Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

+32
Ottoman
Herb1949
f6driver
canibeyou
Mdwannabe
spock
harveysmedlap
redhotrod
cheeewawa
tgraf1800f
Smoken'JOE
Rich
lonwolf55
squirrel1758
zuma
RocketLoopy
dinky
RocketSteve
DJ
Ebony Red VRCCDS055
smokey2255
dsspunkler
vtxds
jnv753
jedishon
arebee
Tater1800
NDAna
VTXRon
twin1300
range rebel
Toasted_311
36 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty Re: Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm

harveysmedlap wrote:Harveysmedlap here, Found out about this site from the gL1800riders board. Not much of a talker, more of a lurker. Learn more that way sometimes and don't make an arse of myself. Ride an 04 gl1800 with a Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar.(wifes ride) Riding on the tripple darkside. We like to travel and ride as much as we can. 19,200mi last year before I was rearended. Well that's about it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare ship for Ludicrous speed-----------------------------Dark Helmit

Harvey
Firestone Firehawk 195-55-16
Battlax 140-70-18
Champion 155-80-13

Awesome......sorry about the rearend. Happened to me two years ago! I know how you feel!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty Vulcans Thanks for checking with us new guys!

Post  spock Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I have a 2000 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI. The rear wheel is 3.5"W. I bought a Nomad 1600 swing arm and wheel to instal a CT. The 1600 wheel is 4.5"W. I am looking at tires now. I think I will go with a Goodyear, Assurance Tripple Tread, 205 60R 16, or a Dunlop, SP 5000, Symetrical, 195 60R 16. Any good advice appreciated. I was really interested in Toyo Vanco 6 185 75R 16, but don
t know if the patern and side wall is right for Motor cycle. Hope to canverse with y'all in this forum.
Spock

spock

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty Re: Email from Forum....New guys and non posters

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:35 pm

spock wrote:I have a 2000 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI. The rear wheel is 3.5"W. I bought a Nomad 1600 swing arm and wheel to instal a CT. The 1600 wheel is 4.5"W. I am looking at tires now. I think I will go with a Goodyear, Assurance Tripple Tread, 205 60R 16, or a Dunlop, SP 5000, Symetrical, 195 60R 16. Any good advice appreciated. I was really interested in Toyo Vanco 6 185 75R 16, but don
t know if the patern and side wall is right for Motor cycle. Hope to canverse with y'all in this forum.
Spock

Spock,

Welcome to our site sir and definitely make your self at home! Try to post this data in your section so you can get more response to your question. We try not answer questions we have little experience with when it comes to brands of bikes.

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mdwannabe Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Just signed up; great to be able to talk to all dark siders.
Have a 2001 "Very Yellow" GL1800.
In the process of ordering a Kumo for the rear (195-55-16), and a Michelin Macadam M50 (130-80-V18) for the front.
I will post again when both arrive and are mounted.
Until then I will just be hanging around in the background. Very Happy
Mdwannabe
Mdwannabe

Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:24 am

Mdwannabe wrote:Just signed up; great to be able to talk to all dark siders.
Have a 2001 "Very Yellow" GL1800.
In the process of ordering a Kumo for the rear (195-55-16), and a Michelin Macadam M50 (130-80-V18) for the front.
I will post again when both arrive and are mounted.
Until then I will just be hanging around in the background. Very Happy

Awesome and Welcome to our site! Let us know when you do the dirty!..... Cool Very Happy

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  canibeyou Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm

just signed up. saw this thread, knew i had to reply. i have an '04 vtx 1300c. just recieved an 1800 rim today. looking to put a car tire on it and get her under the 1300. i've seen here that a 215 60 16 might be about as big as one can get using that combination. true??? i'm all for wanting to stuff the biggest car tire i can get on that 1800 wheel inside that 1300 fender. whatcha think. i heard from kermit that toasted has that combo. is the 205 60 16 the biggest without dimpling etc???
thanks for any imput. daniel

canibeyou

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:25 pm

canibeyou wrote:just signed up. saw this thread, knew i had to reply. i have an '04 vtx 1300c. just recieved an 1800 rim today. looking to put a car tire on it and get her under the 1300. i've seen here that a 215 60 16 might be about as big as one can get using that combination. true??? i'm all for wanting to stuff the biggest car tire i can get on that 1800 wheel inside that 1300 fender. whatcha think. i heard from kermit that toasted has that combo. is the 205 60 16 the biggest without dimpling etc???
thanks for any imput. daniel

I'm running a HydraEdge 205/65/16 with my 1800c wheel on my 1300...no issues...hope none either when I mount up the N fender for the test ride with it. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  canibeyou Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm

is that particular hydra edge about as big as one would want? or is it just the same size as the original?

canibeyou

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  f6driver Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29 am

I don't know why I never post here, but have been 'Lurking" for a long time.
My name is Richard and I have been riding the CT on a Valkyrie for about 4 years before I traded over to the GoldWing. My 2005 GL1800 is running a Kumho 195/55rf16 and I have beed so satisfied with the fit and flavor of the Kumho that it will take some serious ship to switch me over to anything else.
I've read where folks have been trying the Dunlop 175/60rf16 wintersport tire (which is very hard to come by in my neck of the woods) and I wish them all good, but I am not even interested, that is how happy I am with the Kumho.

