Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

+32
Ottoman
Herb1949
f6driver
canibeyou
Mdwannabe
spock
harveysmedlap
redhotrod
cheeewawa
tgraf1800f
Smoken'JOE
Rich
lonwolf55
squirrel1758
zuma
RocketLoopy
dinky
RocketSteve
DJ
Ebony Red VRCCDS055
smokey2255
dsspunkler
vtxds
jnv753
jedishon
arebee
Tater1800
NDAna
VTXRon
twin1300
range rebel
Toasted_311
36 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty Re: Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

Post  twin1300 Sun May 25, 2008 3:07 pm

DJ wrote:Hey everyone, just signed up. Jan 08 I bought a 07 1300 V Star, I've got 4000 miles on it already, and will be looking for a new rear tire soon. I hear that 8 to 10,000 miles is about all can get out of it. Its 110 miles round trip to work, I ride it whenever I can. Gas $3.+ per gallon
Been reading some in the V Star forums about the Darkside. Went for a ride in St. Charles, MO with a group and talk with a guy on a 900 Voyager that was running a car tire, but he did know about the darkside. He only had 2000 miles on it,(looked brand New) and loves it. (Said he has a barn full old MC tires).

DJ Cool

DJ,

Welcome to the darkside site. If you get 10,000 out of a m/c tire, you should get 20,000 and a ton of more of confidence with the greater grip of the car tire. My wife and I rode this weekend on a two day trip. The smoothness of the car tire with the more better cushion of the car tire is another added plus.

Glad to have you sir and make yourself at home.

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty Re: Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

Post  RocketSteve Sun May 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Newbie Steve here from the UK. Rocket 3 owner and riding Dark for 2 years now.

Before I go on, is this the place to give an intro - or should I hit the "New Topic" button?

RocketSteve

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty new guy

Post  dinky Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 am

Forgive me father for I have sinned, it's been a year or so since I joined and never did post. It only took two conversations and I pulled the mt, and went the way of the 165r15 I Love it. I can't get enough of the rides. I have a 05 VTX1300R, I picked it up in 06 after a total (we have big cats here) I have just under 49k on the bike and 20k was in the last 12 months with my ct, living in SOCAL we get more ride time. I checked in this week and I'm already looking for the tread pattern I like on a 205/65 15 great stuff on here and the bikers are cool too.

dinky

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:14 am

dinky wrote:Forgive me father for I have sinned, it's been a year or so since I joined and never did post. It only took two conversations and I pulled the mt, and went the way of the 165r15 I Love it. I can't get enough of the rides. I have a 05 VTX1300R, I picked it up in 06 after a total (we have big cats here) I have just under 49k on the bike and 20k was in the last 12 months with my ct, living in SOCAL we get more ride time. I checked in this week and I'm already looking for the tread pattern I like on a 205/65 15 great stuff on here and the bikers are cool too.

Thank Dinky,

You are forgiven!.......I love the testimony! That's good news and glad you love it! We love our darkside's, that's for sure.

Send us a pic of your darkside, if you think about us again??????.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing When you get ready for the "Wideside" and need advice, just let us know?

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty Newbie!

Post  RocketLoopy Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Hello folks!

Just finding this sight after several weeks of looking for mods, upgrades, toys and gadgets for the Rocket. Found a darkside post on the RO3 sight, (that sight was difficult to use, went through register and log in a half dozen times - gave up). Was interested in the Darkside information.

I couldn't do in on my volusia, looked for years for taller gears or tires with no luck. Had both bikes for a year, sold the volusia to my neighbor - now someone's converted a chunck from an LC1500 (C90) which lowered revs @600 rpms in top gear. Couldn't consider darkside because of spokes and tubes.

I've seen Boss Hoss's for years running car tires - heck - my first moto-cycle was a western auto mini from the 60's my dad got my brother and I to ride just after learning to ride a regular bike! It had square Lawn mower wheels on it, a Briggs &Stratton lawn mower engine and the old exposed expander clutch. We rode that thing all over the resort town we live in. Of course, 30 mph max may not seem much but at 5-9 yrs old - we never thought or worried about the square tires going around corners, more worried about running out of gas. In fact, I never worried about riding the Suzuki RM on the road throughout highschool, (that was stupid).

