valves. I figure, if he has it apart, might as well. Otherwise, I'll do them).

Now, I say all that to say this, this is the same mechanic that mounted my c/t 5,600 miles ago. He's a great guy and a very competent mechanic. When he asked about the c/t tire I told him to go take a look. He stood there amazed and told me that I hadn't been riding because the tire looks brand new. He then called to a couple of crusty old biker-dudes who were inside tinkering with their big Harley. Here come these guys, tatoos, long hair and long beards & I figure that I'm in for a good talking to by the "old school" bikers.

Well, they were impressed. They had just put a new rear tire on the Harley and were talking about which m/t got the best mileage and had the best grip for cornering. They asked a few questions, made a few comments about the old school choppers from the 50's and 60's using tires from VW Bugs and we had a great conversation. I told them that this tire was the replacement size for the VW Bugs and they laughed. It's nice to be amongst open minded people.

Eric

O.K., so a sucky footnote. I picked up the VLX today and the mechanic still needs to work on the rear brake, it sticks, internally. Anyway, he tells me to bring the bike back next week and he'll pull the wheel and fix the issue. I say that i'll get it back in the next week or two. He and his wife then tell me that they are closing their shop Friday of next week, forever. No

She has a mother in Mobile, Alabama that is sick and they are moving up there. They don't want to sell the shop because of bad experiences with other businesses so they are simply closing down. Now, since it's all about me, Laughing I'll tell you that this is the first and only shop that I ever trusted to work on my bike. They are honest and do real good work and it sucks that they won't be open to work on MY bike. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Now, the other part, about them. Very Happy I'm glad that they are moving. The sole reason is to keep from putting her mom in a nursing home and I respect the heck outta that. Anyway, just a footnote.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down