Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wobble?

5 posters

Go down

wobble? Empty wobble?

Post  Dalsip Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 am

Ok newbie here. Went to the darkside last week. Rode my bike to work today,first time that I have really done any distance on the CT. Just riding it around town everything seemed to be great. good traction and braking seemed to be better. But this morning I pulled out to pass a car ,got on it a bit ,running about 80. Seemed to me that I encountered some wobble? Didn't care much for that. I'm running a General Altimax hp 205/65/16 with 40 psi. 3 ozs dynabeads. Do you think that I could adjust the air pressure to stop this or is there something else I should do? Thanks!

Dalsip

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

wobble? Empty Re: wobble?

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 pm

There are a lot of factors at play here. Windage over Shields, bags etc. the 2 most common factors are steering stem bearings and rear shock bushings. You can play with the air pressure also Burr think I would look else where for the real problem.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 am

Same thing on my Concours, but it happens around 100 MPH, so isn't as big a problem. I can control the speed at which this occurs by 20 MPH or so, by changing the air pressure on the CT. The higher the air pressure, the higher the speed at which it occurs.

Steering stem bearing are fine and since it's prone to bad front wheel wobble if the stem bearing are at all loose, I keep that tuned rather well. However, it's got 90,000 miles on it and later this year when it hits 100,000 miles, I'll be going over the entire bike and probably be changing out a lot of bearings, including the steering hear, as a routine maintenance thing. Hopefully this will help.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

the one negative I have discovered with a CT is that they tend to amplify any minute handling problems into larger handling problems, as already mentioned, steering head bearings, shock bushings, maybe loose swingarm bearings, etc.
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am

I put a kumho on my girlfriends Royal Star and am experiencing the same thing at 70-80 mph. This did not occur with the old tire.

I'm going to adjust the tire pressure. that usually fixes it. It could be a number of things, but I'll start with the tire pressure. I'm taking it to Tulsa next week, so it will be a good time to adjust the pressure. It's at 41 now, which is way too high. Going to drop it by 5 lbs increments.

I've had this same tire on other bikes and didn't have this issue. Of course, the Spirit had a hard time getting to 80..... Razz
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down