Sight looks good, read enough to convince me I'm not crazy for wanting to go dark - my delima adds another twist however (here's the crazy). I see many getting the 240-50-16 - which would go perfect on my rocket. BUT - I want taller. I've found a Yoko tire that is 26.7 in diameter and compared to the Metz 880 I've got which is 25.6. Anyone try anything taller? I've got about 3" to spare above the metz880. I just know this 2300cc truck engine can turn lower than 3000 rpm at 80 - easily. Need a tire quick, don't want to plop down another 299 +tax + labor for the same old. Yes, I scrape the pegs several times a day to and from work, love how this beast hugs corners and lets me throw her around like a rag doll. Did the tail of the dragon on the suzuki after I lowered it 3 inches... love that volusia too.

Sorry about the lengthy hello - just got a million ideas of how to mod this thing...but before tossing out the engineered for the wierd - I want to see what others have to say (about taller car tires, really want to go over 30" in diameter). That would leave me just over an inch of very spare room. I'm all ears!
RocketLoopy
RocketLoopy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:10 am

Loopy
Before you go with a 30 inch tire you need to check the spacing with the shock compressed all the way. I would hate for you to be thrown over into a nice tight twistie dragging your pegs and for your shocks to compress and rub your tire or worse. Once you get that measurement ...... by all means fill in the gap. Just measure you swingarm up inside where all that extra rubber is going to make sure you have clearance there too.

Good luck
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  zuma Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Howdy...my first post. Interesting group. So far I gather that Darkside is about replacing the moto tire with a car tire. Am I correct? Is the benefit, besides looking cool, that it lasts longer? Remember, I'm new here and will probably ask questions, but will try not to be pesky about it.
zuma Smile

zuma

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm

zuma wrote:Howdy...my first post. Interesting group. So far I gather that Darkside is about replacing the moto tire with a car tire. Am I correct? Is the benefit, besides looking cool, that it lasts longer? Remember, I'm new here and will probably ask questions, but will try not to be pesky about it.
zuma Smile

Welcome Zuma and glad to have you. Ask all you want and make yourself at home. This link will answer a lot of your questions if you have not read it already.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-questionwhy-a-car-tire-t396.htm

It's not about replacing the motorcycle tire, but to give you options to longer life, better traction, and smoother ride. Now, for some of us that have been on the darkside for over 3 years. It has replace the MC tire on the rear for some of us.... Very Happy Most of us got here by asking what the best tire because I can only get 6-9,000 out of a MC tire and have to buy 2 or 3 a year. Well there was only better or worse tires and no great tires. So Daniel Meyer and "Life is a Road" introduced us to the possiblity that there was another option and it was a car tire... Shocked Snap!, you got to be kidding me, well he wasn't and here we are.

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty goodyear triple tread

Post  squirrel1758 Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi All, I just joined, just came in from the garage. I mounted the goodyear assurance 205/60/16. One question i have is any mod's to get the tire back in the fender? Would like to know as i'm putting a 1300 final in also. I only want to do it once. My bike is a 1800 R

squirrel1758

Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty new at 53

Post  lonwolf55 Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:20 pm

hey ya'll,
thought i would say hi an give you a little back ground. started riding on mini bikes a long time ago progressed to a used honda 50 an got a license. then i got my first new bike a brand spankin new honda 70. a few years later i bought a 300 cc honda dream, then a new honda 450. finally got a license for a car so i sold my bike an got a 66 ford mustang. loved the car but missed the bike so i bought a new harley sportster in mid seventys. worked on it more than i rode it so i sold it in 1978 an got a new honda 750. ( i still got shirts with that dang oil stripe across the back of the left shoulder from the chain oiler from that blamed harley) rode the 750 for 4 years an then got married again so of course i sold the bike. three kids an 2 x wives an a soon to be x wife later that ol urge to feel the wind again hit me like the proverbial brick. i studied for months an finally decided on the honda 1300. after serveral weeks of adds an trips to bike shops i came across a black 2004 1300c. once i set in the saddleman seat it was sold. this is in november 2007. i rode it every decent day i got. the weather was about to change to warm an i was one happy camper. may 23 about a hour before i got off from work i managed to get my right leg caught between a lift truck an a conveyor line. the good news is i finally got to ride in a helicopter the bad news i put 80 plus stitches in my leg an crushed the peroneal nerve. needless to say my number one diversion has been getting the leg in shape to see if i can operate the brake or if i will have to modify the brake or perish the thought think about a 3 wheeler. still not sure but i do know that the only thing i didn't like about the vtx was how squirrely it felt on the half worn out dunlop tires. i found this site looking for solutions. a oldvfriend of mine was a old harley rider an he had put the bug in my ear about car tires(found out real quick not to ask a dealer about this) found some riders that had done this for years so i started researching it(besides what else can ya do with a busted leg) i was looking for something that was more stable than a motorcycle tire so here i am warts an all. educate me guys i don't need to go down if i don't have ta my doc would suit me.
lonwolf55
lonwolf55

