Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying

+3
horseman8m
jedishon
Steve-O
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying Empty Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying

Post  Steve-O Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am

David and I spend about 4 hours trying to get the Falken 205 to bead on my bike. Here is what we tried:

1) usual vegetable oil and high pressure. One side beaded at 145 psi, but not the other side.
2) Silicone spray. Lot's of it.
3) High revs on teh jack. Got it mid throttle in 5th gear. This is borderline dangerous by the way. Teh tire is way out of ballance up on a jack with the wheel spinning very fast.
4) Took it for a ride up to 70 mph for about 10 miles. Once again, this is on the dangerous side. The tire is way out of balance. It' bounces about 3". Felt like I was riding a horse at a cantor. Now I know what an out of balance tire feels like.

Tried about 10 times to get it to bead up, but never could get the second side. Ended up going and buying a Douglas 205. Went right on. I did like the tread pattern of the Falken much better, but it wasn't meant to be.

And there is a free new falken in Daves garage if anyone wants to drive to Ennis to get it....just don't ask Dave to help you put it on. Very Happy
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying Empty Re: Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 am

Dont feel lonely... a lot of people have had trouble with the falken..... most like yourself have given up....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying Empty Re: Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying

Post  horseman8m Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:10 pm

I like the Nexen , the tire shop that told me about them said that they are better quality then the Falken tires and mount a lot easier even on car rims, they notice a deference . mine was under $50.00 and seated on my vtx rim at about 75-80 psi . Douglas tires a really good and you will like the grip wet or dry.
Welcome to the Darkside and I am sorry that you had trouble with fitting that Falken tire.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm

I've been dark for awhile. Now I'm wideside-darkside.

(This was my second try on the same tire. Gave it a good try. Can't recommend this tire, no matter how good the tread pattern is.)

Thanks for the tip on the Nexin. Maybe in 30k miles, I'll try it. Smile
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 am

Yes......the Douglas is a good tire also. Love mine! Glad you got the wideside on! How you like it?

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am

I knew the Falken was a gamble when I bought it.

The Douglas was fine riding home from Ennis. Haven't put it through it's paces yet. I "know" there is a different tire on. Not as much difference going from Kumho to Douglas (narrow to wide) as going from a MC tire to a CT. But noticable.

I locked up the back brakes at 35+ and the bike tracked straight.
Did some gentle swerves and such. The bike leans and countersteers just fine.

I think I'm good for the next 30k miles! Very Happy
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I read somewhere that one person got the Falken to seat. Do we have any more info on that? How they did it?

I was looking at the grabber a little, but the 205/70/15 would raise me another half inch. I like where I'm at just fine now.

Probably just end up with the Bravarius. The guy at discount tire told that he would use the bravarius if it was him. He finally asked enough times what my project was, and I told him the tire was going on a motorcycle. He actually said that it was an interesting idea. He wasn't against it ... I think it was the first time he had heard of it.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 pm

Someone had it installed by a shop if I recall. We gave it the old college try. Barum will be my next tire, but will go with a narrower size. I like wide looks, but like the handling of the narrower tire. Barum makes a 195 and 185. Will probably go with a 185.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:00 am

My last MC tire was a 200. The CT is a 215. I did notice a few little diffs but nothing way out. The CT is the way to go. Love it. Wont ever buy a MC tire again. But that depends on the bike too granted, but I dont think you will ever see me on anything but a cruzer anyway.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Falken didn't bead......Gave up trying Empty Car tires

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 pm

I just bought a 165-80-15, im going with a tube.My question is. How hard is it to balance and will the bead hold? A friend of mine use to have a tire shop and is going to put it on for me. But prior to that I really need to know what all it takes, cause Im getting ready to ride 2500 miles. Thanks Roger
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 am

TX_DISABLED_VET wrote:I just bought a 165-80-15, im going with a tube.My question is. How hard is it to balance and will the bead hold? A friend of mine use to have a tire shop and is going to put it on for me. But prior to that I really need to know what all it takes, cause Im getting ready to ride 2500 miles. Thanks Roger

Roger,

I road the 165/80/15 for my first tire for a 1 1/2 years on the darkside....it took a machine to break the bead loose and not just one break down to get the tire off, he had to go all the way around to finally finish the bead to be able to take the tire off. Secondly, use dyna beads and go ride!

