Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

progressive forks springs/alls balls

3 posters

Go down

progressive forks springs/alls balls Empty progressive forks springs/alls balls

Post  Hudi Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 am

almost done, ready to put back together. some questions. where did you get the special socket for the stem nut? i didnt want to have to order one now because my bike is ripped apart in my gym. need to finish. is there anything else (socket) i can use to torque to spec?

some things that i have learned. while changing the springs, i drained the oil which was really dirty and wasnt much of it. flushed 3x and let drain. use mobil 1 atf. i can see why the front suspension sucks so bad after seeing the oil.

any more tips for the completion of this job? thanks.

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

progressive forks springs/alls balls Empty Re: progressive forks springs/alls balls

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:50 am

No tips....I might be doing the same thing real quick....Do you have a list of parts and part numbers you used, along with where you ordered them from? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Uncle Jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

progressive forks springs/alls balls Empty Re: progressive forks springs/alls balls

Post  wayne Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 am

I cant help you much,Not sure which socket. My bike has never see a torque wrench, I go by feel. Funny thin is I have 3 torque wrench in my tool box .

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

if you are going to do it, do it all. i got the progressive 412 11.5", fork springs and all balls. do it all at once. i ordered everything for HDL and got price match from phatperformance. saved $60. that is about all for the stuff i ordered. i used the directions from the other garage. the hardest part was getting the bottom lower race off. i had to heat it with a torch and use a chisel to work it off. that took about 1/2 hr of prying. i put bottom tree and stem in the freezer and will heat the bottom race and bearing to 220 degrees to attach it. so far so good. the only drawback is the special socket for the stem nut. i would like to make sure it is torqued to spec. maybe i will use channel locks but not sure yet. i am glad that i drained and flushed the front forks. there was barely any oil in there and it was black and mucky. cant wait to test her out.

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down