Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No more wobble

+3
twin1300
wayne
jedishon
7 posters

Go down

No more wobble Empty No more wobble

Post  jedishon Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:38 am

Replaced my original dunflop front tire, with 7800 miles on it , with a 150/80/17 ME 880.
My front end wobble is gone...No need to replace the front bearings now, but I will this winter anyway....Thank you Twin for saying I should replace the tire first. Saved me a full day of riding (and the way things work for me, You kept me from using words that shouldn't be used). I will never buy another dunflop tire. And if I ever buy another bike I will have the
stealer change them before I take ownership of the bike.
All I can say is if you are getting front end wobble and still running dunflops, get rid of that
tire.........

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

No more wobble Empty Re: No more wobble

Post  wayne Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 am

Some have changed the tire and had it come back afterwhile, even with the Metz, Sorry.
I would change anyway, you willnot regret it. The best mod I have ever done, yes I did say best ever. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:23 am

+1....... I changed my dunlops out before the even get 5,000 miles on them because they are terrible tires in my opinion. Plus just about any other brand will make your bike handle better than a dunflop!

Glad to hear it Jerry, I knew it wasn't the darkside causing the wobble. The darkside is soooo good it will make all your weak, worn, or inferior area's show up!

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  RedneckRoyalty Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Let us know how it works out. I have heard that the crappy bearing causes the problem w/the tire.

It will be interesting to know if the problem comes back after you put 5 thousand miles or so on the new tire...

RedneckRoyalty

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm

OK I got about 4,000 mile on the new tire before the wobble came back.
I put in the alls balls roller bearings. I dont have the right socket so torque specs go out the window.
I tightened the bearings down as tight as I could with large adjustable pliers, turned the forks back and forth about 30 times, retightened and turned the forks back and forth another 30 times. Loosened it all up and tightened it back to where it took about 3 lbs to pull the the front enough to turn it. Put the handlebars on and went for a ride to work. When I hit 90 going around a car I thought the bike was going to throw me under its front tires. When I got home I checked the bearings again. They had loosened up a little, so I retightened them and went for a ride. Wobble still there. Thought maybe I didn't get them seated enough so I tightened them down as tight as I could and rode it to work the next day that way. Wobble still there. Got home and loosened it up to 2 lbs of pull. Rode to work the next day wobble still there. Got home put the bike on the jack and took it up to 90mph no noticeable wobble in the tire. Loosened up the bearings again. Tightened untill I could lift the front of the bike without the front fender moveing. checked the pull 2.5 lbs on the right as facing the bike and 4 lbs on the left. I assumed the extra un the right was because the brake cable laying on the gas tank. Buttoned it up and rode to work the next day. Wobble still there. At this point Mrs D is getting tired of me working on the bike every night and so am I. Tried once more, tightened it up to 4 lbs of pull on the right. Wobble still there. Must be doing something wrong, and ideas??????? As an added thought I did have the tool to seat the races, and when I took the old ones out the lower race was not seated straight, the right side was 1/16" higher than the left. It is level now.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  meta355 Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:05 am

There are 2 wobbles I have dealt with. One is the 40 mph wobble that happens on decel. The all balls steering head bearing kit and a good front tire fixes that one. The problem I think you're dealing with is the 80-90mph "weave". I have had it since I went to the Darkside. I just keep it under 90. Personally, I think it's because of the speed rating of the tire. The Douglas tire I'm running isnt rated for high speed. I've noticed I can go 90 while its cold for about 5 min or so. Once the tire gets warm, it starts to weave, so I slow it to 80 and I'm ok. I would like to find out if anyone running a higher speed rated tire has the weave. If not, I think I'll do the Foots mod and go with a Goodyear Hydroedge. M/t is not an option. Iv'e replaced the shock bushings, front springs, fork oil, and gone through the whole range of tire pressures.

meta355

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:08 am

I don't have a weave or wobble, and the tire is rated at 130 mph.
horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  tfee3 Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I had a front end wobble when I installed my Metzeler, and I wasn't sure what caused it. Someone said to run 40 lbs in it, but it didn't help. Then, I pumped it up to 42 lbs, and I don't have a wobble anymore. Maybe your tire needs more air?

tfee3

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Put the alls balls in and went for a ride. Got it up to 90 and wobbled all over the place.
Took it all apart. Borrowed a stem nut wrench from the local Kawi dealer. set the pull to 2.5 lbs. dropped the tire pressure to 35 lbs worked perfect. put the windshield and lowers back on and the wobble showed up at 100. Took the lowers off and the wobble showed up just before 80. Re adjusted the windshield to lean as close to the angle of the forks as possible. Reinstalled the lowers to the same angle as the windshield. Wobble shows up about 100 with 35 lbs in the rear tire. If I take the air up to 40 I should be fine for as fast as I want to go.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down