I won't bore you with how long I've been on Motorcycles, but,
I ride to work most days year 'round and on weekends whenever I can.
I usually take a two week Road Trip each year riding two-up with my wife aboard.
This year we're planning a 2 night visit to New Orleans, stopping off to ride 5 or 6 days in the Ozark and Ouachita Mountains of Missouri, Arkansas, & Oklahoma on the way to New Orleans.

I'll try and post more here in the future, I like the flavor of your boards alot and do mostly listen, its like my Daddy taught me "You'll learn a lot more from a conversation when you keep your mouth shut".

Richard
Plantation, FL
"Iv'e always been taught to respect my elders, now I don't have anyone left to respect."
2005 Gold Wing GWRRA, VRCC, DS#31, AF&AM

f6driver

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Herb1949 Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi All,
I joined this forum last august. I got the link from the 1400 Intruder forum. I ride a 99 1400 Intruder, it replace my 87 a few years ago.
I was looking into the idea because I ride 70 miles a day, + weekends and trips. The MC T's just keep going up in price and seem to get even less mileage.
I had used a CT many years ago on my 87 'truder when I cut the side wall on the rear tire on a road trip. It was a Sunday and I was a LONG way from home or the nearest bike shop. Bishop, CA and I needed to be in San Diego for work on Monday.
There was a station that had an old SR radial from an early 70's bug. We stuck it on and I rode home.
I rode the bike about 90 miles a day for 4 days before I got the new MC tire. I was NOT pleased with the way the tire worked and was glad to get a MCT back on it. Looking back, I think that the tire being pretty old and the rubber hard was probably a major drawback.
I had tried a new CT once but it wouldn't seat and at about 85 - 90 psi it blew the sidewall out. DO NOT hit a tire with 85 + psi in it with a 5 lb single jack hammer. The chunk of rubber that hit me in the chin hurt like hell.
After reading about the darkside on the intruder site and then here, I was pretty well convinced to use a CT at the next tire change.
During December I was out in east county visiting a friend and the back tire was flat when we came out. Guess I ran over something on the way into his place (he lives 2 miles down a gravel road) and it had a slit in the groove just off center. No way to fix it. (I did the tubeless conversion a couple of tire replacements before)
He had a used 185X65 that he had for his Saturn and we decided to put it on.
Dang thing would NOT seat. A couple of brews and a lot of sweat and swearing later, he hit on the idea of using a veggie peeler to shave a little of the sharp edge of the bead off. After the removal of about 1/16th of an inch right on the very corner, a liberal aplication of Armor All on the bead and rim, the thing finally seated. Only took 70 psi.
I now have over 5,000 miles on it and even though it was not new to start with, it is still in great shape and works well.
There is a little difference in the handling, especially at low speeds. The 1400 intruder has a tendancy to fall into turns at parking lot speeds but it is much less with this tire.
At higher speeds I do notice that I have to put a little more effort to turn it and keep the pressure on the bars or it will sit up and straighten out.
I can tell that it is smaller than the stock tire, the rpms are enough higher that it is noticible.
I am sold on the darkside. When I wear this one out I will be putting the 195 on.
OBTW, I bought a new stock size MC tire, in case I didn't like the CT. It is sitting in the bike shed as an emergency spare.

Herb1949

Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 am

Well congrats on your darkside no matter how you got here! You are welcome and thanks for the story!

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty New Guy

Post  Ottoman Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Had someone tell me about running a car tire on his motorcycle several years ago. I thought the guy was nuts. Well, after reading what all of you have had to say about them, I,ve gone nuts too. Ordered the dynabeads today and will begin the search tomorrow for someone to install a Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16. Does anyone from the B,ham, Al. area know of someone who will do it? Mentioned it to a dealer the other day and he began to tell me why I should not do it. I told him about you guys, even wrote down your website. I will definitely show him my $130 Michelin, hopefully soon. Thanks for all the advice. Tightwads like me are always trying to save a buck.

