Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ordered a C/t

+3
linuxbren
jedishon
89centHugo
7 posters

Go down

Ordered a C/t Empty Ordered a C/t

Post  89centHugo Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 pm

So Ordered a kumho powerstar 165-80-15 for my shadow Vt600, i am going to keep the tube until it starts snowing here. Then i am thinking of sealing the rim.

I called Walmart to see if they could mount my tire and they said my rim won't fit on there machine, so a co-worker is going to mount it for me, (except he thinks of crazy of course).

But just in case it doesn't work out with my co-worker, what places have you guys had luck with, getting them to mount the tire?

Thanks,

Dan

89centHugo

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Ordered a C/t Empty Re: Ordered a C/t

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Local one man shops...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  linuxbren Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

jedishon wrote:Local one man shops...

+1
linuxbren
linuxbren

Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Zman Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 pm

I am getting mine mounted at a Honda, Suzuki, Triumph dealer in Decatur, IL World of PowerSports. They have some sort of waiver that you sign when they mount it. $31.50 if the wheel is off the bike. Pretty cheap when you consider I spent an evening and a morning and still never got it mounted. They are about 50 miles from me but the nearest shop that had a tube for my bike. Can you believe the local Honda Kawaski Yamaha dealer doesn't stock 15 inch tubes!!!!!!!!!!!! There are only about 10 different models over the last 20 years that need a 15 inch tube and that is just Hondas.

Zman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 am

Zman, if you dont get it done there, I have a guy noth west of Peopia. Probably a little over an hour from you...$10.00 if you have the wheel off the bike. Plus $10.00 if you want it balanced.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  89centHugo Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Well my c/t came in on friday and I took it with me to work to have a co-worker mount it for me, so tonight when i get home, i am going to try and balance it myself.
Using the method I read some where on this forum. Using two jack stands....etc

Dan

89centHugo

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:01 pm

89centHugo wrote:Well my c/t came in on friday and I took it with me to work to have a co-worker mount it for me, so tonight when i get home, i am going to try and balance it myself.
Using the method I read some where on this forum. Using two jack stands....etc

Dan

Good luck Hugo....tell us how it comes out???.....Very Happy

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm going to balance mine with Dynabeads as soon as I get back home.

BTW-I ended up taking my truck to Florida since all the storms were out in the Atlantic and the predictions at the time I was to leave had them hitting the E. Coast. I didn't want to be caught on my bike for five days in pouring down rain. I even decided to take the Northern route (I-20 over vs. I-10) to avoid some bad weather.

I'm ticked now ... it has be absolutely beautiful weather the whole time I have been here, and with the exception of a 30 min. shower in Alabama on the way here, I had great weather all the way. Sad I never thought I would be mad at nice weather, but I am actually hoping that a toad floater will come along for the next couple of days just so I feel good about not bringing my bike.

So now I have to plan another trip out this way so I can go ride the Dragon Tail. I'm in Fernandina Beach, FL and every time I see a bike I get mad all over again. tongue Not really, but I sure wish I would have just sucked it up and ridden anyway. Oh well! There is always next time.
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Ordered a C/t Empty Kuhmo tire

Post  Danodemotoman Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:39 am

89cent hugo;

The tire you ordered is the widest tire I can run on my Kaw Concours. The other two brands in this size I know of I have tried, the Nankang and the Federal. The Nankang has issues with a excessive flexing of the sidewall and was not a quality tire imo as it had vibration even after balancing. Running on the centerstand you can see the wobble in the tread right and left.The Federal SS657 I am very pleased with. Very smooth ride and traction is great.
Let us know what you think of the Kuhmo after some miles.
I do my tires on a manual HF machine for the last 6 years and with the static balancing (using the jackstands) as you mentioned) it works well.
I have been running 35-40 psi but read others are running 40 psi plus. I have some wobble at triple didgits tho rearely ride theer except for 'teasting mode' so will try 45 psi next ride.
Dano

89centHugo wrote:So Ordered a kumho powerstar 165-80-15 for my shadow Vt600, i am going to keep the tube until it starts snowing here. Then i am thinking of sealing the rim.

I called Walmart to see if they could mount my tire and they said my rim won't fit on there machine, so a co-worker is going to mount it for me, (except he thinks of crazy of course).

But just in case it doesn't work out with my co-worker, what places have you guys had luck with, getting them to mount the tire?

Thanks,

Dan

Danodemotoman

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:14 am

89centHugo, Zman.....What are the results......Nosey people want to know, did you get it mounted....hows it handle for you.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  89centHugo Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:12 am

Well its been very interesting; okay not interesting but irritating! Evil or Very Mad
No luck, parts of the tire doesnt want to seat, I have cleaned, lubed. Tried a crazy amount of PSI,
i took it to Walmart and the guy tried, but said his machine only goes up to 55psi, and so
a co-worker took home my tire last night, to try and get it to seat. He said he had it up to 110psi with no luck, he was afraid to go any higher.

So after being unable to ride my bike for a week now, i ordered a m/c tire for 70 bucks, and i figure i will keep the c/t and next time i need a new tire, i will try the c/t.

Dan

89centHugo

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:18 am

Sorry to hear that Dan,ou might have to seal the rim and go tubeless. Only been a couple people that have got a tube to seat so far and I believe they were on 1300's.....

If you are going to try again, dont be afraid to ask questions....
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Zman Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:11 pm

My outcome was not much different than 89centHugo's. Crying or Very sad See my thread titled Never ever give up. The Honda dealer in Decatur could not get the tire to seat. I took it to the small tire dealer that I bought the tire from. He pumped it to 120 + psi with no luck. I took it home, pumped it to 100 psi mounted it, ran it wide open in 5th gear. Still no luck. I was about to grind the lip on the inside of the wheel and thought twice about that. So I took a pairing knife and trimmed 1/8 inch of rubber off the inside of the tire. One side seated at 70 psi and the other around 80 psi.

Now the rest of the story!!!! I like the CT, good grip & comfortable ride. Unfortunately, I was informed by my wife that neither her or our daughter will be getting on the bike with that tire on there. A little background on the wife: she was on a jury for a civil case involving the failure of a rear motorcycle tire resulting in the perment disability of an individual. My wife knows more about how a motorcycle tire is made, what failures they can have, what makes them defective, etc..... than any woman should. Long story short, I am taking the CT off Sat am and mounting a new MT. The wife's peace of mind and the riding time with her and my daughter are way more important than the cost of a couple of tires. I may try a CT later, but right now, I will stick with the MT.

Zman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Zman I understand why......You are still welcome here in my opinion. You went to extreme measures to get it mounted, and your ordeal could be valuable info for someone else that is trying to mount theirs. Stick around and join in when you can.....
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down