Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stryker tire

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

stryker tire Empty stryker tire

Post  saber Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Holy crap that tire is big I sure hope it fits. I picked up a 245/40-18 based on simular dimensions. It is a General Gmax AS-03, going out now to take off the mc and see if it fits, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
saber
saber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

stryker tire Empty Re: stryker tire

Post  saber Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 am

Well the tire was too big to fit between the fender support, so I had to punt. Went and order a 225/45-18. I was about a 1/2" off on the sides this should be a little better.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 pm

The 225/45-18 worked well.
It is a little over 1 inch taller than the stock tire and at 75mph indicated it will be 79 mph actual, not a problem.
I used a washer on each of the lower belt guard bolt to shim it out some. It corners as expected, especially with a tire with rounded edges.
I also used the Dyna Beads as recommended on this forum, thanks for mounting the advice. The bead mounting pressure on this General Gemax was a surprising 15psi.

stryker tire P3090072

stryker tire P3130081
This is the guard before I added the washers as shims
stryker tire P3130080
This shows the space between the tire and the front of the swing arm.

stryker tire P3130084
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Looks Good!! Congrats
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

On the Stryker site, I am hearing the same old tired arguments. I don’t care, we here know better.
This tire feels real good so far, I can’t wait until it rains to see how it handles on wet surfaces.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

stryker tire Empty re stryker tire

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Looks really good on there.It just gets better from here. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks, I just need to get the air right on the tire. I noticed the tire increased 4 psi when I did some high speed testing.
I also stiffened up the rear shock and need to soften it back up. It felt like I was riding on a hard tail.
In the high-speed sweepers, it handled it well but need to get used to this new bike.
On dirt roads, this is a rut chaser, but not unmanageable.
The thing that happened that I was unfamiliar with, was when I was entering a high-speed sweeper with about a 25 kn cross wind. When I was about 45 degrees turning into the head wind, the bikes front end experienced some steering wobble and straight on the wind buffeting felt as if it was lifting the front wheel from the pavement.

saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 am

With the rear tire being taller you might need to adjust your windshield.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

stryker tire Empty re stryker tire

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I found that too high air pressure on mine caused it to be much more sensative to the ruts. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Could be, the windshield is angled back quite a bit. I was thinking it is the tank angle, being this is a chopper style bike with a 21 inch front tire. The other thing was it felt as my feet were being lifted from the pegs.
I was riding at a high speed testing the capabilities of this bike with the new tire. When we were riding home with the wind at our sides all the bikes were leaning into the wind.
It may be just extreme conditions of the day, and today I will have no problem.

stryker tire Th_P2260069
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Larry I agree, the tire was set to 30 psi when I left the house and when I got home it was at 34 psi. I put it back to 30 psi on the hot tire and will test it more later. Even though the General tire is rated at 168, it may just be crap. I have never used Generals on a car or a bike before.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 pm

I started with the tire psi at 26 and it heated to 28 by the time I got home. I was riding it over the tar-snakes and any grove or rut I could find and it handled much better. I will have to adjust the pressure as ambient increases or decreases.

saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I think the pressures you are running might be a tad low.
I ran a General Grabber on my VTX, Great tire, and used 37psi in it.
In a non-run flat tire most people are using pressures in the 36-40 psi range.
In a run flat tire because of the stiffer sidewalls they use 28-34 psi.
These are all cold pressures, you shouldn't adjust your pressures to compensate when the tire warms up.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 pm

It should be ok, I will check the bikes tire temp as I use the tire to make sure I am not over heating them. My wifes miata calls for 26 psi.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Sat May 26, 2012 10:08 am

I am giving a little update on the Stryker. I put only about 1000 miles on the tire and it is working great.
As recommended, I have been using 41 psi and this bike handles the open road and twisties extremely well.
I also have added my old BMW extra large touring saddlebags, an old hard top case I bought from JC Whitney, and an extra 4-gallon fuel tank from Jegs.
I am turning a street cruiser into a really good long distance touring bike.
Other add ons for comfort are a Mustang seat with backrest, floor boards, Highway bars and foot pegs, and O-ring throttle locks.
To do Items are a lower rain guards and radio or communication system.
This bike will now do the distance with comfort.
Thanks all.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I just put on the same tire (as-03 225/45-18) and I can't get it to bead up, because the beads are just floating around in the drop center of the rim. Can't get it to catch the air. Suggestions? I tried a ratchet strap already...