Ottoman

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 15, 2009 8:39 am

Ottoman wrote:Had someone tell me about running a car tire on his motorcycle several years ago. I thought the guy was nuts. Well, after reading what all of you have had to say about them, I,ve gone nuts too. Ordered the dynabeads today and will begin the search tomorrow for someone to install a Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16. Does anyone from the B,ham, Al. area know of someone who will do it? Mentioned it to a dealer the other day and he began to tell me why I should not do it. I told him about you guys, even wrote down your website. I will definitely show him my $130 Michelin, hopefully soon. Thanks for all the advice. Tightwads like me are always trying to save a buck.

Congrats on your decision to try the darkside. You are going to love it. Hey! Tell the guys if they really want to save your life from the car tire...how come they don't tell you to sell you motorcycle and buy an SUV to be real safe in life..... Laughing Laughing

Maybe someone will come on and give you advice for Alabama on someone mounting your tire. Here's a hint! Take the tire off and take it too someone and tell them it's for a drag bike you are building and you will pay cash and you don't want a receipt. Then come back and put it on and go riding!

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheeladdict Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Hey there everyone, just joined up a few days ago. I'm not much for chatting on the web, but I'm willing to help anyone out with whatever info I may have. Converted to a ct on my 06 meanstreak this spring, found out there is not much info about the meanstreak and a ct. Take care.

2wheeladdict

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty New to this site

Post  ssgrj Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi there i am new to this site. i was linked here from the vtxoa site. I have a stock vtx1800r. And i find the topic of running a car tire on it very innteresting. Especialy the cost savings. I got my bike as a new left over in 2005 it is a 2005vtx1800r. The stock tire i got on it only lasted 2800 miles due to cupping on both front and back tires. I ran the tires at honda's recomended pressure. Which i found out is not for long life.And the new replacments where stock and the back tire was 295 bucks if i remember right. So i will be reading a lot of posts on this subject and asking a few questions before replaceing it. I hopoe you will all bear with me as i am a "FNG" on this subject. Thanks Rich ssgrj[b]
ssgrj
ssgrj

Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 am

Welcome 2wheeladdict and ssgrj to our site...make yourselves at home! Thanks for the intro's.

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty just a quick g'day

Post  docbiggles Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:39 am

Hi guys,

Doc here, stumbled across this site whilst doing some research into crossing over to the Darkside for my M109R. Bit dissapointed in the lack of info around for the M109R and "Darksiding" so hopefully we'll be able to fix that issue. Fed up with poor tyre life and high cost of M/C tyres -aren't we all.

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-06-17

http://www.docbiggles.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:25 am

docbiggles wrote:Hi guys,

Doc here, stumbled across this site whilst doing some research into crossing over to the Darkside for my M109R. Bit dissapointed in the lack of info around for the M109R and "Darksiding" so hopefully we'll be able to fix that issue. Fed up with poor tyre life and high cost of M/C tyres -aren't we all.

Cheers

Doc.

Welcome Doc to our site...yes, not much along the way of 109's, but....here's the good side! Someone has to go first! That's what cool about this site! If you need any help decided on your first tire since it appears you will be going first of the 109's, just let us know....we can help you? I was the first to do a 1300 about 4 years ago that started most of the members here and lead to a great many friendships! It's scary, but you can do it!

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  docbiggles Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Cheers Bobby, thanks for the welcome mate. Just deciding on what tyre to go with. We don't have as much a variety as you guys do over there. Be assured though that when I have all of the info together I will post the relevant info for all 109'ers.

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-06-17

http://www.docbiggles.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Email from Forum....New guys and non posters - Page 3 Empty New Guys

Post  allber Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Learning a lot from you guys and will surely be asking questions when rear tire replacement time comes along. Interestingly, I asked 2 motorcycle "professionals" what they thought about running a CT and both were 100% opposed. Of course, both sell M/C tires...
Al. B
'98 Valkyrie

allber

Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:36 pm

docbiggles wrote:Cheers Bobby, thanks for the welcome mate. Just deciding on what tyre to go with. We don't have as much a variety as you guys do over there. Be assured though that when I have all of the info together I will post the relevant info for all 109'ers.

Cheers

Doc.

Doc, You are welcome mate! Please keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask us any advice!

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:39 pm

allber wrote:Learning a lot from you guys and will surely be asking questions when rear tire replacement time comes along. Interestingly, I asked 2 motorcycle "professionals" what they thought about running a CT and both were 100% opposed. Of course, both sell M/C tires...
Al. B
'98 Valkyrie

Alber, Welcome to our site and go for it!

Bwwhahahahaha Yes, and the Valk's where the first bikes to every be darksided with Daniel Meyer (our hero!!!)

That's what I get all the time. Heck I rode with some guys for hours and when they found out I was riding a car tire, even though I was out riding them or keeping up with them the whole trip. They informed me that the car tire doesn't work........ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3