Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK MY! What a Change!

3 posters

Go down

OK MY! What a Change! Empty OK MY! What a Change!

Post  BigDarkster Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Well, No one seemed to have any idea about what an 1800 final drive might be worth, so I bought it anyway!
Was $175.00 to much for a final drive from a 2005 1800c? There wasn't a mark on it anywhere, and the gear lube still left in it was clean and clear.

First impression - WOW! Had I only known!
BIG Difference! Is the speedo off - Oh Yeah, you could say that. On the highway in 5th.. Speedo reading exactly 90mph, my GPS disagrees - by a full 20mph, it reads exactly 70mph. (1300 FD was only off by 5mph at that speed)
Absolutely No Problem getting around anything on the road, just crank the throttle and You're Off!
Will it pull the front tire off the ground now, Yup! sure will. Very Happy

Interesting to say the least. Should be great as in in town commuter and for short runs, say under 200 miles, but I'll probably put the original back on for any trips longer than that.

BigD
BigDarkster
BigDarkster

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

OK MY! What a Change! Empty Re: OK MY! What a Change!

Post  justletmein Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:49 pm

How much RPM difference would you guestimate you've got at 90/70 mph?

justletmein

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarkster Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Good Question, but to be honest - I have no idea what the RPM might really be. Must be time for a tach. Any suggestions on a good one that won't break the bank?
I can tell you that with the 1300 FD I would drop it into 4th or even 3rd and nail it to go around yahoos and others, but with the 1800 FD I don't have to do that! Just crank it on and go!
The bike has No Problem hitting 90+ mph - by the GPS - with plenty of throttle left and I rarely have a desire to go any faster than that.

I did do a 80 mile quickie run this afternoon and really enjoyed that 1800 FD!

BigD
BigDarkster
BigDarkster

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am

My speedo is off by 10% with the 1800fd in. and thats checked with another bike and gps.
The 18 fd is a kick in the a$$. I have taken as much as 1,500 mile trips.
As far as RPMs at 65 you are turning about 2600 rpms with a stock 1300, thats not alot, and thats why I never could understand why everyone wants a 6th gear. With the 1800 fd in the 1300, at 65 you are turning about 2850 rpms, and thats not alot. This isnt very much for a V-twin.

And yes, It will pull the front tire right up, and just put a little weight in the saddle bags and she will come up in 2nd rerally easy, probly will anyway if you have a good clutch, I dont, mine has over 60,000 onj the oem ones.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down