Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Douglas vs Grabber

4 posters

Go down

Douglas vs Grabber Empty Douglas vs Grabber

Post  itowbigtrucks Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:53 am

I posted my problems with the Douglas on the VTX board, but I will give a brief rundown here. I have an 06 1300r. I put the Douglas 205/70/15 on it. It really seems to stick to the road well, but I can feel the sidewall "rolling" on it pretty bad. It obviously gets worse 2-up. The wife is freaked out pretty bad when she feels the back of the bike swaying.

My question, if I go with the Grabber, will i have these same issues? I may have to revert back to a m/c tire just to keep her happy and comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

itowbigtrucks

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-12

Back to top Go down

Douglas vs Grabber Empty Re: Douglas vs Grabber

Post  Steve-O Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 am

what psi are you running? Of all the video I've seen of the car tire running, I've never seen it deform in any way. Make sure the tire is at the recomended psi and I guarantee you that the sidewall is not bending or folding in any way. Just doesn't happen.

What you are feeling may be something else. One of the most common comments from riders new to car tires are that they "feel" the road much more. You have a very large contact patch now and any tar snakes, grooves, cracks, or whatnot are all transferred up to your backside in stereo. If you know this is what's happening, then you get comfortable with it and actually, it's another "safety" perk that we get.

Most 2 up riders claim a smoother ride.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:30 am

itow,

I have been riding the Douglas now for almost two years and not familiar with what you are talking about! I am not saying that you are wrong, but what air pressure are you running? What are your real shocks set at when two up??? How many miles do you have on it now?

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  itowbigtrucks Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:24 pm

It is definately a rolling feeling. When in a turn and I accelerate, the weight shifts, but the tire is still planted. I tried it at 30psi, then went to 44 psi,and it was definately less noticeable, but still there.

itowbigtrucks

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

check your rear shock bushings. when i first went darkside i had somewhat the same problem. i found that my rear shock bushings were bad. I replaced them with nylon bushings and have no more problems. good luck ....Griz Very Happy
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down