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Lonwolf
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on a nice ride. Sorry to hear about the leg.... that has to suck.
Any questions you have just throw them out there and we will see what we can do to help. What part on TN are you from. We have members on each end of the state.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 pm

Hello every one
I just found your site.. love it allready ..just need to learn how to navigate the pages..
I thought about car tires and heard a little about them but as you know it is taboo.. and nobody realy seemed to car or just took the easy way out ...no no you cant do that....it is not safe...thay dont fit...any way ...I want to know just how do I find out what fits and what doesn't...is it only for tubeless tires or can I put on tubes as some of my bikes are older and need tubes because of the type of spoked rims....( exampale.250 nighthawk ) ...is there any compalled info on what has been used on what bike or will I have to just do the trial and error thing...I only know that the newer tubeless rims should be ok ..
Thanks for listening, hope to hear from some one soon...
Rich

Rich

Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm

My ride is a VTX 1800 R/S with 43,500 miles and tired of putting tires on every 10,000.
Just joined and wanted to say "Hi". Been wanting a CT for awhile now and found a place to put WWW on both sides. Probably this up coming year.
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 am

Rich wrote:Hello every one
I just found your site.. love it allready ..just need to learn how to navigate the pages..
I thought about car tires and heard a little about them but as you know it is taboo.. and nobody realy seemed to car or just took the easy way out ...no no you cant do that....it is not safe...thay dont fit...any way ...I want to know just how do I find out what fits and what doesn't...is it only for tubeless tires or can I put on tubes as some of my bikes are older and need tubes because of the type of spoked rims....( exampale.250 nighthawk ) ...is there any compalled info on what has been used on what bike or will I have to just do the trial and error thing...I only know that the newer tubeless rims should be ok ..
Thanks for listening, hope to hear from some one soon...
Rich

Rich, Welcome to our site and glad to have you sir!

Check out this link....
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-questionwhy-a-car-tire-t396.htm

Now we have guys who run their tires tubeless and other that don't! Some guys take spoke rims and seal them and then run tubeless! So, you can go either way!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:39 am

Smoken'JOE wrote:My ride is a VTX 1800 R/S with 43,500 miles and tired of putting tires on every 10,000.
Just joined and wanted to say "Hi". Been wanting a CT for awhile now and found a place to put WWW on both sides. Probably this up coming year.

Well Smoken'JOE.....you have come to the right place! Get educated to the darkside and come on over! You will love it! You 1800 guys have a lot of options for tires, way more than the 1300's have! Good luck with your choice!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:47 pm

twin1300 wrote:
Smoken'JOE wrote:My ride is a VTX 1800 R/S with 43,500 miles and tired of putting tires on every 10,000.

Well Smoken'JOE.....you have come to the right place! Get educated to the darkside and come on over! You will love it! You 1800 guys have a lot of options for tires, way more than the 1300's have! Good luck with your choice!

....................bobby

I have the same problems also. 15" rear tire with spokes.