Don't forget the cooking oil trick, makes mounting a tire a lot easier! Normal soap is NOT slippery enough! JMO!

Good luck and let us know how it comes out?

...............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 am

TX_DISABLED_VET wrote:I just bought a 165-80-15, im going with a tube.My question is. How hard is it to balance and will the bead hold? A friend of mine use to have a tire shop and is going to put it on for me. But prior to that I really need to know what all it takes, cause Im getting ready to ride 2500 miles. Thanks Roger

Not hard to balance at all. When we first mount a ct, we do a spin balance with stick on weights which works great for the first 500 miles. We do this to make sure the inside of the tire is dry before putting in Dynabeads. But YOU are going with a tube, so you can install the dynabeads immediatly. Highly recommend this.

As to installing, I'm finding a lot of honda dealers that will do this for you. Most mom and pop shops will too. Just pull off the back tire and take it in with the new tire. Tell them it's for a side car, drag racing, etc. Your 165 ought to go on very easily.

Good luck.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 am

Im new to all this, so Im kinda lost in balancing and dynabeads. Is the dynabeads what balances the tire. If so could you break it down for a old county man lol. I have a 2002 750 ACE with spoke rims. Any information you can give me will help me GREAT. Thanks Roger
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

TX_DISABLED_VET wrote:Im new to all this, so Im kinda lost in balancing and dynabeads. Is the dynabeads what balances the tire. If so could you break it down for a old county man lol. I have a 2002 750 ACE with spoke rims. Any information you can give me will help me GREAT. Thanks Roger

Try this...seeing is believing....... Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 am

Ok, that was awesome. My question now is....Are dynabeads required to balance the tire...How much do you put in the tire...and last where can you purchase them? Thanks again
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:42 am

TX_DISABLED_VET wrote:Ok, that was awesome. My question now is....Are dynabeads required to balance the tire...How much do you put in the tire...and last where can you purchase them? Thanks again

No they are not required, just look better than lead weights on the spokes or the sticky weights and the dyna beads are re-usable.

Go to http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ They have a contact to buy from and great pics on "how to do it on a motorcycle".

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Twin you forgot to tell him how much to add. I have 3 oz in my back tire. Gets the job done anAnd very well.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

What if I allready have the lead weights on the spokes..DO i remove them if I place the beads in? Also If Im running a tube when and where do I put the beads? Thanks again All
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Take the weights off the spokes. Put 3 oz of dyna beads in the tube through the valve stem after the tire has been seated on the rim. Take the valve stem out, install the beads and then install the valve stem and reinflate the tire to your desired psi. Easy as 1,2,3.

Let us know how it goes.

Peace.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Badmoon wrote:Take the weights off the spokes. Put 3 oz of dyna beads in the tube through the valve stem after the tire has been seated on the rim. Take the valve stem out, install the beads and then install the valve stem and reinflate the tire to your desired psi. Easy as 1,2,3.

Let us know how it goes.

Peace.

+1...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Ok thanks...I saw the video on dynabeads, does it wobble every time you take off until the beads are balanced or what. Sorry for being a pest,,Just want to do it right..Thanks Roger
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I have dynabeads in my front tire and have never noticed a wobble. A friend has them in his rear, and says he never feels a wobble.

I think by the time you get to a speak where a wobble could happen, the beads are doing their job. I don't know anyone who has felt low speed wobbles with these things (even though theoretically it seems like there should be). Come on in ... the water's fine!!! Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Normally you will not feel a wobble until you get to 40 miles plus. Yes by the time you would feel a wobble the beads are in place and doing their job. I had asked the same questions too. Best thing I had done. I am going to order more or do Twins Air soft balls addition. Have not gotten a update on them just yet. I do have the beads now. Initially I had the lead weight stuck on the rim as I did not get the beads in time and paid to have the wheel balanced. I ran it about 500 miles give or take and I started to feel a wobble at about 85 mph. When I got home I popped the weight off and added the beads. Shazam no more wobble.

Peace.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks for all the help, Im sold on the dynabeads and going to order some..Ride safe all.
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  TX_DISABLED_VET Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:16 am

Opps back again,,Last question,,,Do I have to that filter valve core or can I use the valve on my bike..Thanks again.
TX_DISABLED_VET
TX_DISABLED_VET

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next