Mentat Ix

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm

I actually put mine on dry, and we were surprised on how easy it went on. I also had put in the Balance beads before seating and inflation.
Ok
You may have to put some moisture not a lot on the rubber bead, and push the tire enough so it sticks to the one side, then as the tire is upright push the rim to opposite bead enough to just create a seal and it should blow up.
You can use some WD40 if it is really hard to get on, there is a big discussion on this site about it.
You can use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the rim, use a towel over the bucket not to scratch the paint. Then push the bottom bead on as much as you can until it holds, then try to pull the opposite bead close to the rim and start the seal with the air.
The tire should be warm also, is one of the tricks they talk about here.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Yeah, mine seems like it has some kind of lube on the bead from the manufacturer. Not a lot, but it is a little bit slick on the bead. It went right on the rim; I only used one iron for the last little bit getting it on.

I actually am trying it with one side stuck on the bead pretty good, but the gap to the other bead is pretty big. Over an inch.

I need to take a break and feed my boys lunch anyway, I'll set it out in the sun for a bit and then give it a shot. Thanks for the response. Cool

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Maybe it is how it was wrapped , I put 4 of the same brand on my wifes Miata and they didn't have the beads pushed together as you described. If you get one side nearly seated you should be able to push the rim to the opposite bead. If you try the starter fluid take pics or video. You may have to let your facial hair grow back. I am heading fishing with my grandson myself. Good luck
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Sad I'm starting to wonder if I got the same tire you did. The gap is just too big to make it work. I even tried the starter fluid trick and it just started a fire. The sides didn't even flex out a little bit. I let it heat up in the sun for a bit, got it up on a bucket with one side dang near beaded and even had a neighbor give me a hand - we just could not close that gap without lifting the bead off the other side.

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm racking my brain for a solution and not coming up with much. I know a shop in town that has a pnuematic strap to really put the squeeze on it, but I dunno if that will work. I think there's a bead blaster laying about at work some place, but if the starter fluid didn't work I don't see how that will..

Maybe I should take it off and use something to spread the beads apart and leave it that way for a bit? I wonder how long it would take to start holding the new shape a little bit... probably months..

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Problem solved! I just gave up!

I took it to four different places. First one tried and couldn't get it. They referred me to a place, but that place basically told me to pound sand. Went to the Yammy dealership, and they couldn't help me but my favoritest yammy sales manager did tell me who could help, and The Tire Store turned a bead blaster on it and got it on the first go. They didn't even charge me. I tipped they guy 10 bucks because they were awesome.

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Glad to hear you got it mounted. Like they told me run about 41 psi. You may have to put on a couple of washers on the belt guard to increase the clearance. I weigh about 260 lbs and run full BMW touring saddle bags a top case and an extra 4 gallons of gas, and the tire does very well.
I have seen a trailer hitch for a vstar 1300 and I am going to see if I can make it work for my stryker. This is going to be a good workout for the rear tire.
Have a good night, ride it like you stole it as they say.
saber
saber

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm

The belt gaurd is certainly in the way.. I took it off for now. I've had the top one off for a while because it was in the way of my bags.

Maybe I'll put it back on. Maybe not. It was much easier to work with the tire without it on there.

I rode it around a little bit. At first I didn't really see much difference. Feels a little strange, but nothing major. Didn't affect me much in u-turns. But I definitely noticed a ton of difference in swerves. I'm a couple of beers in, though, so after a few minutes in the neighborhood I put it away for the night.

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mentat Ix Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, it was going swimmingly until I hit some railroad tracks pretty hard. Then my tire ate my license plate and most of my tail light. Then my tail light took revenge by gouging the crap of of the tire.

Mentat Ix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next