Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark side tires and wind

+3
smokey2255
twin1300
wolfpack72
7 posters

Go down

Dark side tires and wind Empty Dark side tires and wind

Post  wolfpack72 Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:11 pm

does having the car tires on the bikes help grab the road better on windy days? I'm tired of my wheels getting pushed out from under me on gusty days. pale
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-01-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Dark side tires and wind Empty Re: Dark side tires and wind

Post  twin1300 Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:17 pm

wolfpack72 wrote:does having the car tires on the bikes help grab the road better on windy days? I'm tired of my wheels getting pushed out from under me on gusty days. pale

That's for sure. It makes all riding better.....stopping, twisties, and wet conditions, and windy days. The reason why it works is because the rubber on the car tire is so much softer than any motorcycle tire made which means more grip and you have a larger contact patch by 300% over the M/T and so you have less chance of getting pushed around on gusty days.

..................bobby

ps....some more guys should be on soon to tell you the same thing. I know it hard to believe that a car tire can do what we say....but it can and then some.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfpack72 Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey Twin are you running car tires rear and front or just the rear? I know the VTXC has the narrower tire up front than on the VTXRand S
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:01 pm

wolfpack72 wrote:Hey Twin are you running car tires rear and front or just the rear? I know the VTXC has the narrower tire up front than on the VTXRand S

IT'S ONLY A REAR TIRE MOD. You run your regular motorcycle tires up front. We only did the rear tire because we couldn't get any of them to last. We don't have problems with getting front tires to last, so we don't fix what's not broke.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:58 pm

You will be impressed with the stability with a car tire under your azz. No matter what the conditions are. The only condition I haven't fully tested is ice. I did get into a patch of frost and once the front quit pushing out on me the assend got right in line. Throttle on them just to make sure it was still frosty. IT WAS Laughing Laughing . Love the darkside.

I aint too sure about all that other jazz.... softer tires and larger contact patch.... you know all that stuff. HEHEHE just a little birthday razz Bobby.

Actually I saw the durometer results personally and if you've ever seen or especially followed a darksider you know the patch aspect is spot on.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfpack72 Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm

Happy Birthday Twin! I hope I look that good when i'm your age Wink Thanks for all the help answering my questions
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:27 pm

wolfpack72 wrote:Happy Birthday Twin! I hope I look that good when i'm your age Wink Thanks for all the help answering my questions

Thanks for the birthday wish...... and ask away if you have any other questions. That's what we are here for.

..............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:59 pm

I don't know just how high the wind was for anyone else on the Darkside, but I do know I had a hell of a lot better control in a 45mph sustained gust back in December. Yesterday I hit 32mph sustained gusts from the sides (an hour on my left going, and an hour on my right comming back) and I had little to no problems. I really just wanted to wear the tread evenly on the front tire though. Cool

I still think it's funny though, I was riding with one of those "You can't put a car tire on a motorcycle" type guys Evil or Very Mad and at the end of the trip I had him take a look at my DARKSIDE. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil He honestly couldn't believe that I kept up with him on the twisties, weavels, and wet run down blacktops with no problem.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 am

Seeing is definitely believing. It removes all doubt. It did for me. DS2B
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 am

yep...and you'll lose 25lbs, regrow lost hair and attract all the supermodels. Wink
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 pm

I can vouch for cerooth. We had some pretty gusty winds the other day, and instead of feeling the bike lean, it's as if the bike wanted to act like a car, and the whole bike wanted to move to the side (while staying vertical). The control is a ton better then on a MC tire IMO.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down