I PMed you also. Not getting replies to posts yet. Is there an address I need to put in my contacts?
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 pm

PM sent
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  tgraf1800f Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 pm

First of all thanks for the help getting logged in Joe.
About me? Well just got my first street bike on Sept. 6th. (2005 VTX1800F). I started out looking at Honda Spirit 750 then VTX 1300C and planned to purchase an '08 model. Stopped by the Honda dealer one day and my sales guy asked if I wanted to look at an 1800 in the back they got on trade-in. With only 3200 miles and perfect condition I couldn't pass it up. Heck of a first bike. I commute 150 mi. per day and ride nearly every day. Less lately as it's been colder, wetter and my front tire is about gone. Now have over 9K on my baby.
Married with three kids (13, 14 & 19).
Grew up in WV but have lived in SC for the past 19 years. Love my mountains and will be back there again someday. Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are always free)
Wanted to join this board to get more info about the darkside.

tgraf1800f

Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:49 am

tgraf1800f wrote:First of all thanks for the help getting logged in Joe.
About me? Well just got my first street bike on Sept. 6th. (2005 VTX1800F). I started out looking at Honda Spirit 750 then VTX 1300C and planned to purchase an '08 model. Stopped by the Honda dealer one day and my sales guy asked if I wanted to look at an 1800 in the back they got on trade-in. With only 3200 miles and perfect condition I couldn't pass it up. Heck of a first bike. I commute 150 mi. per day and ride nearly every day. Less lately as it's been colder, wetter and my front tire is about gone. Now have over 9K on my baby.
Married with three kids (13, 14 & 19).
Grew up in WV but have lived in SC for the past 19 years. Love my mountains and will be back there again someday. Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are always free)
Wanted to join this board to get more info about the darkside.

Let us know if we can help you in any way! Welcome to our site!

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty Reply to new users with zero posts

Post  cheeewawa Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Hello to all,
I am a new user of this website. Sure am glad that I found it. I have been wanting two go to a car for a long time. Just got the nerve to do it. I used a general 195 /65/15 the tire looks really good but there is too much snow to try it out. I live in Massillon Ohio. My bike is an 07 1300 r. I have been a gold wing ridder since 1975. We quit touring so I went back to the 1300 and so far I really like it.
cheeewawa [jim]

cheeewawa

Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:28 pm

cheeewawa wrote:Hello to all,
I am a new user of this website. Sure am glad that I found it. I have been wanting two go to a car for a long time. Just got the nerve to do it. I used a general 195 /65/15 the tire looks really good but there is too much snow to try it out. I live in Massillon Ohio. My bike is an 07 1300 r. I have been a gold wing ridder since 1975. We quit touring so I went back to the 1300 and so far I really like it.
cheeewawa [jim]

Welcome cheewawa to the site and the darkside. Take it easy until you get comfortable with the car tire. It's mostly mental because it's going to stick like glue.

Most of us run the 205 because the 195 makes it so much shorter, so send us pics and complete write when you do get to ride it.

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 2 Empty New guy

Post  redhotrod Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Just found the Dark Side. I'm always interested in what others have to say about how they work on their bikes, how they maintain them and what if any types of problems
you all have encountered. 53 and still love to learn.

I love working on all things mechanical and I'm really interested in putting a car tire on my bike. I've heard the nay sayers, now I want to hear from the pro's who do it and make it happen.

Thanks, redhotrod

redhotrod

Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Welcome to the site. You can do a search for any thing you want to know about. If that doesn't help, there is no such thing as a stupid question is a good thread to start with.
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-questionwhy-a-car-tire-t396.htm?highlight=stupid

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  harveysmedlap Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Harveysmedlap here, Found out about this site from the gL1800riders board. Not much of a talker, more of a lurker. Learn more that way sometimes and don't make an arse of myself. Ride an 04 gl1800 with a Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar.(wifes ride) Riding on the tripple darkside. We like to travel and ride as much as we can. 19,200mi last year before I was rearended. Well that's about it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare ship for Ludicrous speed-----------------------------Dark Helmit

Harvey
Firestone Firehawk 195-55-16
Battlax 140-70-18
Champion 155-80-13
harveysmedlap
harveysmedlap

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:36 pm

redhotrod wrote:Just found the Dark Side. I'm always interested in what others have to say about how they work on their bikes, how they maintain them and what if any types of problems
you all have encountered. 53 and still love to learn.

I love working on all things mechanical and I'm really interested in putting a car tire on my bike. I've heard the nay sayers, now I want to hear from the pro's who do it and make it happen.

Thanks, redhotrod

redhotrod....Welcome to the site. Thanks for the intro! What kind of bike do you currently ride?

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next