Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you rather make a left or right turn?

+22
Just Steve
leathersmith237
slikdj
midwestrider
fox9988
yank
smokey2255
ole bob
Railrider
Poppawolf
dromega
Otis56
horseman8m
marine-mp
jedishon
twin1300
cerooth
DS-Wing-Nut
ttexastim
grizak
Larry Simpson
Steve-O
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty Would you rather make a left or right turn?

Post  Steve-O Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm

If you were in an open parking lot and had to turn around and go the other way. Would you rather make a right or left turn? I ask because I'd rather make a left turn every time. I'm just not as confident in my right turns for some reason....no reason not to trust it, but just feels better turning left.

Also saw another "left side of front tire wearing faster" and thought this might be one of the many causes.

What say ye?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty RE WOULD YOU RATHER MAKE LEFT OR RIGHT TURN

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Hadn't thought about it but it would be left for me also. scratch scratch
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty Re: Would you rather make a left or right turn?

Post  grizak Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:44 pm

I seem to prefer right turns. mabey it is because i am left handed. scratch Very Happy
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty Re: Would you rather make a left or right turn?

Post  grizak Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:53 pm

the left side of my front tire wears out first also. I believe it is because of the crown on highways, to allow water to run off. if highways were level ,there would be a large puddle of water, when it rained. Very Happy
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Wow ... quite an observation Steve! I'm left as well. Lefts just feel natural.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Either... Don't matter to me....
But being a MSF Ridercoach and Rider's Edge Instructor I practice both quite a bit!!! Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

But I will say it is a known fact that most, not all, prefer left hand turns..... Some thoughts are that it is because in a right hand turn, slow maneuver, you are using a handle bar turn to the right and your throttle hand can become compromised if not practiced to work the throttle and keep it steady.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

REally depends on where I'm at in the parking lot and if they have parking bumps, might just ahve to do figure 8's for a while until I get bored with that then see where I'm at. Very Happy
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 am

As you can see in my avatar...I like left turns also! I have thought about this before, why I like left turns better and it is for me anyway.....when I make some hard right turns, my pipes drug the ground and that told my mind that hard parts are dragging and don't push it so hard. Not so with left handers, I only drag the pegs there! JMO

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:33 am

Left..... As stated above I like to keep my throttle hand free and clear

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:04 am

Left, but am capable of either!!!!!!!!!! My theory, thats all it is, a theory, is because the brake pedal and throttle are on the dominant side for a right hander. JMHO Semper-fi

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 pm

TURN ? I haven't made a turn yet with a CT on the back. Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz bounce scratch
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:38 pm

the road my house is on is a "no exit" street, say cul de sac, I try at least once a week to ride to the end of the road and do multiple figure 8's, it's very good practice, and .... scratch what was I going to say scratch ,,dang..anyhow do figure 8's to improve skills left and right.

mark f scratch
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty re: Would you rather make a left or right turn?

Post  dromega Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Rather make right turns, silly motorcycle won't trip more than 30% of the left turn lights around here. Very Happy

dromega

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

This is great question. I too prefer a left slow turn but I prefer a right high speed corner. I will rub more pegs on the right side than the left going through the twisties at speed.

Now I am going to be thinking about this more and have to practice my right hand turnarounds.

Db
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Railrider Sat May 02, 2009 11:37 am

I gotta say, I like the left turns also.
Railrider
Railrider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  ole bob Fri May 08, 2009 3:27 pm

left turn for me too.

ole bob

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 pm

I practice em all. As you all know though ...... you cant turn with a car tire. So after my third cornering maneuver I have to take a break. My back hurts from lifting the bike and turning it. Rolling Eyes Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun May 10, 2009 9:04 am

Now, do us righties like left turns?
Do you lefties prefer right turns?

My feeling is that I like the throttle/brake hand free to adjust speeds as I'm turning. But the right turn just doesn't feel as natural...not quite as confident.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun May 10, 2009 9:55 am

smokey2255 wrote:I practice em all. As you all know though ...... you cant turn with a car tire. So after my third cornering maneuver I have to take a break. My back hurts from lifting the bike and turning it. Rolling Eyes Laughing

See you out there
Smokey

LMAO!!! That right there is funny!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty Left

Post  yank Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Left turn for me, I use a method of tapping my rear break, or throttle to set up or change my line in the corners, right turn,I've already worn a hole through the chrome shield on the bottom of my rear exhaust pipe, have to take my foot of the peg, even though a right turn gives you more road to work with in case the curve turns into an oooosh*t curve.( it's a conspiracy, the Liberals want everyone to go left.)

Doug
yank
yank

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Would you rather make a left or right turn? Empty Question of balance - is your center of balance left or right of the bikes

Post  dromega Wed May 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Just a couple of thoughts. I wonder if the ease of turning one direction or the other has to do with a rider's left to right center of balance.
If I don't conscously reset my left to right balance I tend to be off center to the right (my leg feels the flames from the exhaust and I shift a bit).
I don't know the physics of turning with your weight shifted left or right, whether it is different if you are going fast or slow etc.
Smile

- thanks
- d

dromega

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post  fox9988 Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I'd take the left turn every time,and I'm right handed.

fox9988

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  midwestrider Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 pm

I go left for a couple of reasons, I'm left handed and for some reason a left turn feels more natural. But, I also have Accutronix Foward Controls and the gearshift lever goes over the foot peg where the brake lever goes under the footpeg. I have already scraped the brake lever since it hangs lower. I know turning left I will not scrap anything because the lean angle would be extreme. But the turning right always makes me a little nervous because of worrying about scraping the break lever.
midwestrider
midwestrider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  slikdj Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am

Left hand turns for me. I'm right handed!!
slikdj
slikdj

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  slikdj Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07 am

Left hand turns for me. I'm right handed!!
slikdj
slikdj

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next