Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire age and rubber hardness

2 posters

Go down

Tire age and rubber hardness Empty Tire age and rubber hardness

Post  MtBike Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 pm

It has been said that the c/t has softer rubber. My question is with age. Does a c/t that is say 5 yrs old also have softer rubber than a mc tire?

What was the age of the ct tire that the durometer test was run on, and does the ct get harder with age? How does an aged c/t stand up to a new or 1yr old mc tire?

MikeB.

MtBike

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Tire age and rubber hardness Empty Re: Tire age and rubber hardness

Post  twin1300 Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 pm

MtBike wrote:It has been said that the c/t has softer rubber. My question is with age. Does a c/t that is say 5 yrs old also have softer rubber than a mc tire?

What was the age of the ct tire that the durometer test was run on, and does the ct get harder with age? How does an aged c/t stand up to a new or 1yr old mc tire?

MikeB.

I am the one who does the testing! I will give you the age of the tire later when I get home! I will do mine this weekend after 2 years of riding and see where it is now, that would be a good test to do!

But tires always get harder with age regardless whether it's a MT or CT! It's the "rubber" that loses it's elasticity! In other words if a MT is harder rubber to start with, it will get harder with age! A car tire will always be softer no matter what when it comes to comparing with a MT. Our racing kart tires get harder with age and we keep new fresher tires for the softer rubber low traction tracks and the older tires for harder high grip tracks! You get too soft you over heat them racing and they get greasy and slippery!

I have done all shapes, ages, and sizes and the CT wins every time by at least 17 to 20 points softer no matter over the MT!

I hope that answers your question.

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum