Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hot rubber smell

2 posters

Go down

hot rubber smell Empty hot rubber smell

Post  draino Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm

Just helped a buddy remove the tankfrom his vt1100 to correct a hot rubber smell, the shield under his coils fell onto the head and exhaust when the mounting hole tore at the rear. Probably alot of these bikes are getting to the age where the rubber shields should be looked at for cracking at the mount points. The holes that fit over the tabs at the top were torn as well as the bolt hole at the lower end, allowing the shield to shift when we worked on his carbs. Thought I would pass on the info, hope it helps someone
draino
draino

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

hot rubber smell Empty Re: hot rubber smell

Post  ttexastim Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

draino wrote:Just helped a buddy remove the tankfrom his vt1100 to correct a hot rubber smell, the shield under his coils fell onto the head and exhaust when the mounting hole tore at the rear. Probably alot of these bikes are getting to the age where the rubber shields should be looked at for cracking at the mount points. The holes that fit over the tabs at the top were torn as well as the bolt hole at the lower end, allowing the shield to shift when we worked on his carbs. Thought I would pass on the info, hope it helps someone

Thanks for the heads up. My bike is a 1990, so I'll have to make sure I'm not close to this.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down