Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New DarkSider from Alabama

+2
jedishon
dredman
6 posters

Go down

New DarkSider from Alabama Empty New DarkSider from Alabama

Post  dredman Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey folks, looks like I am in the right place. Made the move this past weekend, against almost everyone's advice, and after a bit of parking lot and low speed trials, moved out onto the highway, then into the twisties. Had about 80 miles of hard riding yesterday, just to find a weak point, or some kind of "edge" - but I could not find it. The only weird thing is that "just off center" point that makes the rear end feel squirley, like it is sliding?

How do you explain that?
Is there anything that can be done to diminish or reduce that effect?

I am looking for clinical, definitive and scientific answers as I am documenting this "experiment" on the web and making a short documentary on the subject.

->>The Dark Side at Bama Rides

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

The Dark Side

dredman
dredman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-28

http://bamarides.com/

Back to top Go down

New DarkSider from Alabama Empty Re: New DarkSider from Alabama

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:19 pm

dredman, thanks for the link. Looks like people are fairly open minded for you. When I first went darkside I felt the same thing. What I came to realize is that it was the extra traction I was feeling. Funny thing is, its very rare that I feel it any more. If I take a new bike out for a test ride and it has a mt on it I feel very insecure and will baby it rather than getting on it like I do mine.
I can only imagine what it would be like if all cruisers came with car tires as original equipment and some one wanted to experiment by puting a sport bike tire on. You would hear comments like you cant do that, that tire will colapse while cornering with all that weight. That tire is to skinny you are going to be all over the place in the rain and wind.

In other words, it rides different. It is 99% mental getting used to and 1% finding the right air pressure. Play with yours go up about 4 lbs and see what it feels like. If its worse work your way back down. Once you find the sweet spot in the air pressure you will know it. But I have to say I found the more wear on the tire the less air you need. I started at 41 when the tire was new and I am at 32 now with over 24,000 on it. I am about ready to replace it. I hit the wear bars a couple thousand miles ago.
For comparison I ride a VTX 1300R.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

New DarkSider from Alabama Empty re new darksider from alabama

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Sounds like a mind trick thing to me,I have been running GTYY 205-60-16 for 2 years and have never had that feeling.I do know from experience that the car tire provides a lot better traction in all conditions than the MC tire so this feeling doesn't make a lot of sense to me.what pressure are you running?RIDE SAFE Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 pm

just wanted to know whet psi are you running
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:24 pm

+1 on what these guys are saying....I think it's in your mind also, but just in case it's not! Do what Jedison suggests, play with air pressure! We have had a many a guys say, it's slipping or not feeling like it's holding the road and I always ask them to try to make it break traction....it always comes back, NOPE!

Give it about 300 miles and definitely play with air pressure and then come back and tell us what you think?

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh, Yea! Welcome Bama to the Darkside!

................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:37 pm

What dredman wrote that our buddy Jedison picked up on..... Laughing

dredman wrote:The only weird thing is that "just off center" point that makes the rear end feel squirley, like it is sliding?

I am looking for clinical, definitive and scientific answers as I am documenting this "experiment" on the web and making a short documentary on the subject.

So....you are looking for the clinical, definitive and scientific answers to squirrelly?????? Smile Very Happy Sad Don't know how to answer this???

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 pm

I just went Dark Side a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but it reminded me of hitting tar snakes on the highway. Technically speaking the a$$ end did a little hoopty Very Happy Jerry helped me out and told me to adjust the air 2#'s at a time. I hit 35psi and the hoopties are gone. I never even think about the tire anymore until some one says "man that looks great!" I'm running Dyna Beads in a GYTT 205-70-15.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:00 pm

I ride between 36-40 psi.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09