Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012

+2
smokey2255
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
6 posters

Go down

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  Empty New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

First off I'd like to thank Britman and Coot for hookin' us up with a great ride today when the trip to Mt.Mitchell went to pott because The Blue Ridge Parkway was closed.I would love to do that same ride again on dry roads. We lucked out all day and never had to put on rain gear but we did have to deal with wet roads mostly in the shaded mountain areas. . First couple picture's taken at the closed gate to The Blue Ridge Parkway ( we knew it was closed just used this stop for a photo-op.

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  DSC09523

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  DSC09524

We had 14 bikes show-up with riders from Alabama - Georgia - South Carolina and The Great State Of Tennessee.Lunch was just outside The Highlands in Cashiers, North Carolina ( very good BBQ ).After lunch we split up and headed for home we had ( 7 ) Valkyries in our group coming back to Tennessee. This picture was taken on Hwy.28 just before it turns into two lanes and The Hellbender 28.

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  DSC09529
We cut through The Dragon and did'nt see but two others bikes from The Highlands,NC to Clinton,TN......I'd like to thank everyone that made the ride today I did right at 350 miles today ....14 Bikes that could be a record for The New Year's Day ....Kiss My Ice Ride :cooldude:

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  DSC09531
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  Empty Re: New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 am

Looks like your first ride of the year was a hell of a lot more fun than mine was. Left work at six am 1-1-12 made the 50 mile commute in 38 degrees, with a 40mph+ gusts and pissing a "wintry mix" on me all the way home.
When I got on the interstate I saw a big rig about 3/4 mile up and though if I can catch him I will use him as a wind break. 22 miles later he was about 1 1/2 miles ahead of me. Normally I don't mind the wind but the bike was being thrown about to the point I was ok with 45 at times on the slab. No traffic at all so I didn't hold anyone up. Nor did I get to use thema s a wind break Mad

Glad y'all had a good ride brother.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  Empty Re: New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012

Post  quadancer Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:58 am

Church had me miss the local PolarBear rides, but a bro and I got together after a slight rain and ran up to Dawsonville to visit an injured friend - Ga. was nice and balmy, had us in fingerless gloves and light gear. We rode side by side a lot to keep from drenching each other in the wet spots.

Why is the parkway closed? Frozen up north?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:04 am

quadancer wrote:Church had me miss the local PolarBear rides, but a bro and I got together after a slight rain and ran up to Dawsonville to visit an injured friend - Ga. was nice and balmy, had us in fingerless gloves and light gear. We rode side by side a lot to keep from drenching each other in the wet spots.

Why is the parkway closed? Frozen up north?
We knew going in that we could'nt go to Mt.Mitchell . I made several calls last week and they said ice and snow on top around Mt. Mitchell and from Asheville back to Cherokee they was working on a couple tunnels...The whole damn Blue Ridge is shut down for the most part in North Carolina.
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 am

smokey2255 wrote:Looks like your first ride of the year was a hell of a lot more fun than mine was. Left work at six am 1-1-12 made the 50 mile commute in 38 degrees, with a 40mph+ gusts and pissing a "wintry mix" on me all the way home.
When I got on the interstate I saw a big rig about 3/4 mile up and though if I can catch him I will use him as a wind break. 22 miles later he was about 1 1/2 miles ahead of me. Normally I don't mind the wind but the bike was being thrown about to the point I was ok with 45 at times on the slab. No traffic at all so I didn't hold anyone up. Nor did I get to use thema s a wind break Mad

Glad y'all had a good ride brother.

See you out there
Smokey
Keep it safe my friend...Keep it safe thumbup
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Years Day ...Kiss My Ice Ride 2012  Empty New Years's Day Ride

Post  Bud2Rat Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 am

Glad you fellas had a good ride as well as a good numbeer of riders. I live next to the coast of NC. New Years Day had great weather and I did some 150 miles of riding on the local back country roads enjoying the weather. You guys keep it up right and ride safe. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Bud2Rat

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm

All you guys in the snow and icy area, be even more safe then always.
thx. for the write-up and the pics.
Haven't seen snow or ice in 20 years.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Stump Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Had church and after church there was about 8 of us that rode about 30-35 miles and went back to the church and had some more chilli and good fellowship and after that we headed for home about dark and by that time the temps were droping so it was a good day , The church is called freedom biker church so as you can see I ride with alot of good people. Stay safe and ride hard . budhug

Stump

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down