Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARNING DEER!!!

4 posters

Go down

WARNING DEER!!! Empty WARNING DEER!!!

Post  Kosy Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:46 am

This morning I left before light on my usual commute of a little over 100 miles to work. Most of the trip is on country 2 lane hiways and is often very peaceful. The ride start out great. It was a little cool with no wind and I was getting into the sound of my engine in the stillness of the moment. About 28 miles into the ride I noticed the grass moving to my left and I let off the throttle. Just then a Deer popped out onto the roadway. I immediately started braking locking up the wheels and letting off. The observed intersection of me and that deer meant I was going to hit it broadside as the deer was struggling to gain traction on the asphalt. I immediately shoved my left hand out to get the bike going left and started scraping engine guards as my floor board was being pushed up. I thought if I am going to hit this deer then I wanted to do it sideway while lying the bike down. Just at that moment the Deer gain traction and strated to move it was at that moment I got the feeling of the song "Jesus take the wheel" as I shoved hard with my right hand to get the bike back over before leaving the road on the left. The bike responded and I starting moving right instantously. I took me several seconds to gain full control of the bike. I stopped at a convience store about 2 miles up the road to gather myself and go clean out my drawers. When I walked in the Owner ask me if I was alright as he noted that I was white as a sheep. I told him the story and he to being a MC rider got me a cup of coffee and told me to sit down for a little bit.

I don't want to start anything here but let point to the fact that we find out real quickly if the decisions we made regarding our bike's upgrades are deficient in times of emergency. If anyone questions the ability of a car tire on a cruiser let me assure you that the Michelin HE never broke loose in the hard fast speed manuevers. As a matter of fact I was really impressed in hindsight because of how hard I had pushed the bike over in both counter-steering manuevers.

Warning!!! Deer are on the MOVE.
Kosy
Kosy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

WARNING DEER!!! Empty Re: WARNING DEER!!!

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am

Another amazing story for the ct......Glad you got out of it okay, could have been pretty bad.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm

nice story indeed Smile i dont worry about deer anymore,i know you can survive a deer hit as long as it doesnt broadside you.check out youtube and you will see there are only 1 person that goes down out of 4 that hit the deer.its still scary but it is fiesable.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosy Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I am amazed at the youtube videos. It seems the ones who braked hard crashed and the ones who had little time to react just cut the deer up.... make you wonder.
Kosy
Kosy

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:34 pm

I have always gone to full throtle when a deer jumps in front of me. Figure if I'm going down I want as big a ball of flame as I can get.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:27 am

jedishon wrote:I have always gone to full throtle when a deer jumps in front of me. Figure if I'm going down I want as big a ball of flame as I can get.

Jerry
this makes perfect sense minus the ball of flames lol.the faster your bike will go before you hit the deer, is better,it would kinda be like a tornado throwin a pine needle into a tree.the slower you go will most likely yield a crash.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am

Kosy,
'magine if when you were locking up the rear wheel and letting off that you had one of them "puny, good-4-nuthin'" m/c tire on the back affraid , instead of 8 inches of rubber skidding on the deck!!!!! I think it prolly wooda been a different outcome. Good-on-ya!!! Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosy Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:53 am

marine-mp wrote:Kosy,
'magine if when you were locking up the rear wheel and letting off that you had one of them "puny, good-4-nuthin'" m/c tire on the back affraid , instead of 8 inches of rubber skidding on the deck!!!!! I think it prolly wooda been a different outcome. Good-on-ya!!! Semper-fi Mike

My thoughts exactly! But what impressed me the most is that I honestly got so far over on the lean that I thought the tire would cut loose... I was scraping hard! hard enough that my floor board was raising up to at least the engine guard level....
Kosy
Kosy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down