Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question!

4 posters

Go down

2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question! Empty 2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question!

Post  Autorotate Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Heya guys, I'm new to the Darkside, so new that I've done some research & purchased a tire but I haven't even mounted it yet! I ordered a Dunlop Taxi 75R16 for my 2007 HD FLHX. It showed up and I'm comparing it to my existing MC tire and it is larger in both circumference and width than the stock tire. I purchased it using the guidance I've gotten on here and elsewhere but I want to make sure that I have the correct application before I attempt to mount it and find out otherwise and then I'd be unable to return it. I've ridden a Goldwing that was on the Darkside an was impressed so I hope I am able to make this work. If anyone can give me a solid response to my question I'd appreciate it as I'd rather not have an expensive Dunlop rope swing for my daughter! Thanks guys! -Matt Angel 

Autorotate

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question! Empty Re: 2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question!

Post  justbike Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:45 am

I can tell you from my experience that the tire looks much wider just sitting there than when it is installed on the bike.
If you have researched the forum and others have used that size on your type of bike you should be good to go.
Also if you go to a size comparison calculator you will be able to see the spec differences between your stock tire and the one you purchased.

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question! Empty Re: 2007 HD FLHX - New to the Darkside question!

Post  quadancer Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I llove mine; the only one downside is that it is less in braking ability compared totheAustone or the discontined Comtrac. Nonetheless, it still stops far better than ny
MC tire I've ever run. It's best caveat: no transition feel to it; it just acts like a very sticky MT.
The torture test continues!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Autorotate Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks a lot for the replies - I am getting the tire mounted tomorrow morning, so I'll post back an update after I try it out. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I should get a real good idea of how it performs right off the bat!

Any suggestions on tire pressure?Vader 

Autorotate

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 am

This one runs lower than the others I've run; 34 lbs. has been fantastic, especially scraping the boards at speed, but it did
just as well in the cones, at 18' circles, 8's, keyholes, and intersections. Plus I have 2" over front tubes; I still make the tight turns.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Autorotate Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 am

Okay, I must admit, I'm quite concerned. I'm currently running 30 psi in the tire and the bike handles like shit. (I am also using Ride On in the tire) The bike initially seems to have lost some of its power right out the gate & the handling characteristics on the highway are disappointing to say the least. Above 60 MPH I can feel the instability begin. At above 70 MPH there is a pronounced wobble in the steering. At above 80 MPH the bike became dangerously wobbly and I had to let off the throttle just to keep the greasy side down! Additionally any time I hit any type of bump in the road I can hear something rubbing. I fear this may have become an expensive trial and ultimately an error for me. Gaah 

Autorotate

Back to top Go down

Post  justbike Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Definitely sounds like something is wrong cause you should not be experiencing any of those problems, I'm on my 3rd CT on two different electraglides 2010 and 2012 and never experienced any of that. Maybe someone else who has used that tire can comment here to help you out.

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluetick Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Do you have the ass end lowered by chance? Shorter shocks in the rear? That would take some of your clearance out of the back fender. Try changing the air pressure in the tire.

Bluetick

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Autorotate Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:38 am

Nah, stock rear suspension. That said I've long since taken the tire off the bike. I rode it for about one hundred miles and decided I didn't like it. I still have the tire and would definitely be interested in selling it if anyone wants it!

Autorotate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down