Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2007 FLHT Darkside

+2
ESKIMO
DaMonk47
6 posters

Go down

2007 FLHT Darkside Empty 2007 FLHT Darkside

Post  DaMonk47 Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:55 am

2007 FLH Harley Davidson 42 and change on the clock.
Mostly Stock.
175R16 Austone Taxi Tire $142 from Universal Tire $162 to my door.

Took the old wheel/Tire off and just sat them next to each other its like holy CRAP thats a tall WIDE tire. The guy who mounted it said it would not fit. Well, we stuffed just the tire up into the bike and sure enough iit rubbed all over. Hummmmmm this is not good.

We almost had the orginal wheel and tire put back on when I got to thinking and dicided to try somthing. We got an old 16" rim and mounted the CT on it. Measured it, Measured the bike, Measured the stock. SOOOOOOOOO close ..it might fit, it might not. Now what the hell do we do?

Ok, lets try it and just see. More to satsafiy my curiosity than anything. Too many said it will fit for it not to fit right, I mean I seen it on the internet to its got to be true right? Yanked it off again and started to mount the CT on to the stock Harley 16" rim. (Did I mention it was 104 yesterday and the shop does not have A/C?)

Getting the bead to set as problem, took a shade over 90 pounds and some time to get the bead to seat, just had to leave it set for a bit and then hit it again. The tire was laying out in the sun so it was nice and warm.

When we put it up there clearence was TIGHT. We had machine a spacer for one side and take the difference off of the other side to put the tire in alingment. Had to move it about one seventy thousand to the side. Hungry is NOT one to take 1/2 measures or do things just to get them done. He took the time to machine both a new spacer for 1 side and knock off the extra from the brake on the other.

Once that was all done it did slide up and we bolted it up. The belt guard would not go back on it is going to need major sugery with a dremil tool before it will fit.

I was told this but I had to see it. Clearence is TIGHT but it will fit. Belt is in alingment and everything did bolt up. Last night on the way home I had a wobble about 60-65 mph. We have 40 pounds of air pressure. Im going to play with that today and see what I can do about this wobble.

First impression is good. I have to keep in mind that I do not have my dyna beads put in yet. I didnt get them ordred in time so they will be here Monday or Tuesday. One thing I did notice is that when I hit the rear brake it really stops better. I only drove it home last night about 15 miles so I dont have a lot of information yet. Outside of the fact that I did not crash and burn like some said I would. It did seem to take a bit more counter steer to get it to turn, once in the turn it stayed then POP'ed up it is going to take a bit more work to find my sweet spot and work out the wobble.

As I work out the minor issues I will let ya all know.

Now where are my cookies?

I B Da Monk

[url=Photobucket]Compare[/url][url=Photobucket]Working on the Brake[/url][url=Photobucket]Mounted[/url]

DaMonk47

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

2007 FLHT Darkside Empty FLHT DARKSIDE

Post  ESKIMO Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Congrats AND Welcome See it can be done...find your sweet spot for your air pressure and just give the tire a fair chance to show you what it can do........As far as the cookies go.. they were probably diverted by some of the other members of this site ...we wont name them..but they know who they are.....Have over 16,000 miles on the c/t and no plans on ever goiNg back...........ride safe...now go and try to wear that sucker out................ESKIMO

ESKIMO

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

2007 FLHT Darkside Empty Re: 2007 FLHT Darkside

Post  CaribCruiser Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Congrats and welcome.
Sir you definitely have earned those cookies, but guess what?
Twin's jar is empty.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Kudos for makin' it work on an FLH man!!! You saw my hand and raised me!
I'd bet a paycheck that 36 is gonna be your sweet spot.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 am

bow Congrats sir and great job!

..............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 am

Great news! Great perserverance in 104 temps! Now after you modify your belt guard, you can make copies of it and start a new business selling modified belt guards to other FLH darksiders, and use the forums as advertising. Or you could just present a photo essay of how you modify your belt guard so others can copy it.
Thanks for the great report.

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  DaMonk47 Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:03 pm

When you open your mouth and make your brag, you dam well better follow through on it.
Its supposed to RAIN finally! this weekend so it maybe a while before I
get my belt guard back on.

Per the advice I got here. I added a bit under 2 oz of beads (spilled some)...they are a bitch getting in after the tire is mounted. I am going to add more this weekend. Right now it seems like it is thinking about going into a wobble again, Its not real stable and it seems like it is hunting for somthing at about 32 psi.

Im going to add more beads and get up to the recomended 3oz for rear tires then go up to about 36-38 lbs and see how it works.

Thanks too everyone here for all the advice and help.

Or Maybe I will wait till I get my cookies.

DaMonk47

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Jack her up and spin the wheel, looking at the sidewall markings to make sure they're running parallel to the rim, indicating a full bead seating.
But you probably knew all that.
Hey, you get her up before the rain, you can go out and experience your bike with real BRAKES in the back! I only worry about the front, but it's
an S-11 Bridgestone rear - very sticky in the wet.
Don't forget to wax your windshield with Kiwi neutral shoe polish. You'll thank me.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

2007 FLHT Darkside Empty Last Night

Post  DaMonk47 Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:55 am

I got the rest of the beads added last night. Im at 3oz +/- cause Im not sure how many I spilled but close I think. It was only 97 at 6pm so it was a LOT cooler.
Aired it up to 36lbs.

Just waiting to ride now.
Who knows it may even rain this weekend.
New Bug Smasher will be here Friday.

I B Da Monk

DaMonk47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down